GX460 spare tire carrier options - bumper, hitch, swingout, etc? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I noticed your spare isn’t underneath…

A 295/70/18 will fit underneath on an LX

A 295/70/18 will fit underneath on an LX

I read that thread as even 34's require BMC, fender massaging, etc. And yeah, a bigger frame will fit a bigger spare. I ran a 295/75/16 matching spare on my 100 series, but it hung low, rubbed the sway bar, and required an act of God to get it down. Not seeing where 35's "bolt right up" to an LX 570 without some mods, let alone 37's as claimed above. On a heavily modified Icelandic rig? Sure... With enough time, money, or talent, anything's possible. But hey, everyone gets to do whatever they want with their rig and money. :meh:

I read that thread as even 34's require BMC, fender massaging, etc. And yeah, a bigger frame will fit a bigger spare. I ran a 295/75/16 matching spare on my 100 series, but it hung low, rubbed the sway bar, and required an act of God to get it down. Not seeing where 35's "bolt right up" to an LX 570 without some mods, let alone 37's as claimed above. On a heavily modified Icelandic rig? Sure... With enough time, money, or talent, anything's possible. But hey, everyone gets to do whatever they want with their rig and money. :meh:

I don’t have a BMC, haven’t massaged my fenders etc - but dude enjoy your GX. Not trying to talk you in or out of it. I love both platforms.

I don’t have a BMC, haven’t massaged my fenders etc - but dude enjoy your GX. Not trying to talk you in or out of it. I love both platforms.
:beer: 4 different Land Cruisers, and now a GX, it's all good. They all have pros and cons.

Seattle checking in. She mostly fits anywhere

View attachment 3179506

And concur to poster above, 35s are basically bolt on with the 570
With all due respect, all I see is "mostly" in your post and I'd hate to be with my off road club on a trail ride and have to turn around because of being too big.
BTY, beautiful pic of your 200! LX or LC?
I've heard the LC's are better for modding off road than the LX's.

With all due respect, all I see is "mostly" in your post and I'd hate to be with my off road club on a trail ride and have to turn around because of being too big.
BTY, beautiful pic of your 200! LX or LC?
I've heard the LC's are better for modding off road than the LX's.

Heh I'm not easily offended. It's an LX and I've been wheeling it here in the PNW, colorado, moab since I bought it and haven't been turned away or sent home packing due to size. Our trucks only differ in width by 4".

For a while it was easier to mod a TLC because of AHC components on frame rails limiting slider options but now all of the major vendors are on board with the LX. All of the other armor just fits.

LX has one big advantage to fit 35s+ and that's no KDSS. On the TLC the front ram for the KDSS system seriously intrudes on the wheel well. To run a 35 you need a relo kit or a "long arm" tundra conversion, or very agressive offset. No issues on the LX.

I really like my Dirtcom Trailswing - fits flush with a 3.5gal fuelpax, super solid and doesn’t shake - plus I can still open the rear hatch window and transfer it to a different vehicle if I change trucks. Only thing is if you have the stock hitch (6500 rating) it’ll stick out a bit more than you would like - I have a Curt hitch

84F58D06-56E0-4738-B27B-8FFBC2048998.jpeg

17E400B1-ED8C-4F85-8ED6-F740CB8AFBDE.jpeg

Counterpoint: With the OEM hitch receiver, the Trailswing sticks out far enough to fit even more Rotopaxes between it and the rear hatch.

I really like my Dirtcom Trailswing - fits flush with a 3.5gal fuelpax, super solid and doesn’t shake - plus I can still open the rear hatch window and transfer it to a different vehicle if I change trucks. Only thing is if you have the stock hitch (6500 rating) it’ll stick out a bit more than you would like - I have a Curt hitch

View attachment 3188732

View attachment 3188733
That fuel can is looking pretty close to your chrome trim.
Is it possible to mount the jerry a wee bit lower, just below the chrome trim?
Or is it all just camera perspective?

That fuel can is looking pretty close to your chrome trim.
Is it possible to mount the jerry a wee bit lower, just below the chrome trim?
Or is it all just camera perspective?
I think it was the camera angle making it look like the fuelpax was touching - it has about a half inch gap, doesn’t hit the chrome at all.

You could mount it lower, I have a secondary hitch mounted (to use a bike rack when towing) to the Trailswing which takes up the rest of the mounting points

7AF0E3A1-7601-4F4A-8B54-A818E2459E11.jpeg

Reactions: r2m
I saw someone else mention it, but does anyone know if there is any issue with running a smaller spare like subarus have issues with? I really want to do 33" tires (looking at the wildpeak 255/80r17's), but I know there is know way that a spare will fit even with KDSS spacers and I don't personally like the other solutions. Can I just keep my stock spare and use it as an 'emergency only' kinda deal?

I saw someone else mention it, but does anyone know if there is any issue with running a smaller spare like subarus have issues with? I really want to do 33" tires (looking at the wildpeak 255/80r17's), but I know there is know way that a spare will fit even with KDSS spacers and I don't personally like the other solutions. Can I just keep my stock spare and use it as an 'emergency only' kinda deal?
Yes, you can. GX uses a Torsen type center differential, vs a viscous coupling center diff in a Subaru (and some early Toyotas like the AWD van that @r2m toasted. ) These allow for significantly more mismatch in tire size. Some people will claim you'll grenade your center diff by doing this, but I haven't seen a case of this on any LC/GX that is verified due to tire size mismatch. Having said that, if you're off roading A LOT, you are likely to need your spare ON THE TRAIL sooner or later. In that case, from an "off road capability" standpoint, you're much better off to have a matching spare for ground clearance, traction, and correct enablement of electronic traction control (ATRAC, CC, MTS). Personally, I'm 6-8x/year out on the trail. I'm totally comfortable with a stock-sized spare to use with my 275/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks. Many, many, many people will disagree with this philosophy based on purely conceptual (but not fact-based) life-ending consequences of mismatch tire sizes.

:meh:

Yes, you can. GX uses a Torsen type center differential, vs a viscous coupling center diff in a Subaru (and some early Toyotas like the AWD van that @r2m toasted. ) These allow for significantly more mismatch in tire size. Some people will claim you'll grenade your center diff by doing this, but I haven't seen a case of this on any LC/GX that is verified due to tire size mismatch. Having said that, if you're off roading A LOT, you are likely to need your spare ON THE TRAIL sooner or later. In that case, from an "off road capability" standpoint, you're much better off to have a matching spare for ground clearance, traction, and correct enablement of electronic traction control (ATRAC, CC, MTS). Personally, I'm 6-8x/year out on the trail. I'm totally comfortable with a stock-sized spare to use with my 275/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks. Many, many, many people will disagree with this philosophy based on purely conceptual (but not fact-based) life-ending consequences of mismatch tire sizes.

:meh:
Interesting, @re_guderian

One of my biggest bugbears with the 460 platform is its inability to accept anything larger than 31.6" in the spare location, which is why I'm running 265/70/17 now.

I would like to run 33"s but am holding out on a rear swingout (hated it on my 100). I never thought running a 31.6" spare offroad/on dirt trips would even be an option. I wonder if I could safely run a 31.6" 265/70/17 spare with 33" 285/70/17 tires - that's approx a 3.5% diameter difference. Could also air down the 285's to better align to the 265 diameter, too?

Too bad someone hasn't come up (and suprized) with a bumper or hitch that allows a 33"+ tire in the stock location.

Too bad someone hasn't come up (and suprized) with a bumper or hitch that allows a 33"+ tire in the stock location.
That is what I *thought* was the point of the nytop receiver. Why bother making one or buying non-OEM unless it is better in some way?

Reactions: r2m
That is what I *thought* was the point of the nytop receiver. Why bother making one or buying non-OEM unless it is better in some way?
I hadn't heard that about the clearance. Spare tire clearance is limited front-to-back, not side-to-side. The back edge is really limited by the 4 OEM bolt locations at the center-back. Not sure the NYTOP is any different in that regard than the OEM one, looking at the pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom