100 Series Rear Seats in an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice work on the mounting plate. Yeah haven't been online for some time, but this time I received an email notification. Go figure?

I don't have the measurements. I made a wooden template and had the seat mounts bolted to it for a temporary fit. Then gave it to the laser cutter and he programmed it into his system.
The machine did all the work and cut it out of 10mm plate.

That business has since closed, so took the measurements with them :-(
There he is 😎

Thanks for the inspiration man! Worked out great.

How did you handle the seatbelts? Did you install the 100 series seatbelts or swap in 80 series receivers?

Last edited:
You mean 100 series seatbelts/buckles? The 100 series seats already have the 100 receivers in them. Let me know please - doing that this weekend.
Didn't need to do anything with the middle belt. For the two side belts, left the 80 series retractable belt there and swapped the two 100 series receivers with the 80 series.

So that's 100 series in the middle and 80 series for the sides.

Didn't need to do anything with the middle belt. For the two side belts, left the 80 series retractable belt there and swapped the two 100 series receivers with the 80 series.

So that's 100 series in the middle and 80 series for the sides.
Thanks man. Any tips on how to replace those? I’ve never taken backseats apart and don’t know where to start.

I made it several years ago. All mount plates welded to body
D7B25991-E692-4C47-A740-68817D3316FB.jpeg
3AB58BB1-B637-44DF-BC53-7D15B82B2BF8.jpeg

Wanted to update this thread. First off have to give credit to the OP for the inspiration as I was in the same situation as him with 3 kids in boosters and needed a functional shoulder belt for the middle seat.

I first explored a vendor in the UK that comes to you in a van and installs a seatbelt behind the 2nd row for the middle seat. They don't have a presence stateside, and would not ship the kit to me to install by myself. I also bought a 5 point harness from Wesco, which was my backup solution albeit a less favorable one since the belt is either too constricting or too loose.

Since anything worth doing is worth doing right, I went with the same solution as the OP. I sourced a 2nd row seat and all accompanying hardware and brackets from a junkyard, as well as the 2nd row pillar seatbelts. Then reached out Stellar Built in Sacramento, a 4x4 custom fab shop, and shared the two fuzzy pictures from this thread with them. These guys know what they are doing, and that was enough for them to get started.

They built a bracket from 1/4" plate, similar to the original, and welded the 100 series mounting hardware to them. The plate itself mounts to the original 80 series mounting holes. The carpet fits under it nicely too. Best part is with this design the seat retained all of its folding functionality, and are fairly easily removable like the stock seats.

It sounded like a couple of folks were interested in this mod, so may be worth contacting the shop since they now have a design they can reproduce now that they did the initial R&D.

The only other thing I have to figure out this weekend is whether the 100 series seatbelts will bolt into the 80 series seatbelt locations. For some unknown reason, the 80 series buckles don't work with the 100 series receivers. The backup plan is to swap the 80 series receivers onto the 100 series seats, but I have no idea how to take the seats apart to swap them out. So hopefully the 100 series seatblets will bolt up.

Hope this helps folks with 3 kids continue using their LC for family outings. My kids are absolutely stoked to get back into the 80.

Here are some pictures of the process and the final product:

View attachment 2901220
View attachment 2901218
View attachment 2901221
View attachment 2901223
View attachment 2901225
View attachment 2901227
Thanks for the great writeup and pics! Both of you. I also have 3 little girls and the youngest, currently in a car seat, will be moving out of it next year.

For the donor lx470, what components did you need other than the seats themselves? There is a local(ish) wrecker with a lx470 I need to investigate.

Thanks again,
Andrew

Thanks for the great writeup and pics! Both of you. I also have 3 little girls and the youngest, currently in a car seat, will be moving out of it next year.

For the donor lx470, what components did you need other than the seats themselves? There is a local(ish) wrecker with a lx470 I need to investigate.

Thanks again,
Andrew
I got the seats themselves, seatbelts (more on this below), and seat brackets that are bolted down to the floor. Plus all of the hardware.

For seatbelts I ended up sending my 80 series rear seatbelts to SafetyRestore, along with the 100 series buckles. When they serviced the 80 series belts and replaced the webbing, they installed the 100 series buckles onto them. This way I kept the 100 series receivers that are attached to the seats, since the 80 series receivers didn't fit quite right.

I got the seats themselves, seatbelts (more on this below), and seat brackets that are bolted down to the floor. Plus all of the hardware.

For seatbelts I ended up sending my 80 series rear seatbelts to SafetyRestore, along with the 100 series buckles. When they serviced the 80 series belts and replaced the webbing, they installed the 100 series buckles onto them. This way I kept the 100 series receivers that are attached to the seats, since the 80 series receivers didn't fit quite right.

Thanks for the quick reply sir! The buckles you needed were ON the 100 series bench, right? You didn't need the ones attached to the 100 series chassis?

All the brackets were simply bolted to the floor in the 100.. no need to cut anything out? I'll need to be specific when asking the wrecker (otherwise I am sure I will not get what I need!)

thanks again :) :)
Andrew

Thanks for the quick reply sir! The buckles you needed were ON the 100 series bench, right? You didn't need the ones attached to the 100 series chassis?

All the brackets were simply bolted to the floor in the 100.. no need to cut anything out? I'll need to be specific when asking the wrecker (otherwise I am sure I will not get what I need!)

thanks again :) :)
Andrew
You want the 100 series buckles, so you need the two seatbelts attached to the chassis pillars. The center one you don't need to mess with.

I got all of the brackets and bolts off the 100 series donor from the junk yard, they were welded to the floor bracket and attached to the 100 series rear seat.

You want the 100 series buckles, so you need the two seatbelts attached to the chassis pillars. The center one you don't need to mess with.

I got all of the brackets and bolts off the 100 series donor from the junk yard, they were welded to the floor bracket and attached to the 100 series rear seat.

Thanks sir. I'll report back here with my progress once I can source some seats. Hard to come by in Canada...

Progress update! Brock Smith from Metamorphosis, a local fab genius, made me the brackets out of 3/8 steel and the original donor 100 series bracket pieces. Placement is perfect, and all seat functionality is retained. Bolts up to the original 80 series seat mounting locations.

PXL_20231219_023911705.MP.jpg

PXL_20231219_024328652.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20231219_023855452.MP.jpg

I've determined that the webbing (belt itself) along with the seat buckle and shoulder piece can be moved from the 100 series retractor drum onto the 80 series retractor simply by extending the belt out and sliding the dowel from the centre of the drum. This allows the 100 series belts to be used, compatible with the 100 series receivers, and keeps the original safety configuration of the 80 series retractor where it's supposed to be.

PXL_20231219_033725597.jpg

I took a couple days to clean the 100 series belts in soapy water and let dry. Then today when I went to bolt them in I had a slight hiccup - on the 80 series, the seat belt tab on the bottom is bolted through the body into the captured plate on the inside of the fender. It's a solid piece that bolts down and doesn't move. However, the 100 series belts have a swivel, so the hole in the tab is wider, with the intent to use a seat belt bolt that has an integrated shoulder in it.

PXL_20231223_205516878.jpg
\

Unfortunately the 100 series bolt shoulder on the floor is waaaay too long, because it goes up through all the plastic trim on the 100 series. And if I was to use the 80 series seat belt bolt, the bolt would be too small for the hole in the 100 series tab.
100 series floor bolt:
PXL_20231223_213930089.jpg

Luckily, all the seat belt thread patterns are the same across all vehicle manufacturers, 7/16-20 - yes that's correct, imperial thread on even Toyota, Honda, etc. So I went up to a friends place who parts out vehicles and found seat belt bolts that are not only the perfect length, but have the perfect length and width shoulder on the bolt too. They are from the 2nd row shoulder belts on a 02-06 Honda CRV.

PXL_20231224_000437562.jpg
PXL_20231224_000447650.MP.jpg

The only other thing to do is the bottom plastic trim piece on the 80 needs a half moon shaped bit trimmed out, so the 100 series tab can rotate and the seat belt can pull straight up like it's supposed to without the plastic getting in the way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom