285 vs 275 vs 295 etc (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thinking I’m keeping stock 18’s for now and going from 285/60r18 bfg ko2 to 275/70r18 bfg ko2.

Then when I find exactly what I want, I’ll get aftermarket wheels/tires in 17”.

From my experience and others here lt275/70r18 with the factory wheels on a lifted 200 will look less than desired. Get that offset to 45mm or lower and you’ll be much better off. Scrub radius and aesthetically you’ll be happier. 45mm is a good number to be around for suspension geometry/scrub radius. That’s what I run for my daily tires and wheel combo. I do like the 25mm offset from a vanity standpoint, the stance is so much better looking when 34” MTs go on for the trails / rough stuff .

From my experience and others here lt275/70r18 with the factory wheels on a lifted 200 will look less than desired. Get that offset to 45mm or lower and you’ll be much better off. Scrub radius and aesthetically you’ll be happier. 45mm is a good number to be around for suspension geometry/scrub radius. That’s what I run for my daily tires and wheel combo. I do like the 25mm offset from a vanity standpoint, the stance is so much better looking when 34” MTs go on for the trails / rough stuff .

503C5C6D-6C36-46F0-9316-5B02A216B96B.png

This is the look I am anticipating which is a 275/70r18. I have no issues selling the tires I have after I swap them out, nor selling the “new” tires as slightly used in the event I find a set of wheels I like sooner than later.

Thoughts?

View attachment 3197559

This is the look I am anticipating which is a 275/70r18

Thoughts?
Those look like the kenda klever RTs. They are a great tire and run big for their size. I had them on my 200 for around 20,000 miles and was thrilled with them. Off road and on the highway they exceeded all of my expectations. They measure as wide or wider than many 285 tires. Even with my 45mm offset wheels I was slightly rubbing the passenger side sway bar at full steering wheels lock and just millimeters from the driver side KDSS sway bar…and this was with an aftermarket bumper and alignment at around 3 plus degrees of caster….more food for thought.

01120C17-DB49-45CC-9ACA-D59B5086FFD5.jpeg

04B933BB-B46F-4461-9792-DA0C6B755941.jpeg

Would love some evo corse wheels but can’t justify the cost. To be honest, I’m on the fence between falken wildpeak at3w and bf Goodrich ko2 (both in 275/70). I had considered a nitto ridge grappler, Goodyear duratrac or even a mud terrain, but I daily drive this rig.

Would love some evo corse wheels but can’t justify the cost. To be honest, I’m on the fence between falken wildpeak at3w and bf Goodrich ko2 (both in 275/70). I had considered a nitto ridge grappler, Goodyear duratrac or even a mud terrain, but I daily drive this rig.
Go with the falkens, great blend and an excellent choice. I purchased my evos when they were nearly 1/2 the price of what they are now. Hard to rationalize them now. Method and Alpha Equipt wheels are a good option as well as the trusty rock warriors or even just wheel spacers on your OEM wheels.

Go with the falkens, great blend and an excellent choice. I purchased my evos when they were nearly 1/2 the price of what they are now. Hard to rationalize them now. Method and Alpha Equipt wheels are a good option as well as the trusty rock warriors or even just wheel spacers on your OEM wheels.

I’ve had falkens before and numerous bfg’s. I do like the classic look of the white letter out ko2’s. I also didn’t know that bf Goodrich is made by Michelin and the compound of the ko2 is much better than the wildpeak. That being said, after research and talking to AVO (who I got my lift from and performed the install), I should not need to modify my vehicle (sans spacers) if I go with the 275/70. I know they make some great ones now but I’ve always been weary of spacers as well.

I appreciate your input as well as everyone’s opinion but I think I may wait on some method 702’s or rock warriors and proceed with the ko2’s (or wildpeak), unless swayed with a deal on wheels/tires or I hear different.

Just FYI, BFG Ko2's tend to run small for the size.

Just FYI, BFG Ko2's tend to run small for the size.
According to tire measurements, they all “appear” and measure out the same, so is that due to their lugs?

Also, wildpeaks are 61 lbs/ea compared to bf goodrich ko2 being 59 lbs/ea.

Last edited:
Listed measurements are usually not particularly accurate. BFG's have run small for decades, just kind of common knowledge at this point. Probably about 1/4" to 1/2" below the standard measurement (of what the actual tire size should be in a tire size calculator, not necessarily BFG's published size) This may not be the case for every size, but it is definitely the case for the more common sizes.

Listed measurements are usually not particularly accurate. BFG's have run small for decades, just kind of common knowledge at this point. Probably about 1/4" to 1/2" below the standard measurement (of what the actual tire size should be in a tire size calculator, not necessarily BFG's published size) This may not be the case for every size, but it is definitely the case for the more common sizes.

Unless any other opinion is shared as to why I should not go with a 275/70r18 BF Goodrich KO2 vs my 285/60r18 KO2's, please let me know; however, I am not opposed to others like the toyo, nitto, cooper or goodyear.

I am honestly still a little on the fence between the goodyear ultraterrain, goodyear duratrac, BF Goodrich KO2, Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Nitto Ridge Grappler and Toyo Open Country.

285/65R18 fits perfectly w no rub.
Correct, but I want to go tall/skinny. What I gain in height, I will lose in width (-0.49” in width).

83AE1817-8D90-4D83-9D4E-9CCFE6AFE6D3.png

My vote goes for the 275's. Here are some pics of mine with 275's on stock wheels with 1.25" wheel spacers (not necessary, just for stance/looks) and the OEM 10mm front spacers (also not necessary, just for rake/looks). Front mud flaps removed, mild remolding of wheel well liners.

nYwctYk.jpg

vqKfDtR.jpg

oy6it8s.jpg

My vote goes for the 275's. Here are some pics of mine with 275's on stock wheels with 1.25" wheel spacers (not necessary, just for stance/looks) and the OEM 10mm front spacers (also not necessary, just for rake/looks). Front mud flaps removed, mild remolding of wheel well liners.

nYwctYk.jpg

vqKfDtR.jpg

oy6it8s.jpg
looks damn good. I am debating on going white letters out on the ko2's.

I have been running 275/70/18's on the factory wheels with no lift other than the OEM 10mm front coil spacer for nearly two years now. I did add 1.25" wheel spacers but that was more for stance looks than necessity. You will have to loose the mud flaps and possibly do some trimming but nothing major is needed and these fit with ease with a proper lift.

I would recommend an adjustable UCA if going with a proper lift simply to get better adjustment for wheel/tire clearance. I have UCA's and a 2" lift sitting here waiting to go on and I find myself torn on wheels and tires as well. I need to decide between 18's or 17's first and then the tire size will be pretty simple from there, either a 285/75/17 or a 285/70/18 aka 34's.
^I actually use Tex's example to put on my 17. I am 100% stock and besides having issues getting the damn KO2's balanced I just got back from a 2500 mile trip and hit some basic trails and had 0 rub. If I could do it again, I'd honestly get something different (tire wise) just because of the nightmare that was balancing this set of tires.

@devilzdriver i have heard a few also mention these balancing issues with K02s. Curious to know if they lost balance between rotations ? Required excessive weights and still rode terrible ?
My experience is with the following tires and none needed more then 5.5 ounces at max and most needed 3 or less ounces to be road force balanced:
Michelin Defender: 285/60r18 XL
General Grabber ATX: LT285/65R18
Nokian One HT: LT275/70r18
Kenda Klever RT: LT275/70r18
Yokohama G003 : LT285/70r18
Kenda Klever AT/2:LT275/70r18

(C rated 35” K02s but on a different truck so not a good comparison )

Out of the All terrain options the Grabber ATX and Kenda AT2 rode the best and are very similar on the highway. Maybe a slight edge to the ATX’s for on road manners but they did ride a bit stiffer, maybe due to smaller sidewall (65 vs. 70 profile)…..lol my tire problem may be worse then my wife’s shoe habit 😂….in my defense some of these were warrantied out for different tires over the last 5 years.

Currently alternating between the kenda AT/2 for daily use and then swap to the 34” yoko MT’s for the Mud/serious trails. The Kendas are pretty light weight too and weight about 50 lbs and took between 3-4 ounces to balance. Very happy with them.

Last edited:
I have run countless sets of KO2's and all but one tire was flawless with proper balancing (Road Force), proper inflation and 5,000 mile rotation intervals. The one tire that was off was found to have a bad belt and was replaced free of charge. They are a tire more sensitive to proper balancing than most. I have over 50K miles on my current set without an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom