Builds Project Lockjaw-1973 Fj40 on Tons (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dana 60 ARB is legit... I saw the internals, they have it figured out. Others have copied their old design and they do not work as well.

I used arb’s front/rear for 15 years in my 9.5 LC 3rd’s Never had one fail. I have also run Detroit’s in my mini 8 inch 3rd’s in the past, never again for what I need. I love the option of having a selectable locker. Just my 2 cents. But obviously if it’s a total trailer queen only on rocks I probably run a Detroit or similar.
I have seen some parts failures, but I also have seen lots of ARBs just "not work". Seals go, air systems get a little moisture in them and freeze. I have one in the front of my 60 that has never worked once when I needed it. I get home and test it out in the shop, and it works fine.

All super surprising to hear that. Sorry for your bad luck. I’ve run mine in the Montana winters on snow runs with great performance for 15 years. No issues. If my 40 was a dedicated wheeler and trailered I would run Detroits. I’ve have great luck with them as well. Never a failure. Just not crazy about them when I’m on snow and ice. Good luck with Lockjaw. Maybe an Ox locker is a good option. Mechanical!!

I have seen some parts failures, but I also have seen lots of ARBs just "not work". Seals go, air systems get a little moisture in them and freeze. I have one in the front of my 60 that has never worked once when I needed it. I get home and test it out in the shop, and it works fine.
I've gotten an ARB so cold it would not seal initially. Had to drive it a while till it warmed up and expanded enought to seal.

All super surprising to hear that. Sorry for your bad luck. I’ve run mine in the Montana winters on snow runs with great performance for 15 years. No issues. If my 40 was a dedicated wheeler and trailered I would run Detroits. I’ve have great luck with them as well. Never a failure. Just not crazy about them when I’m on snow and ice. Good luck with Lockjaw. Maybe an Ox locker is a good option. Mechanical!!
Totally agree, in my FJ40 on tons, I have a rear Detroit and I still deliberating on what to run up front.

In my BJ60, I have an ARB front and didn't like the rear Detroit in the snow, so its open while I figure out what the answer is there.

Got the steering arms drilled out and the Barnes4wd high steer arms mocked up.
03AA6FBD-8FB3-4BEB-8696-D4D02E8473BB.jpeg
F8C9E3CD-07A0-4B11-82D2-A6764AF6C308.jpeg
7B9E3750-5C75-4966-86C1-13E4A711004E.jpeg

Fired up the plasma table and knocked out some brackets for the steering column to mount to the firewall and under the cowl area.
7CBBFC9C-BCF0-4CF3-B205-07B5CC655BFC.jpeg

While the plasma table was running, I finished up a few signs for some customers.
11A61C5D-37DC-473B-93BB-40DACAE5C242.jpeg

Made a few patch panels. Filled in the area where the stock brake booster was and two large factory holes to the left of where the booster was.
8023F641-CE8A-440C-8A66-282C0FDA9DF3.jpeg

Trying to decide leather or cloth seats. I know I have a ton of other stuff to take care of, but got two sets to choose from at a good price. They probably will need recovered.

So here are my thoughts . I have the pro car seats and they look good . But for my rig since it is a dedicated wheeler and i like to feel planted in the seat. (i slide around a little in the pro cars ) So i am going to a cloth mastercraft seats

I thought I would post for anyone swapping in a NV4500. This tranny boot is from a Hilux pickup. I ordered it from Cityracer. Fits perfectly.

78773175-F9CB-4277-9A25-61CD0301050C.jpeg

Little work done this week. Got the top sanded down and threw on a couple coats of high build primer. Gonna do some more sanding before paint. That’s some black paint for a guide coat before more sanding
366F8737-BA48-4D1A-9BE9-1A68041A1034.jpeg
A4F790D6-1655-435A-BEB0-E2A16B57EFD0.jpeg
EE03768C-932F-4D51-B48C-854C07940275.jpeg

Also got the mounting bracket for the steering column welded in. Now I don’t have to use a tie down strap to hold it in place
45DF1803-0C95-40A2-A13A-8585FAEC83B0.jpeg

Started making room for the rear end. This is just a preliminary cut, I’ll be moving some metal around and shaping it up
21D3BCBE-E4EC-42CE-B5AD-E6B670472DA8.jpeg
1DE887E9-5C61-47C6-B2BF-5C26D39A38D1.jpeg

Quick question for everyone. What are you guy with LS swaps doing with the front steam vent? Are you running it to the upper radiator hose or to the water pump?

Quick question for everyone. What are you guy with LS swaps doing with the front steam vent? Are you running it to the upper radiator hose or to the water pump?
Upper rad hose

I think most guys run it to the rad, but if yours doesn't have the provision, water pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom