Best vechicle I have ever driven in snow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We had a blizzard yesterday upstate NY got 6-8 inches I had to go out run some errands etc was driving for 4 hours in the blizzard. I never once felt the truck was not in control it did not slide there was 0 drama. I have Bridgestone blizzacks on the truck, I was passing people in lifted trucks who were doing 10-20 mph.

I am completely floored from driving it, I have never driven something so big that is graceful and not sketchy at anytime during driving. Sorry for the rambling but I am just over the moon with my truck right now lol.

We had a blizzard yesterday upstate NY got 6-8 inches I had to go out run some errands etc was driving for 4 hours in the blizzard. I never once felt the truck was not in control it did not slide there was 0 drama. I have Bridgestone blizzacks on the truck, I was passing people in lifted trucks who were doing 10-20 mph.

I am completely floored from driving it, I have never driven something so big that is graceful and not sketchy at anytime during driving. Sorry for the rambling but I am just over the moon with my truck right now lol.
Funny that you brought this up...
Yesterday I drove home from Montana to Sacramento. Big snow in the Sierras. I took the only route still open. The 80 series on 33" KO2s was like a snowmobile.
I did a similar trip on my 200 with the stock Dunlops. I'd be going 50 steady as a rock past all manner of lifted beasts like they were in park.
I told my wife just last night that they were equal in the snow.
Friends, that's a good thing!
Happy holidays.

My rusty 80s was the best snow vehicle. Better than the 200. I don’t remember which tires it had but the 80 was predictable and I was able to toss it around. The other vehicle that was close to it was 2006 evo awd with snow tires. That thang ripped through the snow.

I very well may drive from central Texas to slc this year instead of fly in large part to have my cruiser instead of a rental.

It did amazing last year in SW CO on Toyo AT3s. I slept in it at wolf creek pass where a reported 14” fell around it overnight, on top of what was on the ground when I got there. snow was pushing out of the way when I opened the doors. It drove right out of that beautiful mess.

I don’t do a lot of snow driving but I want this vehicle when I do.

The feeling of control in the snow and ice is deceiving. All vehicles are going to have issues stopping in slippery stuff no matter how fancy their drive train is.
The fool on the road during snow & ice is the vehicle that’s passing everyone else.
The 4WD vehicles that are driving slow, real slow, have experienced drivers in them. They know that things can get totally out of control in an instant

My LX gets driven the least of all my vehicles in the winter. My MB e 4matic and Subaru legacy will run circles around it, which isn’t surprising given they weight thousands of pounds less. The Tesla is about the same as the LX. None are bad, have Nokian Hakka’s on all.

Up until I bought a 3/4 ton truck I thought the 100/200 were the best. But there's really no substitute for 10,000 lbs on a long wheelbase... The Land Cruisers do very well, but a full size truck is a notch above, at least on the highway. 'Merica.

6-8” is a blizzard?
Haha, I didn’t catch that. I’ve gotten >40” at my house in the last 5 days. 18” last night.

320610CF-93CB-4BF3-9039-413BA05F4D66.jpeg

CEF8A6F4-DE14-4B50-8A68-A257FBEE9A8F.jpeg

BB1B40C5-C0CF-4BD9-85D5-E15604F876C9.jpeg

Austin checking in, 70-80 degrees.

@OregonLC
Up until I bought a 3/4 ton truck I thought the 100/200 were the best. But there's really no substitute for 10,000 lbs on a long wheelbase... The Land Cruisers do very well, but a full size truck is a notch above, at least on the highway. 'Merica.

Yes, wheelbase does wonders for stability.

Here near Albany we only got around 3 inches and Albany itself where my work is was actually hit harder which is a surprise seeing how it’s usually the opposite.

I’ve always felt very secure in my 100, and even though it’s retired for the winter so it doesn’t die a premature death from salt cancer despite yearly undercarriage oil treatments, I wouldn’t hesitate to pull it out and drive it in a snowpocolypse if one occurs. That being said, using good judgment is always the best choice, and I never get cocky like some Subaru or Jeep drivers that tend to fly by and then end up on the side of the road.

I took the 200 out yesterday when things had calmed down and some of the less-traveled backroads near me weren’t plowed too well so I was able to get an idea of how it would handle (this is my first winter with it). I took it down a seasonal access road that I frequent in my backyard and it didn’t even wince, albeit there was only 3”of snow, but still. Tires are new 285/65/18 Falken AT3W that do well in the snow (or they seem to just as well as the Cooper STMaxx and Nitto Ridge Grapplers I have had on the 100, time will tell) for not being dedicated snow tires.

Also, my driveway is 1/4 mile long and half of it is steep uphill so AWD/4WD is a must in the winter, though my daily driver Camry with studded Nokians made it up today with some minor “drama.”

Last edited:
My rusty 80s was the best snow vehicle. Better than the 200. I don’t remember which tires it had but the 80 was predictable and I was able to toss it around. The other vehicle that was close to it was 2006 evo awd with snow tires. That thang ripped through the snow.

Love the 200, never had an 80 in the snow, but EVO's are otherworldly on almost every road surface I've slid them around on. I was actually looking at EVO X's last night as a 'practical' yet 'fun' car.

Driving up in the midwest for the past 50+ years, with our slushy, heavy, wet snow mixed with ice, just remember this: It doesn't matter how great your vehicle drives on snow, or what tires you're using. What almost always causes an accident is someone else driving too fast for conditions, or having no idea how to drive in snow. Overconfidence can wreck your day, even though you did nothing wrong.

Last edited:
Driving up in the midwest for the past 50+ years, with our slushy, heavy, wet snow mixed with ice, just remember this: It doesn't matter how great your vehicle drives on snow, or what tires you're using. What almost always causes an accident is someone else driving too fast for conditions, or having no idea how to drive in snow. Overconfidence can wreck your day, even though you did nothing wrong.
You are making the case for having a tank as a daily driver.

The LX/200 does alright in the snow. There are situations in which it shines, and situations in which it does not. For pavement+snow use, I'd actually prefer a lighter vehicle (still AWD, of course). For trail use with low-medium depth snow (up to about 20ish inches), the LX does great. For deep snow... hope you have another truck and recovery equipment handy, because you'll need both.

The 4WD vehicles that are driving slow, real slow, have experienced drivers in them. They know that things can get totally out of control in an instant

That may be the case where you live, but around here, those are the guys running all season tires because "they know how to drive", "have 4x4, bro" and are convinced that "winter tires are a marketing fraud by tire manufacturers."

Snow is a reason to drive more carefully and be more in tune with your vehicle and road conditions. Snow is not a reason to immediately drive "slow, real slow." Drive according to conditions, vehicle & driver capability, and leave plenty of margin for error.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom