Block heater (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i’m not knocking it as i have an oil pan heater too. i just know that when i only use an oil pan heater my truck swears at me in -30C. when i have the webasto and no oil pan heater it fires right up and runs like when i start it in summer. it’s really not a competition.

now the kind of heater that goes in a bung in the oil pan may work better but mine doesn’t seem to create enough heat to make an appreciable difference. i use 15w40 all year too so it’s pretty thick at that temp
I found my pad heater did almost nothing mounted on the bottom of the pan because of the ribs, I moved it to the side of the lowest part of the sump (if that makes sense) and it seems to work better. This is the first year I’m not using my 80 as a winter daily and I can’t say I’m missing it, except for the snowstorm days.

The key to cold weather starts are:
Functioning glow system
Good battery/batteries
Fuel lines, winter fuel, fuel conditioners for extreme cold.
Fuelling, sometimes a bit of pedal goes a long way.
For starting without drama install an engine block heater,
A block heater doesn't give a s*** about oil. I run 15w40 all year round. We see -30C or colder.
If you are off grid then Espar/Webasto are the cats ass!
I'd say 130 degrees from a convection heater is a great way to start your day.

Why are you running 15W40? You'll get better results all year round with a 10W40 or even 5W40. 10W40 is about the same price.

I agree with above. Have switched to 5w40 for winter months and starts are easier. Am also running a webasto coolant heater.

I'm more concerned about oil in a warm engine as opposed to a cold start. Heat kills everything!

@Squash, that is a very good point. I usually change to 15w40 in the spring. Not one shred of science to back any of this up. Just observation from starts and running it through the seasons.

@Squash, that is a very good point. I usually change to 15w40 in the spring. Not one shred of science to back any of this up. Just observation from starts and running it through the seasons.
5w40 and 15w40 are approximately the same viscosity at operating temp. I run 5w40 year round.

The purpose of the post was engine heating. I have good heating and therefore can run 15w40, not to say I will never change viscosity.

I'm more concerned about oil in a warm engine as opposed to a cold start. Heat kills everything!
The 40 is the warm rating, a 0W40, 5W40, 10W40, 15W40 etc all are in the same viscosity band at 100C and provide the same protection in the hot.

There is a further rating called HTHS (High Temperature High Stress) which measures oil viscosity at 150C. But if our engines get oil that hot they're probably on fire!

View attachment 3186382View attachment 3186382
Zerostart convection heater
1000 or 1500 wattts
Kit comes with 5/8" hose adapter fitting, tie in to upper heater hose at fire wall with supplied "Y".
Best to keep heater controls in cab on defrost so heated coolant can circulate. On cold days you will even see clearing of the lower part of windshield.
I take the front tire off to gain better access.
How do those do long term with all the heat cycles and coolant pressure?

No issues with these.
It is so nice to have heat in the morning.
I can probably install on a Hdt in under 10 minutes.
Remove the front tire and skirting for primo access.

20221201_084233.jpg

24v Webasto Thermo Pro 50 Eco with Smart Controller 2.0 NIB complete kit

$2000 setup.

$1250 shipped from TX

I got 24v system and needed 12v... :/

20221201_075955.jpg

Last edited:
-43C with windchill today and its seats are cold as ice and rock hard, yet the mighty Hilux started with no problems......plugged in of course.......:smokin:
1992 Toyota LN107 Double Cab 4x4 5 Spd. a8.JPG

Rocky Mtn Hilux
🇨🇦

Last edited:
Cold is cold but cars don't care about windchill. Regardless I'm happy to have heated parking at work on days like today.

yep wind chill doesn’t count. but -40 is still bloody cold for any vehicle

you know when your tires are square for the first km you drive it’s cold!

Last edited:
-40 here today and i literally started my truck 30 seconds ago. already above the lowest heat bar!

62346B0A-7436-4864-A265-B11A0727E189.jpeg

webasto for the win. just sayin!!

now if only i could get my seat heater to come on early!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom