Bilstein 6112/5160 Installed (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Supra Turbo I don't like their green either. But I got over it when I needed to buy heavy duty 880 LBS rear coils and the old man emu black ones were $440 and the Ironman were $176 shipped during one of their many sales. I thought about painting them to match my Kings, but was too lazy. I just do not look under my truck often.

In my search over the past week, the Bilsteins are actually slightly cheaper than Ironman.. even with Ironman current 25% Black Friday sale, which I would assume their best deal of the year around $1600 right now.

Some of the other shocks can utilize the metal protectors/guards, such as those offered by Trail Tailor. I have yet to see any indication that those or any other fit these shocks. I would want any shock I install to utilize protectors.
Yeah, ok. I still don't think it's really an issue tho. I mean, obviously it is if you are unlucky enough to actually rip the lower shock mount off on a rock but I just don't think that's all that common

I agree with these comments. I have since moved back to stock rear springs with 30mm spacers and the front on 4th perch. This to me has been the sweet spot for stock weight (3rd row) I only have 0.5" rake
View attachment 3165137
Beautiful truck. I've got a blizzard pearl 16 that I'm getting ready to run this exact setup on. 270/70R18 General Grabbers ATX. How much lift did this setup get you? Which spacer did you use for the rear? Are you getting any rubbing?

Anyone know if this is the heavy duty front springs??

D1A2F418-7D26-4FB0-B341-B6DD1FA21FDE.jpeg

Beautiful truck. I've got a blizzard pearl 16 that I'm getting ready to run this exact setup on. 270/70R18 General Grabbers ATX. How much lift did this setup get you? Which spacer did you use for the rear? Are you getting any rubbing?
Sorry for the late reply, I never saw this post...
If you go with 275/70-R18 with no wheel spacers, there should not be any rub, I never did even before the lift. When I added 0.75" wheels spacers (purely for looks) then you run into rubbing, I moved the from fender lining forward and trimmed the mud flaps, so don't add wheel spacers ;)
As for the lift I've got about 2.25" up front on 4th perch and 1.5" in the rear compared to stock... the rear spacer however is about 1" (30mm) BUT the Bilstein shocks added 0.5"
The spacers are from eBay...

Sorry for the late reply, I never saw this post...
If you go with 275/70-R18 with no wheel spacers, there should not be any rub, I never did even before the lift. When I added 0.75" wheels spacers (purely for looks) then you run into rubbing, I moved the from fender lining forward and trimmed the mud flaps, so don't add wheel spacers ;)
As for the lift I've got about 2.25" up front on 4th perch and 1.5" in the rear compared to stock... the rear spacer however is about 1" (30mm) BUT the Bilstein shocks added 0.5"
The spacers are from eBay...
Excellent: thank you sir for your response! Cheers!

20221204_115745.JPG

Uh?

Some of the other shocks can utilize the metal protectors/guards, such as those offered by Trail Tailor. I have yet to see any indication that those or any other fit these shocks. I would want any shock I install to utilize protectors.

The shock protectors are more for race style shock designs that have the hardened shaft in the lower position. These Bilstein's and almost all OEM truck shocks are mounted inverted to keep the shaft higher up and protected. With a boot to keep long terms sandblasting at bay. Guess it's possible to hit the remote reservoir, but anything can be destroyed and I've seen fair share of protectors cause issues in themselves.

20221204_134425.JPG

Rides so much better. But that isn't difficult compared to a blown shock. OEM spacer and 1st perch, should yield approximately 2" of lift.

I picked up 2013 with 6112(5th perch)/5160 and Bilstein rear coils . Front driver side is a little higher than rear driver. I'm not at all a fan of a rear dip. I noticed that one of the KDSS bolts doesn't appear to be fully recessed, so I'm going to first get it on the lift next week to reset the KDSS and see if that changes anything. If not, I may drop it down a perch.

I assume the right way to remove and reinstall the snap-ring is to remove the shock completely? I would welcome any tips on this.

IMG_9626.JPG

IMG_9629.JPG

You need to compress the spring to move the snap ring to move the perch. So if you think you can get the front end of the truck in the air and sneak a spring compressor in to do that, great! Otherwise, yes, remove it completely.

Hey guys got everything put on finally. Here's the run down:
Bilstein 6112/5160 5th perch
2721 rear springs
SPC UCAs
+40 Evo Dakars
285/75/17 Wildpeaks(34")

First impressions:
Love the way it drives, the rear springs are admittedly a little too stiff for no added weight(someone on here warned me about this) but it gave the height I wanted.

Tires rubbed slightly on fender liners, 10 mins with heat gun solved the problem. Also removed the front mud flaps
Drivers side still rubs the kdss bar in reverse barely. I'm thinking of the slee relocation kit to fix this?
Edit: checked the wheel well space and the UCA caster can be adjusted more and I'm pretty sure I'll have zero rub after I get this don

I didn't take before measurements and can't remember the after measurements, but I have a about 1/2" lean to the passenger side and about 3/4" of rake which is about as good as it gets in my opinion.

Just wanted to give everyone an update and how my personal experience went with tire fitment etc cause there's a lot of varying information and opinions out there. Looking back I wish I would've got +35 or +30 wheels, and probably would've made my tire rub better. But oh well.
Sorry for the crap pic

20221216_185823.jpg

Last edited:
I have no added weight in rear will it be better to use stock spring over bilsteins?

I have no added weight in rear will it be better to use stock spring over bilsteins?
Depends what height setting you go with in the front. Bilstein does make a spring that will lift and is softer now but not sure how much lift it actually gains.

I am putting a full size 34" spare underneath and prinsu roof rack though (waiting for tire on backorder) so hoping that little added weight helps a bit, who knows

I picked up 2013 with 6112(5th perch)/5160 and Bilstein rear coils . Front driver side is a little higher than rear driver. I'm not at all a fan of a rear dip. I noticed that one of the KDSS bolts doesn't appear to be fully recessed, so I'm going to first get it on the lift next week to reset the KDSS and see if that changes anything. If not, I may drop it down a perch.

I assume the right way to remove and reinstall the snap-ring is to remove the shock completely? I would welcome any tips on this.

View attachment 3193631

View attachment 3193635
Hey did you ever get your truck leveled out? I'm thinking of swapping my 2721 ARB coils for the bilsteins but I'm also on the 5th perch.

I'm thinking maybe the Bilstein springs and a 10mm spring spacer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom