What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (27 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

First third of brake system refresh done today … booster motor replaced and piston rebuild kit installed (Piston looked brand new so assuming PO has already had a bash at the sinking pedal syndrome… didn’t solve the problem then, so not holding breath it’ll work this time either 😳. Hoping motor replacement and basically a flush with comprehensive bleeding will be th3 ticket). Tomorrow will be reinstall, replace hoses with ss and bleeding incl ABS via TS.

Old motor

64B784F9-7437-4DA4-A587-BB87E777D75E.jpeg

got really happy on seeing this:
4F426AFB-B798-4230-92A1-207B0791C964.jpeg

until following the wires and seeing this:
3CFEDF3A-F0FA-4D65-8394-673E1D588B0A.jpeg

Second to last pic, do I need to get hose on farther? Didn’t notice until after clamps done.

So I broke down and bought an OEM fuel tank skid that arrived today. So after replacing all the fuel lines and fuel tank, it's time to wrap up the project. I'll probably post a brief thread on adding oem skid plus an asfir fuel tank skid and share some pics of this mini project. I was happy to see the new skid came with the inner rubber pads.

View attachment 3189952
Where’d you purchase the OEM skid?

Replaced Heater Tees and added an AC drain extension from Cruiser Garage.
The driver side tee was leaking on the bottom side at first when I cranked the car. Had to move the hose clamp down towards the bottom of the fitting close to the lip. Could’ve been a disaster if I didn’t test it.
02BB1095-A25F-4B92-AEC6-39122D808E89.jpeg
OEM tees were actually in great shape
8F8AA2D3-A5D1-4B68-9922-C6B587EF3C74.jpeg

5EF3480D-F623-4A8E-BC92-AD7B3851DC7C.jpeg

Installed the Front Runner accessory fairing on my rack. I didn't have any problem with wind noise before and still don't, but it sure looks a lot better. I had to use the second set of holes in the bracket (it shipped with screws in the first set) to clear the sunroof gasket. As a bonus those empty first set of holes might be a great way to add a light bar 🤔 I did not install the strip of 3m protective film. I see vehicles every day that have years-old protective film on them that gets cloudy and cracked, looks terrible, and the adhesive has eaten into the paint. I'll take my chances with the rubber edge.

I also flipped that rubber edge around to hide the huge FRONT RUNNER logo. I figure already having their name on all four sides of the rack is advertising enough.

20221211_105545.jpg

20221211_105606.jpg

When you bring home the new bearing for your transfercase.....but its the wrong bearing :( Maybe I'll get it back on the road next week.
1670782996239.png

The front extension housing output bearing I damaged is on the bottom. The top is what showed up as a replacement. This was the first (and last) time I'll use the dealer for parts.

So, I took out my frustration and drilled a hole through the side of the fender :p
1670783059212.png

During a routine under-hood inspection I noticed that a couple of rubber isolation mounts located at the top of the radiator were split in two. These seem to only hold some lines from rattling so I zip tied them together until I could receive the parts and have some time to replace them. Well the parts arrived and the sun came out so Sunday was the day... Pretty easy job except that the hidden plastic clips underneath looked fragile so I decided to disassemble the new brackets and just use the rubber isolator in the old brackets. That way, no risk on breaking the plastic clips... Only tools required were a 10mm, 12mm and a Phillips.
IMG_3215.jpeg
IMG_3216.jpeg
IMG_3219.jpeg
IMG_3223.jpeg

All fixed...
IMG_3226.jpeg

Replaced the front sway bar bushings. Top one were showing some deterioration but still had some compression left. Easy job and finally without any issues like snapped bolts or anything broken!!

Serviced the LCA bushings, on the LCA itself and frame.

Pressing it out.
7E695530-733A-48A1-924D-608EFB43D3C0.jpeg

Old one’s out and bore have been cleaned/prep’d for the new one.
9DD963AC-AA43-45FE-B005-92F01DC51ECF.jpeg

Bore has been greased and new LCA bushing is in.
4EB3DB50-2522-4234-9D6F-FC671023AA59.jpeg

Now on to the frame bushing, add a little heat.
7250CDCB-21B3-44D3-ADCD-108D1B150EE5.jpeg

Voila, old and new side by side comparison.
E88C15A8-44C0-4BD6-8C58-5C58A95BE890.jpeg

New one is in:
146F4ADE-FC1C-4649-849E-5F6819BF059F.jpeg

Someone mentioned to me in a parking lot the other day, "hey, your reverse lights aren't working." I swapped in a new pair of bulbs but still no dice, so started following the wiring back from the sockets. Found this at the hinge point for the rear tailgate after unwrapping the harness, three wires broken so cleanly it looked like someone had taken wire cutters to them. This was right at the flex point, and they clearly just fatigued from the thousands of cycles over 23 years.

When I searched here about reverse lights, lots of folks mentioning their gauge fuse blows immediately when going to reverse, this could definitely be a likely culprit for that, as if they hadn't broken so cleanly they could be touching each other or grounding out on the body.

Fixed this up and back in business!

IMG-1946.jpg

Someone mentioned to me in a parking lot the other day, "hey, your reverse lights aren't working." I swapped in a new pair of bulbs but still no dice, so started following the wiring back from the sockets. Found this at the hinge point for the rear tailgate after unwrapping the harness, three wires broken so cleanly it looked like someone had taken wire cutters to them. This was right at the flex point, and they clearly just fatigued from the thousands of cycles over 23 years.

When I searched here about reverse lights, lots of folks mentioning their gauge fuse blows immediately when going to reverse, this could definitely be a likely culprit for that, as if they hadn't broken so cleanly they could be touching each other or grounding out on the body.

Fixed this up and back in business!

View attachment 3191973

This happened to me about two years ago… No backup lights and I found 3 wires broken…
But with the added benefit of the Cruiser having only 1st gear while going forward… In some way, shape or form, the broken reverse lights wires did not give the proper signal back to the PCM and the transmission control module would not allow anything other than first gear when going forward. Reverse, neutral and park worked just fine.

Repaired the wiring by cutting each of 3 broken wires back well beyond the flex point on each side and soldering in new 16ga wiring with heat shrink over the splice point. I loomed it up with fabric tape inside the tailgate.

With the reverse lights wiring repaired, the transmission began behaving properly again. And the reverse lights worked once again.

Zero issues since…

Anyone else experienced this transmission behavior when those reverse lights wires were broken?

This happened to me about two years ago… No backup lights and I found 3 wires broken…
But with the added benefit of the Cruiser having only 1st gear while going forward… In some way, shape or form, the broken reverse lights wires did not give the proper signal back to the PCM and the transmission control module would not allow anything other than first gear when going forward. Reverse, neutral and park worked just fine.

Repaired the wiring by cutting each of 3 broken wires back well beyond the flex point on each side and soldering in new 16ga wiring with heat shrink over the splice point. I loomed it up with fabric tape inside the tailgate.

With the reverse lights wiring repaired, the transmission began behaving properly again. And the reverse lights worked once again.

Zero issues since…

Anyone else experienced this transmission behavior when those reverse lights wires were broken?
I haven't, but I appreciate you letting me know in case it happens to me! I might replace that section of wiring with some new high flex wire as PM, since I often look at that on my '99 and wonder how long it will be until it fails.

Zero issues since…

Zero issues for me when those three wires were broken other than the reverse lights being inop, my truck is a 99. At first I wondered if you have a 5 speed trans, but see that you have an 02, so that's an odd one. I suppose maybe something else is on that circuit in the newer trucks, anything aftermarket wired in to yours? Mine is all stock.

Replaced Heater Tees and added an AC drain extension from Cruiser Garage.
The driver side tee was leaking on the bottom side at first when I cranked the car. Had to move the hose clamp down towards the bottom of the fitting close to the lip. Could’ve been a disaster if I didn’t test it.View attachment 3190649OEM tees were actually in great shape
View attachment 3190650
View attachment 3190651
When did you order those T's? I don't see them on their website.

Zero issues for me when those three wires were broken other than the reverse lights being inop, my truck is a 99. At first I wondered if you have a 5 speed trans, but see that you have an 02, so that's an odd one. I suppose maybe something else is on that circuit in the newer trucks, anything aftermarket wired in to yours? Mine is all stock.
Nothing else wired into the backup light circuit.

When this whole thing occurred, The transmission shifting issue was intermittent… it would wait until I got across town, and then decide to give me only first gear... perfect timing 😧… That is when I noticed that the back up lights did not work.

As I recall, when I attempted a forensic examination of the transmission not shifting issue, I figured that maybe the back up light power wire was intermittently shorting out to another adjacent broken wire. But no blown fuse. And perhaps the powertrain control module saw 12v coming back on a wire without seeing signal from the transmission reverse solenoid. WAG I know, but after repairing the backup lights wiring, the transmission malfunction disappeared completely.
Have not had ANY transmission issues since.

When this issue occurred, I did not raise the point on this forum for fear of sounding like a newbie. It didn’t take long for me to realize that this IH8MUD forum is one huge community of people, like me, who love their rigs, and only want to share experiences and help others.

It was a CRAZY issue though.

Nothing else wired into the backup light circuit.

When this whole thing occurred, The transmission shifting issue was intermittent… it would wait until I got across town, and then decide to give me only first gear... perfect timing 😧… That is when I noticed that the back up lights did not work.

As I recall, when I attempted a forensic examination of the transmission not shifting issue, I figured that maybe the back up light power wire was intermittently shorting out to another adjacent broken wire. But no blown fuse. And perhaps the powertrain control module saw 12v coming back on a wire without seeing signal from the transmission reverse solenoid. WAG I know, but after repairing the backup lights wiring, the transmission malfunction disappeared completely.
Have not had ANY transmission issues since.

When this issue occurred, I did not raise the point on this forum for fear of sounding like a newbie. It didn’t take long for me to realize that this IH8MUD forum is one huge community of people, like me, who love their rigs, and only want to share experiences and help others.

It was a CRAZY issue though.
Wild, I agree that would have been my guess too. I think I just got lucky my wires decided to break so cleanly. I'd think an intermittent short there could cause all kinds of downstream issues. I'm surprised more haven't had this issue, or at least haven't posted about it. Every vehicle has some flex point like this, trunk hinge, hatch, etc. where with enough age and cycles whatever wiring passing through will have some issues.

Replaced the broken AC hard line mount that is above the radiator. I used a BMW air box mount for an 80's 325i that I had in my tool box. This was an extra one I had laying around from owning BMW's in the past and being a tech for 15 years so this was zero cost, just a few min of my time. It fit well and the threads are the same as the Toyota ones so if anyone has a BMW dealer that is closer than a Toyota dealer this could be a good option for these rubber mounts.

EB987D1B-19D4-42B4-ACD1-60A9C8494D59.jpeg

3E205277-EFA9-4F6E-86F5-8FE237D16311.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom