Headliner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi! My headliner has collapsed. It looks to me as if the foam deteriorated and let go from the adhesive. Gonna be hard to find someone to replace. Any creative solutions for a headliner that can be put on without taking top off?

Nothing is going to stick to it until you scrape the surface clean. Either clean it over your head or not. Taking the top off in 1 piece isn't that hard. You'll need 2 or more helpers to lift. Summertime job so you can run around with the top off.

Yes but they recommend taking top off and flipping to install. I was thinking carpet or the like.
You can install the headliner with the top on, it’s just goi g to suck. But it won’t be any harder than using another material like carpet, but will look a whole lot better in the end.

Just did mine not long ago with the top off and flipped over. Can’t imagine having to do it on the vehicle. I’m fairly good with things of this nature and I did have a few wrinkles with 2 people helping. Granted it was my first though.

91E3ED6D-DC6E-4653-AE90-939E92C40150.jpeg

02CE670E-61FB-4CFC-88DD-5DBE35375AD5.jpeg

Hi, Just did my Dodge Ram. Not much difference in install. Clean and sand a lot.I can’t imagine doing this with old material falling all in your face . I’ve also done it on our 40. Remove the top It is time consuming and tedious and with my wife’s help was manageable. Good spray glue from 3m no cheap glue. Resist the urge to apply the glue extra thick. Go slow and figure the good part of a day.

This is my big summer project. I need to take the whole top off anyway to fix some holes some bozo drilled in the sides my top for a cb radio antenna. and a few other places. that I am guessing had some sort of brackets drilled in. I have a date written in mine (under where the headliner would be.) of a 1971 year witch makes me think that the fiber glass part is probably not original to my 1964.

On the crazy side. My PO had installed a sound system with egg crate foam on the inside of the roof. Worked great as a sound deadening tool and also as an insulator from the sun through the top.

I used this foam backed material that is meant for such things as headliner.
Looks great but was too cheap to get another can of 3M contact spray and consequently a couple of spots started coming loose and sagging so now I have some spots where the glue soaked through from my halfassed repairs.
What ever you do don't cheap out, do it right the first time
IMG_1588.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom