69 FST Spring Green partial restore (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's an update on the 69 spring green FST. After getting the brakes dialed in I started looking at the rest of what's there and began pulling parts of it. Boy, did I find some surprises. I basically had to pull the radiator, hoses, heater, water pump, thermostat housing, alternator, and the fan/shroud. When I drained the radiator the only description of what came out of it that I can best describe it was muddy water. I don't know it it's a combination of dirt, water, and rust but it didn't look good. When I took the thermostat housing apart it didn't have thermostat in it! So, I ordered a new water pump, thermostat housing kit, hoses, and alternator from CR. I pulled the water pump and thermostat housing today and the water that came out looked normal so that was encouraging. I put the new parts on, but ran out of daylight for the alternator.
I pulled those coolant parts a couple of weeks ago and once them off I started on the wiring harness. Most of the switches are rusted and the instrument cluster is shot. I have new wiring harness from EZ Wiring, some switches from Toyota Matt, and I plan to go with a Dakota cluster. I put the Dakota in 3 of my other builds and it's just plain idiot proof!
Today I took a ride down to Spector and grabbed some hoses, new windshield, seat upholstery, and cowl vent cover with no louvers. After that I swung over to Mark's Offroad in Burbank so that he could diagnose my carb(s) issue. Sadly, he did not have good news for me. The one that was on it and running is a collage of other carbs as I suspected and not suited for a 1F engine. The original carb I got from Edmund (thank you sir!) wasn't of much worth either. Mark was amazed and at the same time concerned at what had been done to both of them. He generously gave me a core credit and is going to build me carb that will work with what I'm trying to accomplish. I know he does fantastic work so it'll be fun to bolt that sucker on see what it can do!
A couple of weeks ago I installed the jump seats and fixed the spare tire carrier stud that had snapped off.
I've collected a lot of parts that are waiting to be installed and at the same time I keep coming up with other things that needs addressed. Rome wasn't built in a day and this project certainly will not be either....lol!
I know how we all love pictures so here we go.

IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG

Craig, take the opportunity to upgrade to the 6 blade fan while you’re at it.😉

Craig, take the opportunity to upgrade to the 6 blade fan while you’re at it.😉
Mark, is the spacer already on the water pump I have in the picture?

Mark, is the spacer already on the water pump I have in the picture?
I can easily add a spacer and a set of bolts to your open ticket Craig. I can sell you a fan too.😉

I can easily add a spacer and a set of bolts to your open ticket Craig. I can sell you a fan too.😉
That'll work....thanx Mark

should've been a spacer on that metal fan you could use. My 69 had one. I got a new waterpump from Toyotamatt and a fan from cruiser Outfitters. Reused the spacer from my stock 69 fan. Don't forget to fipg that waterpump gasket!

Craig, your carb is ready.😉 5am seemed a little early to call.😛
Fan and spacer added. I think you might need a new accelerator cable as well. Insulator gaskets?

Craig, your carb is ready.😉 5am seemed a little early to call.😛
Fan and spacer added. I think you might need a new accelerator cable as well. Insulator gaskets?
Thanx Mark! Yup, I'll need the gasket. I think the accelerator cable I have is going to work, however I will look at it a little more closely and let you know.

Are you going to remove the box from the passenger floorboard? Seems odd for it to be there. Wish my 69 Survivor was Spring Green. I like that color

Are you going to remove the box from the passenger floorboard? Seems odd for it to be there. Wish my 69 Survivor was Spring Green. I like that color
No, no plans to do that. I do have the cover for it so that helps.

This is the girl that got away….😉

Tuned in for sure..:popcorn: 🍺😎👈
Like most of us in California the weather has slowed my progress down. I'll have an update with some pictures in the next few days...stay tuned!

Like most of us in California the weather has slowed my progress down. I'll have an update with some pictures in the next few days...stay tuned!
Glad I am not in town and in Baja the past 2 weeks..

Hope to see the new progress.

I found the soft door hinges. When I get back to town I will ship them to you.

God bless

Glad I am not in town and in Baja the past 2 weeks..

Hope to see the new progress.

I found the soft door hinges. When I get back to town I will ship them to you.

God bless
Awesome! Thank you Edmund!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom