Mechanic Fixed Head Gasket, At Completion Tells Me I May Require Engine Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Changing out the timing set requires dropping the upper oil pan. That gave access the the crank and bearing inspection. Should been done there if there was a knock.

If it runs good, roll a set of bearings (replace rods and mains) and drive it. Your signature says LC has 153,000 miles. Unless crank is horrible it should be fine. You could run a can of motor honey or STP in oil see if knock goes away with heavy oil, meaning bearing isn't terrible. Pan gasket and bearings is a inexpensive fix and will get you thru winter. When I was 24 buying a new engine wasn't in the cards. Fixing what I had was always the best way to go. Good Luck

This is news to me that you can still buy a brand new block assembly from Toyota for about $4,000.
I love the idea of a brand new block with a refreshed top end (machined head w/ mls gasket and ARP studs, water pump, timing chain, thermostat and more)

$3490 shipping will probably be a bitch

Honestly I would not blame the mechanic for any of this. I dont know if this is a large shop or a small shop but either way having a stall tied up waiting on engine work for an old truck is bad business. If the truck was brought to him for the head gasket and he was told to check things out thing that is exactly what he did. Most shops wont do internal engine work because it is quicker and more profitable to swap a rebuilt engine in. It is also less liability for the shop. This is not a situation where a mechanic put a bad part back in like changing a timing belt and afterwards telling you, oh by the way, you need a new water pump. Its like going into to surgery to have your appendix removed and blaming the surgeon afterwards because he found that you have cancer while he was in there.

late to the discussion here. Put simply, it is difficult to be a mechanic and run a business.

doing work myself for myself, I always find other things as I go, or after I finished one thing there is something else coming up.

The worst is when someone knows a very little and thinks it's easy, cheap and fast. Like harry potter magic.

Honestly I would not blame the mechanic for any of this. I dont know if this is a large shop or a small shop but either way having a stall tied up waiting on engine work for an old truck is bad business. If the truck was brought to him for the head gasket and he was told to check things out thing that is exactly what he did. Most shops wont do internal engine work because it is quicker and more profitable to swap a rebuilt engine in. It is also less liability for the shop. This is not a situation where a mechanic put a bad part back in like changing a timing belt and afterwards telling you, oh by the way, you need a new water pump. Its like going into to surgery to have your appendix removed and blaming the surgeon afterwards because he found that you have cancer while he was in there.
late to the discussion here. Put simply, it is difficult to be a mechanic and run a business.

doing work myself for myself, I always find other things as I go, or after I finished one thing there is something else coming up.

The worst is when someone knows a very little and thinks it's easy, cheap and fast. Like harry potter magic.
Yes, I want to clarify that I believe as well my mechanic was just doing his job. I just wanted second opinions to justify that.
His shop is tiny and it’s only him. He’s an excellent Toyota mechanic and super hard worker.
A good nights sleep has me taking a deeper breath about this whole thing as well. Thanks guys

sorry to hear about your woes, friend. If this were me, I would definitely be getting a new short block and just be done with it. that just my opinion though and worth what you paid for it.

Good luck

@80 Life supposedly, specific Toyota dealers run a sale annually that is pretty unbeatable.

I say supposedly because I’ve only seen it for myself one time, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen every year. Last year I bought a short block assembly shipped to my “freight” location for $2800 out the door. Might be something you can consider since you have the Prius as a backup.

Keep in mind though, it took me a long time to get my short block from Japan. My dealer I and many other forum members dealt with was ill prepared for this sale and the sheer volume of sales they had. I bought in March and a received in November.

The same happens around March. Here is a thread referencing the sale.

Lastly, I also agree I need to get more aquatinted with the local mudders. You guys have already been a ton of help in my few months in the community. I hold to it that this is the greatest forum for any topic ever created.

Come on over and check us out. We are the "local mudders".

Come on over and check us out. We are the "local mudders".

Will do. My boss's best friend has an 80 Series he moved from Texas with and froze the block on a ski trip. I was told Rising Sun members hooked him up with a really good deal on a used one and were super supportive while he did the swap.

Appreciate the response. I agree the cheapest option is to put another FZJ80 motor in and the most expensive is an LS swap. The thing that bugs me the most here is that I could have put the $4k spent on the head and other repairs on a new engine.
Maybe your mechanic will agree to discount a motor swap since he missed the rod knock. Worth asking to apply the labor charge for the timing chain to a motor swap if you do the FZJ80.

Kinda off subject. We did an oil change on a customers car, when she picked it up I was accused of putting a 1000 miles on her car. I explained to was impossible to put 1000 miles on the car in the two hours it was at our shop. My point yes it is tough being a mechanic and or shop owner. It has been 15 years since I closed and lately I have been thinking of opening a shop. Probably just do Cruisers and Jeeps. I know Jeeps a voodo on here.

Kinda off subject. We did an oil change on a customers car, when she picked it up I was accused of putting a 1000 miles on her car. I explained to was impossible to put 1000 miles on the car in the two hours it was at our shop. My point yes it is tough being a mechanic and or shop owner. It has been 15 years since I closed and lately I have been thinking of opening a shop. Probably just do Cruisers and Jeeps. I know Jeeps a voodo on here.
Ma'am, we apologize for driving your car 500 mph for 2 hours straight. LMAO

Anyone know where I can find the below bearings without waiting multiple weeks?

Bearings - Toyota (11701-66031-04)​

Anyone know where I can find the below bearings without waiting multiple weeks?

Bearings - Toyota (11701-66031-04)​

Why do you assume you’d wait multiple weeks? They’re available.

Why do you assume you’d wait multiple weeks? They’re available.
They don’t seem to be in stock anywhere in Colorado, and when I check out the expected arrival date is pretty brutal.

They don’t seem to be in stock anywhere in Colorado, and when I check out the expected arrival date is pretty brutal.
Partsouq has them. I usually get parts within a week.

If it runs good, roll a set of bearings (replace rods and mains) and drive it. Your signature says LC has 153,000 miles. Unless crank is horrible it should be fine. You could run a can of motor honey or STP in oil see if knock goes away with heavy oil, meaning bearing isn't terrible. Pan gasket and bearings is a inexpensive fix and will get you thru winter. When I was 24 buying a new engine wasn't in the cards. Fixing what I had was always the best way to go. Good Luck
I agree. I’ve done this a couple of times one engine with some visible marring on the crank. I take some fine grit emery cloth wet with isopropyl alcohol and clean the crank surfaces to ensure there isn’t any old bearing material stuck on.

The truck with a bad knock and marring has been in service for more than 4 years now and runs great.

I use clevite bearings

Due to waiting on parts and the holidays/vacations, the pan finally got dropped today, only to find the bearings in perfect condition with no damage to the crank. I am being told this means it must be the rod in cylinder 1, and the route of a new block from Toyota is the safest (but very pricey) answer.
Paying thousands to get my Cruiser returned back in "ready to explode condition" for the moment makes me feel sick to my stomach, but it looks like that all I can do at this time.
If I do commit to a new block, the majority of the labor cost would be compensated when mating the new block to the head since the mechanic wants to see this job finished correctly and is great dude as I have said before . At that point I would have a brand new block, head gasket, thermostat, timing chain & components, water pump, sparks & wiring and more. The idea of the motor being that immaculate would be thrilling, but to be honest I am now entirely almost $20k in and that's where I comfortably wanted to be with this vehicle. Then again, not running I might get $5k for the vehicle so I need to see this through to a smooth running point one way or another.
I really wanted to have this vehicle running for ski season so I am looking for advice on keeping it running for the next few months before I have the time to get a new block in and installed. My mechanic worries that the if something catastrophic does occur, we could be taking more steps back by possibly damaging the top end that is now recently refurbished. Any advice would be great, TIA.

PS: Thought I would give you guys some good news. I just scored through a family member a 1 Owner Lexus LS430 with 78k miles for $5k cash. PO just had the 80k mile sevice performed by Lexus so the car is in perfect condition and ready to go. Just saw an exact same condition and milage 430 sell for $18.5k on Cars and Bids last week. If I over spend by $7k on my Cruiser, but save $14k on the LS430 I am doing alright I guess................ FML lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom