69 FJ40 build - 5.3 with H55f (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice. I had read threads about people having trouble finding the 9mm, so I never bothered to look. I'm not sure of the front axle, but it has brand new Wilwood calipers. So I'll just get the soft lines and use an adapter to fit them.

20221211_203837.jpg

Nice. I had read threads about people having trouble finding the 9mm, so I never bothered to look. I'm not sure of the front axle, but it has brand new Wilwood calipers. So I'll just get the soft lines and use an adapter to fit them.

View attachment 3192929

View attachment 3192929
If it has disc brakes, it's most likely not a 69 unless someone converted it. Brake lines aren't that bad either with the copper/nickel alloys. Easy to bend and make flares. To bad I don't live closer, cuz I'd be talking you into doing those things and helping you out with it!

I'd be 100% in on that! I'm always around 80% sure about what I want to do, and I'd really benefit from someone else standing next to me with another perspective to bounce things off.

To anyone watching that hasn't seen Mightymes projects, check them out. I've seen a couple in person and he's doing some awesome stuff!

So.... I can see that I'll be terrible at updating my progress. Yes, work is busy, and we just trudged through the holidays. But I have been getting some things done.

Purchased:
Dakota Digital gauges
Stand a lone LS harness for manual transmission
Clutch master and slave
Teflon fuel line and AN fittings

Actual work done:
Fabricated transmission crossmember
Welded engine mounts
Pulled engine/ tranny out to clean
Welded a PO cut hole in firewall

Nothing exciting, but like a cruiser buddy of mine keeps telling me, just do a little something each day and you'll stay interested and get it done.

20221222_155202.jpg

20221225_213926.jpg

20221231_163313.jpg

20221231_170211.jpg

20221222_155149.jpg

Slow and steady wins the race. Right?

I cleaned up and painted my firewall, inside and out, as well as welding up holes on my dash and some random ones on the body, while I was at it. I wanted to get these areas done before I stab the engine in there a last time to get it running.

I started out with a solid attempt at Cadet Blue, but my wife pushed towards a denim blue that is a but between Heath Gray and Capri Blue. I like it but I'm going to second guess until I actually start putting it back together. Here's a few pics. In the picture it comes across very gray, but in person there's definitely a blue influence.
20230320_061319.jpg

One wrench in the process is the fact that I picked up another 40 last week that has a great original look to it that has me really torn on which one to "make my own" and which one to let go of. It's a good problem to have.
20230329_161633.jpg

Slow and steady wins the race. Right?

I cleaned up and painted my firewall, inside and out, as well as welding up holes on my dash and some random ones on the body, while I was at it. I wanted to get these areas done before I stab the engine in there a last time to get it running.

I started out with a solid attempt at Cadet Blue, but my wife pushed towards a denim blue that is a but between Heath Gray and Capri Blue. I like it but I'm going to second guess until I actually start putting it back together. Here's a few pics. In the picture it comes across very gray, but in person there's definitely a blue influence.View attachment 3290894

One wrench in the process is the fact that I picked up another 40 last week that has a great original look to it that has me really torn on which one to "make my own" and which one to let go of. It's a good problem to have.
View attachment 3290896

Said you're picked up a 1977 model, is this it? Spare tire carrier, hard top, roll bar and side door mirrors all look like a 76 model. Does it have the welded shut vent in the center of the cowl. Looks the same as my 10/75 76 model except for the three point seat belts that started 1/76.
The carrot 044.jpg

Said you're picked up a 1977 model, is this it? Spare tire carrier, hard top, roll bar and side door mirrors all look like a 76 model. Does it have the welded shut vent in the center of the cowl. Looks the same as my 10/75 76 model except for the three point seat belts that started 1/76.
View attachment 3305786
I had picked up a 77 several months ago and ended up selling it to another MUD member. The yellow one in the pic is a 76 that I stumbled upon recently. Build date of August 1976

Know you started the thread with a 69 which said was replaced by a 77. 8/76 was the change over month from 76 to 77. Because of that wouldn't be the first time a state decided to register a vehicle for another model year than Toyota. But a search found this must be the 77? It is possible to change your thread to the current 76.
20221112_150815.jpg

I also see you are a former Wisconsinite. I lived there a life time ago. Been in AZ a majority of the time since.

Nope, it was never replaced with the 77. I'm still doing this build on my 69. I sold the blue 77 you have pictured. It's just gotten a little messy because I haven't done much on it, and I keep picking up other trucks and talking about them.

Sorry for the confusion.

Curious, where are you sourcing the 40's ?
No secrets there. I think i do what most of us addicts do on mud. I just keep looking on Craigslist, offerup and marketplace every day for parts. If a 60 or 40 pops up for a decent deal, or one needs to be saved from rotting away in a field I'll snatch it up!

Luckily in Arizona, 50 or 60 year old cars can still be salvageable!

If my truck looks familiar to you Phoenix Craigslist perusers, it's because I had it listed for sale recently. I picked up a 77 FJ40 awhile back and was having trouble figuring out which one to keep so I let the universe decide for me by putting both up for sale. Another local mud member, i don't know his handle, bought it to build. I bought some parts off him awhile back and saw some of his work. His rigs are nothing short of amazing too.

Think my confusion is it was never clear which one you sold. Thought the 77 replaced the 69, which in turn was replaced by a 76.

Curious, where are you sourcing the 40's ?

No secrets there. I think i do what most of us addicts do on mud. I just keep looking on Craigslist, offerup and marketplace every day for parts. If a 60 or 40 pops up for a decent deal, or one needs to be saved from rotting away in a field I'll snatch it up!

Luckily in Arizona, 50 or 60 year old cars can still be salvageable!

I've stopped searching cruisers and cruiser parts. I have a surplus of both. I lack room and time for them. Nothing rots away while in my care.

I have a brake question buried in this post....thanks for taking the time to take a look!

It's been a long time for an update. I have been moving forward with this '69 and actually have it at a guy's shop to get the wiring completed on the LS and to possibly tidy up some other items. I don't have any new progress pics at the moment, but I'm cautiously optimistic I'll have this thing running sometime this winter.

I wanted to lay out my plan for the brakes to get some buy in from those that may have more of a clue than I do. I have an 80 series non abs brake master, Cityracer disk brake booster with proportioner. The front axle has been converted to disks and I still have the stock (I assume) rear axle with drums.

My plan is to buy the pre-made later model fj40 hard brake lines to install. In my head...that should give me the configuration dual circuit for front and rear to add the proportioning valve. Please correct me of there's a flaw in that theory.

For the rear axle, I figured I can update to a later model wheel cylinder so the lines thread right in. I examined a 78's rear axle the other day and the mounting holes for the wheel cylinders appear to match exactly what my 69 has. Without the ability to pull off drums for the two rigs to compare, I'm slightly concerned there may be some other differences inside the drums that would not work on the 69 with the newer cylinders. Does anyone have experience going cross years with cylinders that can give me thumbs up or thumbs down on this? I sort of posed this question earlier and it was suggested to get the right wheel cylinders for the year and use an adapter for the different thread size into the back of the cylinder, but since I'm buying new either way, I guess I'd prefer to avoid the adapter.

Any input on this would be appreciated! I'll post pics and opinions on the LS and H55 when I can.

Nick

I don't have much for pics regarding progress, but I wanted to update my build...if for any reason... to let others know this is not another looong project that got sold off or something. If you're in the trenches with your build, you're not alone. Despite the frustrations and feelings of inadequacy to move the ball forward like you think you should, keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Ok, therapy session over.

The ol' gal runs! I was able to get a guy to put in the LS harness for me so that I can at least start the engine. The harness install was probably one of the easier projects I have left, but in the spirit of accomplishing something, I farmed it out.
I also just received my new rear driveshaft from Tom Woods. I had to have something made up to fit the flange from the newer split case and mate up to my original flange for the 69 rear axle. I've never dealt with any custom shafts before and was a little reluctant with the prospect of trying to configure things and hunt down Frankenstein parts to make something work. But the Tom Woods sight allowed me to pick exactly what I needed and I couldn't be happier (except for the fact they sent the wrong nuts for the bolts on the t-case flange. Money well spent, I feel.

20240218_164145.jpg

LS sitting pretty. I have the battery and intake piping temporarily mocked up for the sake if getting to hear it run. I plan on reconfiguring much of everything when I can have all of the pieces in place. I've had some wins and losses with figuring out the right exhaust manifolds. I'll detail that at a later date. I feel like I may be able to give some good direction for others going LS with a Toyota manual transmission.

20231209_121424.jpg

20231125_122327.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom