2000 LX Rear Brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bit the bullet and had a local shop do the front brakes and bearings at the same time. Want to do the rears by myself and was wondering which pads and rotors you all use and a good place to get them. I assume ill prob need emergency brake parts as well.

OEM and whichever dealer is offering the best discount and shipping, often it's Partsouq too. Doubt you'd need new e-brake pads unless you've had a habit of running around with it half on, but greasing the pins on the bell cranks is a good idea while you're in there.

OEM pads

rotors it really doesn't matter. No drills or slots or anything. OEM, brembo blanks. It's just a hunk of steel.

You may want to consider the Hawk LTS pads. I was a long time OEM fan, they're very good pads. A few 200 drivers started using the Hawk LTS and they're a definite improvement. I'd say 20-30% reduction in pedal force. It's definitely noticeable. I haven't replaced the pads on the 100 yet, but I'll go with the Hawk when it's time.

I would say it's enough of a difference from stock that I probably wouldn't install them rear only as it might be a bit much rear bias.

It is a good idea to remove the rear drum and make sure there's no contamination from axle fluid, or anything else. Blow it out with a compressor if you can. The parking brake is mostly about correct adjustment rather than pad replacement.

1671572464453.png

You may want to consider the Hawk LTS pads. I was a long time OEM fan, they're very good pads. A few 200 drivers started using the Hawk LTS and they're a definite improvement. I'd say 20-30% reduction in pedal force. It's definitely noticeable. I haven't replaced the pads on the 100 yet, but I'll go with the Hawk when it's time.

I would say it's enough of a difference from stock that I probably wouldn't install them rear only as it might be a bit much rear bias.

It is a good idea to remove the rear drum and make sure there's no contamination from axle fluid, or anything else. Blow it out with a compressor if you can. The parking brake is mostly about correct adjustment rather than pad replacement.

View attachment 3198008
A cursory search indicates that there seems to be a very mixed bag of reviews by 200 series owners. Multiple 200 owners on MUD say the Hawk pads suck compared to OEM or Tundra TRD pads, some of which even opted to ditch the Hawk pads well before their lifespan was up. I’ve never used the Hawk pads, so have no input, but the longevity of OEM pads is unbeatable.

Hawk in general or Hawk LTS? The LTS are very good pads for the 200.

Last edited:
Hawk in general or Hawk LTS? The LTS are very good pads for the 200.

LTS

Multiple users in that thread were critical of the Hawk LTS and noted marked superiority of Toyota TRD pads, confirming my prior statement.

Last edited:
im surprised no one has mentioned that advics is a vendor on rockauto..advics is aisins brand of brakes for toyota (its literally the toyota part in a different box. hell i even bought my master for my 40 series on there and it had the TEQ stamping down the side of it. i just ordered the front rotors and pads for mine, heres a snippit form my invoice. and for any of you neh - sayers, google advics its not a hard fact to find. aisin and advics have a pretty solid selection on rock auto for brake parts for most toyota platforms. ive used it for my 1st gen runner, my 40, and for a few other projects.

ADVICS​
A6F002URotor
$ 58.79​
$ 0.00​
2​
$ 117.58​
ADVICS​
AD0772Brake Pad
$ 57.79​
$ 0.00​
1​
$ 57.79

A part in a toyota box is way too superior to an AISIN part: The next best option is AISIN or ADVICS.

Advics supplies the brake master pump/assembly for all new toyotas with ATRAC: LC 200, Tacoma, I believe in 4Runner as well.

advics is aisins brand of brakes for toyota (its literally the toyota part in a different box
Not true. Current OEM Toyota pads for the 100 series are JNBK, made in Tokyo.

Not true. Current OEM Toyota pads for the 100 series are JNBK, made in Tokyo.

Ok.. my point is, if someone is looking for quality and the best price, then advics is the game lol.

A part in a toyota box is way too superior to an AISIN part: The next best option is AISIN or ADVICS.

Advics supplies the brake master pump/assembly for all new toyotas with ATRAC: LC 200, Tacoma, I believe in 4Runner as well.

I don’t understand your logic. If advics supplies the parts to Toyota, why is it better just because it can come in a red and white box. Or am I missing the internet sarcasm, which tends to happen.

Ok.. my point is, if someone is looking for quality and the best price, then advics is the game lol.
I agree that Advics or Akebono are the best bang for the buck.

I don’t understand your logic. If advics supplies the parts to Toyota, why is it better just because it can come in a red and white box. Or am I missing the internet sarcasm, which tends to happen.
I have discussed this in few other threads. Toyota specifies their specifications to the manufacturer and they can only make that part for toyota only. If they decided to make it, they have to go by their specifications (quality) and not toyota quality.

Just one example: My 3rd gen 4runner, LC, Sprinter etc., are still in the first alternator (factory) made by Denso and all are above 220K miles. My cousin's 2011 pilot alternator also made by denso and it died at 100K miles. I have dealt with Toyota's since 1990 when we bought our first Toyota hilux (still with us).

They’re not track cars folks. Just get some name brand stuff and be on your way.

I feel like fluid and master cylinder health are a much better use of your time
Like to share my experience with brake pads. When A/M pads are used, you apply too much pressure to brake paddle to bring the car to a stop at highway speeds, however, with OEM Toyota, you can simply tap the brakes and it will bring the car to a stop with less effort. There are so many advantages with oem, good quality friction marerials, very uniform in construction so no binding, no unnecessary sound when applying beakes, less dust production. I have replaced lots of my friends car brakes with oem Toyota pads and shoes and they immidiately reponds saying the ease at which they can stop the car.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Found a set of OEM pads for 60 bucks from a Lexus dealer and then some brembo vented rotors. Once the this arctic blast passes, Im going to change the plugs and get her back on the road for January trips.

FWIW, Advics and NBK are similar/same brake pad shape and thickness but

The Advics brake pads are rated EF
The NBK brake pads are rated FG

FG ratings are superior for coefficient of friction (cold and hot) than EF.

I do not know what the LTS's are, but I select brake pads based on CoF.

LTS

Multiple users in that thread were critical of the Hawk LTS and noted marked superiority of Toyota TRD pads, confirming my prior statement.
That thread is from six years ago, there's much more recent reports of superior performance. You really ought to try a pair and get some personal experience with them, you'll be impressed.

If the evaluation metric for brakes is stopping performance, the Hawk LTS pads do stop much better than stock, no question. Their coefficient of friction is in the neighborhood of 40% greater. The OEM pads may have greater longevity, I can't vouch for that yet (miles to date are in the 5,000 range). Even if so, I'd rather have change out performance pads every few years. An hour of time for this much improvement in performance isn't really a consideration for me. The difference in stopping power isn't small. The first few days after the change I caught myself being jerky with the brakes; if muscle memory applies the same pedal force you're used to it won't be a smooth application. I've not noticed an increase in dusting nor have I had any noise from the pads.

The one thing I've not fully vetted out is their impact on ATRAC or VSC. In theory the computer sampling rate should compensate quickly for the added friction just as it does for responding to changing surface conditions. Those are highly integrated systems, so it's something to consider. Probably no different than changing tire types/sizes. And, again, since this is a 'rear brakes' thread, I would not suggest using them in the rear only as this may mess with brake bias or set the vehicle up for decreased directional stability.

That said, I do agree that Toyota makes excellent products. I've used them for the last dozen or so years on several different Land Cruisers. Hard to beat Toyota quality for sure. For those who use OEM you will be rewarded by solid reliability.

Last edited:
That thread is from six years ago, there's much more recent reports of superior performance. You really ought to try a pair and get some personal experience with them, you'll be impressed.

If the evaluation metric for brakes is stopping performance, the Hawk LTS pads do stop much better than stock, no question. Their coefficient of friction is in the neighborhood of 40% greater. The OEM pads may have greater longevity, I can't vouch for that yet (miles to date are in the 5,000 range). Even if so, I'd rather have change out performance pads every few years. An hour of time for this much improvement in performance isn't really a consideration for me. The difference in stopping power isn't small. The first few days after the change I caught myself being jerky with the brakes; if muscle memory applies the same pedal force you're used to it won't be a smooth application. I've not noticed an increase in dusting nor have I had any noise from the pads.

The one thing I've not fully vetted out is their impact on ATRAC or VSC. In theory the computer sampling rate should compensate quickly for the added friction just as it does for responding to changing surface conditions. Those are highly integrated systems, so it's something to consider. Probably no different than changing tire types/sizes. And, again, since this is a 'rear brakes' thread, I would not suggest using them in the rear only as this may mess with brake bias or set the vehicle up for decreased directional stability.

That said, I do agree that Toyota makes excellent products. I've used them for the last dozen or so years on several different Land Cruisers. Hard to beat Toyota quality for sure. For those who use OEM you will be rewarded by solid reliability.
Na, I’m good with OEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom