What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (42 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Adding two circuits this week. First a link switch for the Blue Sea ML-RBS 7713 Magnetic Latching - auto release Remote Battery Switch to link an independent auxiliary battery for jump starting or high load needs such as winching. And second a auxiliary reverse light 'lock out' for when the extra lighting is not needed. I was out of real estate on my normal switch positions and looked for somewhere unobtrusive yet reachable.positioning do to the behind the scenes dash framing and mount tab locations. As I had only one shot to destroy the panel, I made a cardboard template and even mounted the switches into position with the template.

C32A3F04-8EE7-431F-BAE7-D45903A09DE0.jpeg

Adding two circuits this week. First a link switch for the Blue Sea ML-RBS 7713 Magnetic Latching - auto release Remote Battery Switch to link an independent auxiliary battery for jump starting or high load needs such as winching. And second a auxiliary reverse light 'lock out' for when the extra lighting is not needed. I was out of real estate on my normal switch positions and looked for somewhere unobtrusive yet reachable.positioning do to the behind the scenes dash framing and mount tab locations. As I had only one shot to destroy the panel, I made a cardboard template and even mounted the switches into position with the template.

View attachment 3194663
Need a pic of that installed in the truck! Looks super clean and OEM. Well done.

Nice! I've seen a LRA GX driving around town but never realized they were local. Maybe this will be the straw that breaks the camel's wallet.

The 30% off BF sale shoulda been the straw that broke the camels wallet :D I bet if you asked them nicely they still give you a little discount on them.

Nice! I am debating on the 12.5 and the 24. How much further does the spare sit lower with the 12.5 installed? Or does the spare tire mount fit back as high as it did prior to the 12.5 install. 90percent of my needs are covered with 12.5. But as I always do I lean toward more is better and it’s not always the right decision.

The debate between 12.5gal or 24gal is really dependent on whether or not you intend to run a swing out tire carrier bumper. The 12.5gal option is really only for those who want to keep a spare tire in the stock location. Otherwise if you're going to get a swing out tire carrier then it makes more sense to get the 24g or 40g tank.

The debate between 12.5gal or 24gal is really dependent on whether or not you intend to run a swing out tire carrier bumper. The 12.5gal option is really only for those who want to keep a spare tire in the stock location. Otherwise if you're going to get a swing out tire carrier then it makes more sense to get the 24g or 40g tank.

Agreed, the 24 gallon really should be the one I am considering but I just don’t want to commit to the swing out, at least not yet.

Agreed, the 24 gallon really should be the one I am considering but I just don’t want to commit to the swing out, at least not yet.

Theres also weight to consider, although not that crucial.
40 gals at 6 lbs, the tank, the carrier and tire all hanging back there, probably a bumper. That all adds up quick.

Theres also weight to consider, although not that crucial.
40 gals at 6 lbs, the tank, the carrier and tire all hanging back there, probably a bumper. That all adds up quick.
Agreed. Appreciate everyone’s input. I think the 24 is the sweet spot. And dealing with a swing out is just part of the equation to make that happen. I have gone back and forth in this probably 20 times.

Agreed. Appreciate everyone’s input. I think the 24 is the sweet spot. And dealing with a swing out is just part of the equation to make that happen. I have gone back and forth in this probably 20 times.

Back and forth? Sounds nice, i just go in circles. Lol

Back and forth? Sounds nice, i just go in circles. Lol
Yeah I have talked myself into each choice multiple times. Came away with that’s the one. Not only to think about it more and change course. Only thing going to stop this perpetual circle is going to be the day it’s done and installed!

I am the same way, just give it a minute and I’ll have a different answer lol. Struggling with wheels at the moment, torn between 17’s and 18’s and offsets and colors and brands/models, it never ends lol.

I am the same way, just give it a minute and I’ll have a different answer lol. Struggling with wheels at the moment, torn between 17’s and 18’s and offsets and colors and brands/models, it never ends lol.

Go 18s! But then again 17s have the best tire options. Hmmm,

Go 18s! But then again 17s have the best tire options. Hmmm,

See, it’s a struggle lol. Braids are always a consideration but I’m not sure I want to drop that kind of coin on something I’ll end up messing up.

See, it’s a struggle lol. Braids are always a consideration but I’m not sure I want to drop that kind of coin on something I’ll end up messing up.

I personally think $500 per is my limit.

Have you seen my post on the upcoming MR318?
thats a solid conteder coming early next year.

I just wish the TRD bbs had a decent offset.

I have a smaller second tank (12 gal oem) and a swing bumper. I found having the option to put the tire back underneath was useful when we got a mtb racer in the family. Now the swing hosts the vertical bike rack most of the year. If I’m going on a 4x trip then I put the tire on The swing and take the rack off. I’ve never wanted more than the 12 g, but for a real mega trip with maybe 150 4low miles it would be a good option to have. In that situation I’d have to carry a jerry

I personally think $500 per is my limit.

Have you seen my post on the upcoming MR318?
thats a solid conteder coming early next year.

I just wish the TRD bbs had a decent offset.

I haven’t seen what they will look like but I’m intrigued. In regards to Methods I like the 703, 707 and 314, but I’ll be forced into a 17” wheel for the first two. KMC has the 542 which looks very much like the 707 and it comes in an 18” in the proper offset for a very good price so that’s tempting but I haven’t heard any feedback on the quality and durability of their wheels so it gives me pause.

The 30% off BF sale shoulda been the straw that broke the camels wallet :D I bet if you asked them nicely they still give you a little discount on them.
I hadn't been considering them intently enough to follow LRA and watch for deals, but I will now. Probably just wait it out until BF next year. It's not an urgent need, more of a 'would be nice to have' if/when I start pulling a trailer.

I've gotta say, I'm not concerned about the Jowett valve getting knocked off. It's behind my ARB skid plate #1 and #2, if a big enough hit to the ARB skid plate damages the Jowett cap, it would've broken the stock cap too

Yeah, I completely understand, and it comes down to personal preference. I'm not really super worried about it either way, but the probabilities still come into play in my mind. There's a 0% chance a rogue stick will catastrophically damage a plug bolt. There's a non-zero chance with the drain valve.

And I'm not thinking about a stick turning the valve lever, I'm thinking of it breaking the valve off at the base, so that there's basically no chance of keeping any oil in after that to get off the trail. It's probably an almost-zero chance, but it's still non-zero. It's basically a thin tube keeping the whole vehicle mobile; a single failure point.

I do have Slee sliders that protect that oil pan plug, but looking down there it's still possible to see how a freak 1:1,000,000,000 chance/ bad-luck could force a branch in there sideways.

Plus, it means I don't ever think about it when I'm driving. That wasn't the case when I had the valve. That peace of mind makes it worth it to me.
I totally get the non zero chance with a valve (Fumoto, EZ, etc). With that said, how many of you run switches with relays to lockers, etc that could potentially also leave you stranded if the relay gave up the ghost on the trail? Also a non zero chance of being stranded. Risk tolerance is to each their own, but I will continue to use oil drain valves until I get a visit from Murphy.

I haven’t seen what they will look like but I’m intrigued. In regards to Methods I like the 703, 707 and 314, but I’ll be forced into a 17” wheel for the first two. KMC has the 542 which looks very much like the 707 and it comes in an 18” in the proper offset for a very good price so that’s tempting but I haven’t heard any feedback on the quality and durability of their wheels so it gives me pause.

I ended up going 18" Method NV305 double black with the 25mm offset considering my use of the vehicle. Unfortunately though, the options are fairly limited, so unless you find a wheel you like, you might be forced into 17s. I'm somewhat concerned how they'll look, but will post photos once installed tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom