What's the deal with JDM 80s? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New member here looking to get into the 80 series family. Currently in Guam so I've been looking at what's available in Japan. Been hooked on the 80 series since seeing some on JDM auction sites, and that got worse after seeing some of the custom builds Japanese dealers have available (unique paint colors, trims, Pendleton seat covers all with relatively low mileage 75k-150k miles). Was one of those things where it was easy to see myself in the vehicle. I'll add a pair of pictures from one of them.

I've been down the rabbit hole for the past couple weeks looking at everything else that might come with owning a LC, mainly cost of ownership, typical repairs, resources available for parts, and a community to reach out to when I inevitably need help since I'm not too mechanically inclined but have resources at my disposal and like to take care of things I invest time and money into.

After all that I looked through old auctions on BaT, and wherever else I could find 80s being sold in the U.S. to get a good idea of what the value for 80s is both JDM and American models and it seems like a majority of value is between $12k-$34k, but most of what I've seen doesn't reflect the Japanese market I'm looking at.

Also after reading the entire thread on importing vehicles here I guess that chicken tax might not apply to 80s so I'm curious why I haven't seen more.

So here's what I'd like to know... Is there a reason people tend to avoid JDM models besides the cost of importing? Has anybody browsed the various third party exporter sites that list vehicles from dealers in Japan? And if you have, do you think they're priced fairly? Lastly, how much can the auction sheets and third party inspections listed for them really be trusted

I'd like to leave Guam with an 80 because the cost of shipping here from Japan isn't bad by any means. And once it's time to leave here I'd be able to get it home with that overseas tour exemption. Any input would be great, thanks.
0903712A30210423W00114.jpg
70009037123021042300100.jpg

Firstly, if you buy a baby shít brown, aborted 80 like the one you pictured, you deserve what you get :rofl:

Second, I'd treat an ad for a 25+ year old, 75k mile 80 with extreme suspicion. The odds any vehicle has done less than 3k miles per year are extremely low, even from Japan

Thirdly, welcome to mud :flipoff2::flipoff2:
This is definitely the place to come for info and support

RHD = undesireable in my book. If I'm shopping for a cruiser, it'll be USDM, Euro or Middle Eastern. Reversing through the drive-through would be fun the first couple times, but I think it would get old.

RHD is a downside, but JDM cruisers are, on average, in incredible condition for their age and tend to have low mileage. It's just a matter of balancing priorities.

I think the prices HDJ81's go for in the states are ridiculous but that's just me and I'm not complaining given that I own one.

I bought a 91 when I lived in Japan with < 75k miles. Paid 6k for it. Unfortunately I could only get a gasser because where I lived didn't allow diesel. That's my only regret. As for major work items, the only actual repairs I HAD to do was replace some of the cooling system which was like 2k at a Toyota dealership I got stranded by in Georgia. All in all, after 7 years of total ownership I'd say I'm not past 10k in total cost for initial purchase and repairs. That doesn't include modifications I made for the fun of it.

Having lived there 3 years, I absolutely buy the low mileage. People just don't have DDs there. They take the trains EVERYWHERE. Just to drive 3 hours to the mountains cost me $70 one way in tolls, not to mention what fuel costs there compared to what I was buying on base. Also, the Japanese are incredibly honest people. In the states you can almost guarantee the dude selling you a car is pulling one over on you; it's the exact opposite in Japan.

In the end, I'm thrilled that I bought mine. RHD will definitely not hold value the same way LHD will, but I get people asking to buy my girl all the time. They ask what I want for her, and I say "more than she's worth" because it's true.

For one, I just dont want a RHD vehicle. Also I dont want an engine that wasnt sold here due to parts availability, etc... But even a LHD 80 with a 1FZ, from South America or the Middle East or wherever, Im just not interested in them. I only want US market vehicles and Im not even 100% sure why. But maybe because a lot of the reason I like older vehicles is the nostalgia of them. Being reminded of a time and place. And if the vehicle came from Japan or somewhere other than USA, it just wont give me the same warm and fuzzy feeling :meh:

but most of what I've seen doesn't reflect the Japanese market I'm looking at.

Not sure what you mean here, but if you browse Japanese export sites the prices seem reasonable. Then you start reading about prep and shipping costs, finding a registered importer to receive it and make sure it meets local requirements (e.g. RHD vs LHD headlights), and the actual price goes up a lot.

When I was browsing the JDM export sites, practically every 80 had the same ugly aftermarket wheels and steering wheel. Maybe every owner from the 90s had the same bad taste, but I think the exporters just slap on cheap aftermarket parts, and why shop for two aftermarket parts when you can just buy in bulk?

I'm also not sure how there are still so many 90s Land Cruisers available for export. It's my understanding that Japan encourages the purchase of new cars by massively increasing registration costs after something like three years. Do LC owners just eat the costs? Do importers snatch them up and park them for decades? I've seen an O.G. Hummer, a square-body Chevy truck, and some Ferraris in Japan, but I never once saw an 80 driving around.

Here in NZ we've been importing RHD cars from Japan for ages - after our manufacturing industry was deregulated. The vast majority of 2nd hand cars on our roads began their lives in Japan.

Most dealers here have handlers/agents in Japan that deal with the auctions and check that vehicles aren't totally buggered before they get here, and that they'll pass our compliance tests and that the dealer will make money on them. Whatever your view on this arrangement is, it at least means that someone has looked at the vehicle before it gets here and has been complied with our (relatively strict) rules.

Without this arrangement you are wearing all the risk yourself. Would you buy a 30 year old vehicle without viewing it normally? Have a look at www.beforward.jp That will give you a realistic view of the condition of the trucks that are coming up to auction. LOTS of them are absolutely cooked.

As an RHD (in an RHD country) HDJ81 owner I don't personally understand the fascination with JDM 80s that's gripped the US. H series diesels are awesome where they're native - there's 3 on my semi-rural road alone - but it strikes me that a US market 80 (probably LS swapped) would be the ultimate US 80.

Also don't keep uping the page view count on that 60 front end swapped truck - it just encourages them to do more of them!

As an RHD (in an RHD country) HDJ81 owner I don't personally understand the fascination with JDM 80s that's gripped the US. H series diesels are awesome where they're native - there's 3 on my semi-rural road alone - but it strikes me that a US market 80 (probably LS swapped) would be the ultimate US 80.
I wonder how Canada would compare to NZ in sheer number of HDJ81's, they imported a ton of them 15 or so years ago when they became eligible for import and our dollar was strong against the Yen. Even here in the middle of the country where JDM's are less common, in a city with a pop of 200,000 there are 5-10 HDJ81's. There are almost certainly more HDJ81's in Canada than either USDM LX450/80's or Canadian domestic market LX450's.

I wonder how Canada would compare to NZ in sheer number of HDJ81's, they imported a ton of them 15 or so years ago when they became eligible for import and our dollar was strong against the Yen. Even here in the middle of the country where JDM's are less common, in a city with a pop of 200,000 there are 5-10 HDJ81's. There are almost certainly more HDJ81's in Canada than either USDM LX450/80's or Canadian domestic market LX450's.
There are many, many HDJ81s here. In my neck of the woods I see several trucks regularly, and know probably a dozen owners. There's everything from beautiful unmolested trucks to munted bush trucks. I'm pretty sure NZ got a very limited number of them new. I remember drooling over a sky blue one in a dealership when I was about 10 while my dad was ordering a new 4Runner.

Here's a link to a local auctions site - at least 50 currently for sale

I'll provide an opinion as someone in the middle of this process. I am picking up my 95 JDM turbo diesel at the port later this week (or maybe early next if customs clearance is delayed). My reasons for going this route:

Pros:
- Diesel. Emotional: I just think it's just cool and is pretty unique in the 80 community here. Practical: Nearly double the fuel efficiency and known for very long term reliability (if maintained).
- Price. Even with the high cost to import into the US, the price at auction (which does vary quite a lot) can be very, very reasonable. Yes, you have to buy it sight unseen, which is certainly a risk (and I won't know if I've been rewarded until I'm fully able to check out what I actually bought! :p). There are lots of exporters you can work with that will do inspections additional to the auction house inspection before bidding. I think price at the dealers in Japan has a lot of this baked in already, so they're a little higher, but maybe you get a better idea of what you're buying. At the end of the day, I'll have a diesel 80 registered in my driveway for less than I would have spent on a comparable US model (*before* any baselining and maintenance).
- Mileage. There are lots and lots of very high mileage vehicles at auction in Japan, but there are also more well-maintained, "low" mileage (<150K miles) than I found shopping for US models. Mine has ~140K miles, which was on the high side of what I was looking for, but this definitely helps with the price info above. Vehicles with <100K miles (and there are plenty) definitely drive the price up. FYI, the auction houses look out for tampered/replaced odometers and call it out on the auction sheet. It's usually pretty obvious though based on condition and *claimed* mileage.
- Options. The JDM models came with several options the US didn't have and broke in some tech/features earlier in some model years. My 95 has heated seats, cruise control, auto climate control and power retracting mirrors. You can also find the center console cooler box, the factory rear tire swingout and rear AC (that one seems more trouble than it's worth though) on some models. You can sometimes find rare manual transmissions, but that definitely drives up the price at auction.
- The story! This is the best part for me. I've enjoyed the whole unique process of trying to find one, translating auction sheets, bidding and losing more times than I'd like and finally tracking the ship it was on across the Pacific. I'm sure there is more to the story I'll uncover when I start inspecting and driving it. People who have heard about it are always asking, "You bought a what?!"

Cons:
- Parts availability. This isn't an issue for most of the vehicle including even powertrain past the motor, but for diesel or RHD specific parts, this will be harder. There is a wide community here that has figured that out for commonly needed parts and various importers, but I'm sure this will still be an issue from time to time. So far, I still cannot source proper all weather floormats ;)
- Service. I'm planning to do as much as I can myself (again, good community online here at mud), but there are not as many mechanics here that can/will work on these old diesels. (If anyone has suggestions for pros they trust in the Charlotte, NC area, PM me.)
- Insurance. This wouldn't be a problem for everyone, but if you daily drive it, you will likely fall between a "regular" insurance policy (where they need a VIN or they'll call it "grey market" with incorrect valuation) and "collector" insurance (where they'll insure for agreed upon value, but only if you restrict it's usage to car shows, occasional "pleasure drives" and low overall mileage).

Neither Pro nor Con:
- RHD. Yes, it's strange. No, it doesn't seem like a problem. I've driven RHD vehicles here and don't mind the difference - it just takes getting used to. It does make for great conversation.
- Value. If anything, JDM is valued less in the US market, but it appears to be relatively close to domestic models. Perhaps with growing familiarity and the relative rarity this will change, but I'd say it's neither a reason to purchase nor a reason not to.

I may not be the most impartial since I did it even with the relatively high cost to import, but if you can get one and minimize that cost by going to Guam and getting cheaper transport back to the US eventually, I'd say go for it.

I'll provide an opinion as someone in the middle of this process. I am picking up my 95 JDM turbo diesel at the port later this week (or maybe early next if customs clearance is delayed). My reasons for going this route:

Pros:
- Diesel. Emotional: I just think it's just cool and is pretty unique in the 80 community here. Practical: Nearly double the fuel efficiency and known for very long term reliability (if maintained).
- Price. Even with the high cost to import into the US, the price at auction (which does vary quite a lot) can be very, very reasonable. Yes, you have to buy it sight unseen, which is certainly a risk (and I won't know if I've been rewarded until I'm fully able to check out what I actually bought! :p). There are lots of exporters you can work with that will do inspections additional to the auction house inspection before bidding. I think price at the dealers in Japan has a lot of this baked in already, so they're a little higher, but maybe you get a better idea of what you're buying. At the end of the day, I'll have a diesel 80 registered in my driveway for less than I would have spent on a comparable US model (*before* any baselining and maintenance).
- Mileage. There are lots and lots of very high mileage vehicles at auction in Japan, but there are also more well-maintained, "low" mileage (<150K miles) than I found shopping for US models. Mine has ~140K miles, which was on the high side of what I was looking for, but this definitely helps with the price info above. Vehicles with <100K miles (and there are plenty) definitely drive the price up. FYI, the auction houses look out for tampered/replaced odometers and call it out on the auction sheet. It's usually pretty obvious though based on condition and *claimed* mileage.
- Options. The JDM models came with several options the US didn't have and broke in some tech/features earlier in some model years. My 95 has heated seats, cruise control, auto climate control and power retracting mirrors. You can also find the center console cooler box, the factory rear tire swingout and rear AC (that one seems more trouble than it's worth though) on some models. You can sometimes find rare manual transmissions, but that definitely drives up the price at auction.
- The story! This is the best part for me. I've enjoyed the whole unique process of trying to find one, translating auction sheets, bidding and losing more times than I'd like and finally tracking the ship it was on across the Pacific. I'm sure there is more to the story I'll uncover when I start inspecting and driving it. People who have heard about it are always asking, "You bought a what?!"

Cons:
- Parts availability. This isn't an issue for most of the vehicle including even powertrain past the motor, but for diesel or RHD specific parts, this will be harder. There is a wide community here that has figured that out for commonly needed parts and various importers, but I'm sure this will still be an issue from time to time. So far, I still cannot source proper all weather floormats ;)
- Service. I'm planning to do as much as I can myself (again, good community online here at mud), but there are not as many mechanics here that can/will work on these old diesels. (If anyone has suggestions for pros they trust in the Charlotte, NC area, PM me.)
- Insurance. This wouldn't be a problem for everyone, but if you daily drive it, you will likely fall between a "regular" insurance policy (where they need a VIN or they'll call it "grey market" with incorrect valuation) and "collector" insurance (where they'll insure for agreed upon value, but only if you restrict it's usage to car shows, occasional "pleasure drives" and low overall mileage).

Neither Pro nor Con:
- RHD. Yes, it's strange. No, it doesn't seem like a problem. I've driven RHD vehicles here and don't mind the difference - it just takes getting used to. It does make for great conversation.
- Value. If anything, JDM is valued less in the US market, but it appears to be relatively close to domestic models. Perhaps with growing familiarity and the relative rarity this will change, but I'd say it's neither a reason to purchase nor a reason not to.

I may not be the most impartial since I did it even with the relatively high cost to import, but if you can get one and minimize that cost by going to Guam and getting cheaper transport back to the US eventually, I'd say go for it.

Absolutely solid write up - couldn't have detailed it better.

Also, check out "Unique Mats" out of Australia. It'll take some time and they're not the cheapest, but I've been happy with the set in my HDJ81.

Absolutely solid write up - couldn't have detailed it better.

Also, check out "Unique Mats" out of Australia. It'll take some time and they're not the cheapest, but I've been happy with the set in my HDJ81.
One thing to note is that there are some pretty wild claims about diesel 80 MPG made on this forum and others. Those should be taken with a pinch of salt.

A lot of good posts here. My importing experience was with a Honda Acty so not exactly the same, but a few points from my perspective.

Someone talked about not screwing over others. Maybe if you were buying from an individual, but you aren’t. You are buying from an auction house that has no vested interest in what happens after it gets sold. I can’t find the Instagram page right now but there’s a lot of cars that are classified incorrectly.

That being said, if you use a broker to bid and get inspections I’m sure you could find some good examples. Just understand your perception of a 4 rated vehicle will not be the same as someone that sees these all day. The Acty I got had some surface rust and decent sized dents, but the guy I was working with said it was a good example. For a work truck it is, but it wasn’t what I was expecting.

If you want more info about the importing process and who to use feel free to message me.

Thanks for all the feedback. Was wondering why the front bumper on some of these looked that way. RHD doesn't bother me much I've been driving one of those Pajero minis for the last two months and got used to it pretty quick. I figured RHD specific parts might be an issue but as long as the real important stuff is interchangeable with US and other models I'm not too worried. I'm with y'all on the aftermarket stuff, the wooden steering wheels and turtle trim a lot of the 80s have ruin it.

I've had a little bit of dealings with both japancardirect and goonet as far as trying to buy vehicles goes.

I was initially looking at importing a Suzuki Jimny since there's so many out here in Guam but they just don't fit the billet. I did that through JCD and put a bid on one that looked good after an inspection and was the high bidder but didn't meet reserve. I felt the most confident in a purchase through them since they can have additional pictures and inspections done. It's just so few and far in between that a vehicle worth bidding on comes through.

Goonet on the other hand I was hard pressed to get any additional inspections or pictures. I asked for both since the auction sheet didn't have an indicated date, and there was no pictures of the engine bay or undercarriage, when the lady got back to me she said the cruiser was in a different show room so the seller couldn't agree to providing more info or documents which, having only dealt with U.S. sellers in the past, was a deal breaker.

If it wasn't for them being RHD, I would have bought a JDM 80 a long time ago. I love the turbo diesels with manual transmission. Navyator is right... I've been to Japan several times, and Japanese people are honest to a fault.

I think the cool factor gets people riled up just like auctions tend to bring out the foolishness in people. 80's are extraordinary machines, but they are 80's / 90's technology and for a daily driver, you have to be prepared for the inevitable wait times that a seemingly ordinary repair can entail. Yes, there are tons of them that are running around with hundreds of thousands of kilometers or miles on them and they still run good. They are tough, no doubt. The big question is are they worth it?

That really comes down to a personal thing. Land Cruisers are like a Rolex watch. To the guy who works a job that barely pays a living, they are a rich mans toy. To the guy who has disposable income to buy things that make him feel warm and fuzzy, they are something to be proud of and show off. Which group do you belong to? That's the basepoint to start from.

I have a U.S. Spec 80, its a 1994. I bought it as a project and it has sat for 2 years because once I began penciling out the cost to bring it to where I wanted it, I lost a lot of motivation. They are impressive, but there are limitations. They are NOT a rock crawler, despite the fact that people use them in that manner. They weigh a lot, for the size of drive train components you get. Yes, the components are strong, but an 8" front ring gear, is still only an 8" front ring gear, when you step past a 35" tire and it's not in a 4500 lb armored up or 3500 lb buggy cut Toyota mini-truck. That ring gear is under a 6-8,000 lb rig that defies most attempts to put it on a diet because the entire thing is built like a tank. These are assets to some, liabilities to others.

They are not really a great Daily Driver, as they are slow, underpowered and suck gas if you get a petrol rig and the diesels aren't that much better in factory trim, although the MPG penalty is less. Are they safe to drive, yes, they are great if you crash one. For their time period, they hold up extremely well in a crash. That is a plus. It almost outweighs the negatives of a 200 odd hp motor in a very heavy brick. Yes, I am well aware of the torque that the diesel produces and the benefits some people have seen with proper tuning etc. but it's not a free ride, all those benefits come with costs, either $$$ up front or in maintenance or rebuilding an engine that requires a pretty significant investment should you find yours is worn out, broken, cracked or otherwise suffering from previous abuse or neglect.

Yes, an LS swap can fix the slow part and some of the poor MPG part, but it doesn't fix the domino effect of pouring horsepower into a heavy rig with barely adequate drive train component sizes when you decide to follow you buddies new Gladiator down a trail that requires a set of 35's or 37's to really work. You are still working with a station wagon on a 4x4 platform, they are working with something purposefully designed for the job. Yes, you can do it, many have. Will you enjoy it? That's a personal decision.

Are they a great overlander rig? Yes. They are awesome at that aspect. Better than any other platform for the buy-in cost, in a stock to stock comparison. But, there are limitations. Weight. You can build a Tacoma that will run faster, drive harder, get better mpg and go just as far down any trail, in comparable level of tire size etc, as you can in an 80 series and by the time you buy a $20-30K JDM 80 series and spend a couple months upfitting it, your total cost to build is comparable if you add in what the labor to do the job should cost, or if you have to pay to get the work done, you'll soon be upside down on the deal.

All of these things and the other things that will come up, are a very personal decision type of thing. For cool-factor, they are up there, some are off the charts cool, after guys spend years building them up. Is that what you are after, or are you looking for something else? Can you spare $20-50K to get where you want to go and still be driving a 25 year old truck? Does it fit your personality and usage profile? Are you just a Hipster that wants to look cool but you have to pay someone else to do all the dirty work or are you the DIY kind who enjoys driving something unique, that can sometimes be a real PITA to own? Only you can answer these types of questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom