OEM Front Skid Plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2006 GX 470

I recently hit a very small puddle with the right front of my GX and it threw off the belt immediately. Luckily I was only 10miles from home and the WP is driven by the timing belt so I was able to make it and put it back on. While putting it on (that's kind of a PITA) I noticed that I only have the cover from the front bumper to whatever it's supposed to connect to after that, which after looking is that front skid plate. I've tried finding a used one on Ebay but haven't had much luck, maybe I'm wording it wrong.

So I have 2 issues, the small puddle throwing off the belt (which could be solved by getting a skid plate) and trying to find a skid plate. That seems like it's wayyyy to easy for the belt to slip off to me but perhaps you all have some input. The tensioner has more than enough tension, I can verify by the words I was using while holding it to get the belt on.

As for the skid plate, I do not plan on off roading mine or lifting it, I am just using it as a winter monster and occasional truck needs in the non salted months of the salt belt so I don't need anything fancy. It does still have the plate that covers the oil plan area, I'm not sure if that's worth mentioning.

In case someone has one laying around I'm in the west Chicago burbs and I'd be more than willing to come pick it up as long as it's not too far away.

TIA

I'm pretty sure the GX470 shares the front skid with the 4th gen 4runner, so perhaps you could look for one there (such as from a salvage yard). OEM skidplates on these do rust out pretty easily, so you might have a hard time finding one in the Chicagoland area that is not already full of rust holes. Mine was rusty-ish and bent....so it went into the scrap bin when I added aftermarket skids.

Yeah, I tried 4runner skid plates as well, I got nothing. Honesty the aftermarket skid plates don't really look like they protect the engine bay from splashing water off of the tires, so maybe my belt issue is something else. People drive these things through water, there's no way the belt stays dry and I don't see them having to put it back on.

When I hit that puddle and the puddle a few months ago it was like "splash" and immediately battery light (indicating the belt was off) just to give some context to the issue. It was not a big puddle at all either, I wouldn't have gone out of my way to avoid it in my s2000.

I have ARBs on mine and they keep things pretty dry, including on higher-speed puddles and low speed deep creek crossings.

Do you have the inner fender liners and splash guards installed too? And how is the condition of your belt? Seems odd that a puddle would throw it (maybe you need a new belt and/or tensioner).

First, I would replace the drive belt with a new oem one and make sure the tensioner is still good.

Second, check to make sure all you plastic liners and rubber engine splash guards are there.

Finally, lots of people get rid of their stock oem engine stone guard (it’s not a skid plate per Toyota) to upgrade to a real skid plate. Check FB marketplace or classifieds or your local gx470 group in your area. I think I threw away my stock oem engine stone guard when I upgraded to a skid plate.

Plastic Liners

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom