water pump replacement: a rundown of all the pieces I need (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

60012 is the 75-87 2F, no bead OE or aftermarket
61020 is the 3F w/bead on OE only

I have a suspicion @rfj62 has a 3F :D

2F
View attachment 2988779

3F
View attachment 2988778

.3F new company logo.jpeg

3F 7.jpeg

(.12) - Copy.jpg

Are you all using any sealer like permatex when doing the water pump?

@carlosfj80
When I replaced my waterpump eons ago, I applied a thin bead of RTV silicon sealant to the gasket — and it didn’t leak for 20 years. Never did leak. Maybe it also wouldn’t have leaked if I hadn’t used anything, but the silicon sealer definitely didn’t hurt.

@carlosfj80
When I replaced my waterpump eons ago, I applied a thin bead of RTV silicon sealant to the gasket — and it didn’t leak for 20 years. Never did leak. Maybe it also wouldn’t have leaked if I hadn’t used anything, but the silicon sealer definitely didn’t hurt.
Thanks, @OSS!

Hey Matt,

I wish I would have ordered my parts through you. I have a great relationship with my local Toyota dealer but it’s more difficult to source parts “correctly.” I do have a question, I removed the WP today and there were 4 thin washers(almost like shims) on the studs against the WP from the WP to the pulley/clutch fan. Is this normal?

Hey Matt,

I wish I would have ordered my parts through you. I have a great relationship with my local Toyota dealer but it’s more difficult to source parts “correctly.” I do have a question, I removed the WP today and there were 4 thin washers(almost like shims) on the studs against the WP from the WP to the pulley/clutch fan. Is this normal?

photos ?

Here is the pics of the washer and old WP and of the rig!

24A9A987-EA71-435A-8E8F-2D143AE46719.jpeg

9BDA10E7-7DDE-4E20-8373-09304A1B6523.jpeg

B228C449-BB25-456E-9960-329C50E6F1DD.jpeg

F791EF46-5C68-4586-B92E-0BE872796997.jpeg

Those are not factory and with a proper fan clutch and pump, can be tossed in your hardware bin.

Those are not factory and with a proper fan clutch and pump, can be tossed in your hardware bin.
Thank you, everything was stock toyota, hmmm.

The cooling system was one rusty SOB! Someone definitely did not take care of her. I think they let her sit too long with a blown HG. I’ve never spent this much time on the cooling system of any rig!

Hi, I Never knew the gasket on 1988 up had a beaded gasket.I did however order from Toyota and apparently they didn’t either . I did encounter leaks when installed so I made my own gaskets with thicker sheet material, problem solved but time lost in learning.

I've been really impressed with the heavy duty fan clutch from @cruiseroutfit this summer in Utah heat, it was defending 205 engine temp like its life was depending on it. Highly recommend that "upgrade"

I like to just take off the radiator when doing the water pump... makes its so much easier to work on everything, clean up, replace a couple of pulley bearings, all new hoses etc.
And make sure the water cooler mating service is nice and clean.

Are you all using any sealer like permatex when doing the water pump?

Last spring I replaced a 3FE water pump using an Aisin pump and it leaked from behind the plate. I had to pull the pump, pull the backing plate and seal it with a water pump approved sealant. No leaks after that. Soon thereafter I also replaced the water pump on my 2F, again using an Aisin pump. This time I pulled and sealed the backing plate prior to installation.

I also use sealant with the water pump gasket when mounting to the block.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom