Builds Won a '74 40 on a coin toss... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Isn't it great when things work as they should. Congratulations on your persistence in solving the horn dilemma. Keep up the good work.

I went back to see how long I battled this stupid horn. 5 years! Now there was a big gap in time where I didn't try and figure it out lol. But I found this post, and that explains why my other horn connection doesn't work! I guess I just ASSUMED both horns worked previously because it was so loud. It's too crowded over there with the AC stuff and radiator overflow bottle, so I'm not going to pursue that fix. If I want a second horn I'll just run a little jumper from the other horn.

disconnected_GW_wire.png

I know I got my horn working but I wanted to give a shout out to @Coolerman for his horn relay setup. As usual, top notch work, super reasonable cost, plug and play, even correct wire colors! It will be my backup! Thank you!

F13561CE-E2EF-4D1B-847E-2134FA2BF7BD.jpeg

Not a perfect match, just a bit off, but still looks good! Will be up front won’t see the difference with that separation.

View attachment 3188052
Where’d you get the plate from? I’ve been looking at getting a repro of some type for one of my other cars.

You can't actually drive around with this plate right?
I will… I have a legit plate on the back. But technically you’re correct, not approved but neither is driving with a single plate technically and I haven’t been cited for that.

In WA you can drive around with “year of issue” plates if you have them assigned to the car. I’ve asked multiple DOL staff about the reproductions and they’ve all said if they can’t tell, how would they know (and don’t volunteer the info).
Not sure how CA works but it’s not like the plates have a little “CHIPS APPROVED” logo. So I’d guess it’s similar to WA.

In WA you can drive around with “year of issue” plates if you have them assigned to the car. I’ve asked multiple DOL staff about the reproductions and they’ve all said if they can’t tell, how would they know (and don’t volunteer the info).
Not sure how CA works but it’s not like the plates have a little “CHIPS APPROVED” logo. So I’d guess it’s similar to WA.
In CA DMV calls it YOM (year of manufacture) plates. I had blue & yellow plates assigned to my LC and ditched the white/blue plates.

In CA DMV calls it YOM (year of manufacture) plates. I had blue & yellow plates assigned to my LC and ditched the white/blue plates.
Were you able to get new blue plates? I didn’t think those were available. Just the black and yellow ones…

Were you able to get new blue plates? I didn’t think those were available. Just the black and yellow ones…
Oh wait, I see how it works… you have to get some blue plates and then bring those in to get them registered. I see there are places that sell/restore them and make sure they’re clear in the DMV system. Not cheap but looks way better. Thankfully for me I still have the one original.

Oh wait, I see how it works… you have to get some blue plates and then bring those in to get them registered. I see there are places that sell/restore them and make sure they’re clear in the DMV system. Not cheap but looks way better. Thankfully for me I still have the one original.
Yes, I think I bought them from from a Dave's CLP who collects and/or restores plates. I didn't pay nearly what they are listed for today. The plates are original 6 digit, non-restored blue/yellow. It took 2 DMVs and 6 months to finally approve (during the "Covid") them. The short is, if you have era correct plates (not originally assigned to the vehicle), YOM will assign them to a veh. as long as it (2 things) it matches the era of plates and if you have a 71 then you have to have a good 71 reg sticker too. And don't go to the Pleasanton main office. Go anywhere else but P-town..lol. BTW, just moved from SRamon after 9 years.

(Black/yellow plates meant the vehicle was solely sold/registered in CA from 1960-1969, not what it is today).

Yes, I think I bought them from from a Dave's CLP who collects and/or restores plates. I didn't pay nearly what they are listed for today. The plates are original 6 digit, non-restored blue/yellow. It took 2 DMVs and 6 months to finally approve (during the "Covid") them. The short is, if you have era correct plates (not originally assigned to the vehicle), YOM will assign them to a veh. as long as it (2 things) it matches the era of plates and if you have a 71 then you have to have a good 71 reg sticker too. And don't go to the Pleasanton main office. Go anywhere else but P-town..lol. BTW, just moved from SRamon after 9 years.

(Black/yellow plates meant the vehicle was solely sold/registered in CA from 1960-1969, not what it is today).
I just need to leave the replica out in the elements so it will have that nice patina of the original lol. Or maybe light wet sand or scotch brite... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom