Frustrated, head gasket, desmog- update 5/13 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
87 FJ60 has been more or less a daily driver since I’ve owned it. I put more miles on it than the first three owners combined.
Long story short, it overheated on me one day and had to be towed home. Tore it all down and did head gasket and all the other associated gaskets along the way. Desmogged it while I had it all apart.
Now it won’t start. I’ve got spark and fuel in the carb but it will not start. I’ve also got coolant leaking somewhere high up and behind the exhaust/intake manifold but can’t see exactly where.
At this point I’m frustrated and don’t have time to mess with it. My wild ass guess is that paying someone to fix it or put a motor in is going to cost several thousands of dollars. I’ve got a super clean truck that’s basically dead in the driveway and no idea what to do at this point.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Recommend you set it aside for a day or two and come back to it with a fresh mind.

Start with the basics:
1. Verify spark
2. Verify fuel
3. Verify compression
Verify spark plug wire order (this one has gotten 4. me many a time)
5. Make sure you don’t have any massive vacuum leaks.
6. Check for loose clamps on coolant hoses etc.

It’s been said that the 2F engine is too dumb to die.
It just needs spark, fuel and compression in the cylinders and it’ll at least start for a bit.

Maybe it’s flooded.
Try starting it with choke in and foot pushed all the way to the floor on gas pedal.
Or
Get a can or two of spray starting fluid. It’s very easy to forget to hook up one of the vacuum hoses when putting the engine back together. If you’ve got a big vacuum leak somewhere- it ain’t gonna start.
Check:
  • PCV plumbing
  • The vent pipe at the base of the carburetor
  • The fittings screwed into the intake manifold (plugged or connected to correct hoses)
  • The Outer Vent Control Valve on the charcoal canister is hooked up correctly or the carb float bowl vent pipe is plugged (one or the other). If the float bowl vent pipe is open to atmosphere- engine won’t start.
You’re very close. Have faith. It’s definitely going to start.

ran fine before and now it won't so something simple is probably just off

Check all the easy stuff above and sometimes need to just take a step back and re think

Did you pull the distributor? Are you 180 out?

Going to run down all your suggestions in a day or two when I have some more time. I appreciate all the input. By the way, I’m in Eastern NC if anyone else is in this area.

@JohnQ follow up on this?
Other than checking the distributor I haven’t done much with it. After checking distributor I still was unable to get it to start. I need to pull the head again and recheck my surfaces and gasket alignment. I’m guessing the no start is related to something I removed or disturbed when doing the original job.
Haven’t had much time to mess with it recently between replacing the head on my 944 and my regular job and side business I have.
Honestly frustrated with the whole thing and have gone back and forth between selling or keeping. I need something to drive daily (which was previously the FJ) other than my Cayman.

Did your carb get rebuilt? If not did it get dirty sitting around while you did the other work? Are you sure the jets are doing their jetting?

Didn’t have anything done to the carb besides cleaning it up while it was off.

Maybe some trash got in there and is blocking the jets?
Are you sure you are not 180 degrees out with your timing? First time I had everything apart I was as 180 away from top dead center and couldn’t start it to save my life. After I double checked my timing and realized I wasn’t at top dead center and worked it out everything came alive instantly. It’s got to be something simple.

Reasonably sure. Going to get a second set of eyes on it though. I agree it must be something simple.

@cps432 I've been there and done that. Got closer to starting after 180 degree off but still would not because I was one tooth off. Very frustrating at the end of alot of work, but simple to fix.

As far as the coolant leaking, the small hose at the back of the block, captain’s side, up top that connects to the heater hard line against the fire wall was my culprit. I guess I didn’t get it tight enough when putting everything back together.

- Cam indexing off from hg replacement? Check compression....
- Distributor/timing, follow the fsm procedure....

You have spark, so random wiring issue should be eliminated....

If you think your timing is good, try starter fluid. If it fires on starter fluid then you may have a fuel/carburetor issue. If it will not fire on starter fluid then you have a timing or compression issue. How long has it be sitting before repairing it? if over a year could be bad gas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom