83 FJ60- Dipstick problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John Staton

SILVER Star
Threads
Ok, so I have had the truck for about 5 years and I do remember the dipstick always being loose...the tube you slide it into anyway. Well today I pulled the stick to check my oil level and the tube pulled out with the stick. Not entirely sure what I am looing at and where to start with a fix. It feels like the tube sheered off as it is rough metal where it was connected to the truck. Is that the case? does it actually screw in or what? and what is my fix here? The black wad at the end of the tube feels like melted rubber. Thanks for the help. For now I stuck it back on and just tied the end if the stick to a hose to hold it into place.
DSwtube.jpg

DShole.jpg

DStube.jpg

DSend.jpg

I can’t help you with how the dipstick tube mates to the block - cuz I have no experience with it, but now would be an excellent time to create some sort of makeshift dipstick from a narrow wooden dowel to verify the oil level in the pan right now.
Maybe get a long wood dowel that will fit in the engine block dipstick hole and insert it all the way down until it hits the bottom of the oil pan.

Then pull it out & mark the dowel at the oil level - so at least you’ll have a backup to gauge the oil level.

My ex-wife blew up a Honda CRV when the dipstick tube fell out on the highway going 70mph. It was a big smoke show as all the oil dumped out the open hole … and then a couple pistons or rods exited through the block. I had bought it with cash about 10 days prior.

Might want to sort that one out before driving. If you clean it up really well and have a real hot torch you might be able to braze it back in. Maybe some industrial strength high-temp epoxy would work. I don’t know.

Argh - that's a bummer.

It appears the blob at the bottom of the tube was an attempt to glue it back to the block?

well, surely someone will have installed one before or had the same problem. I have watched a few youtube vids that show guys removing old ones and I think I found the one for my truck still avail.....wondering how it is attached if anyone had a pic.
DSnew.jpg

I strongly suspect it's a press fit. Getting a new one in your hands (or finding a pic) should confirm.

Getting the bit in the block out will be the hard part... force a pointed punch between it and the block and then fold it in on itself?

More here:

It's a press fit and the tube is still available from Toyota. You'll have to invent a way to get the stub out of the hole. Prolly best with an appropriate sized EZ out

Would anyone be able to post a pic of how their dipstick tube is secured? mine just stuck straight up and was not held steady, but the pic shows a bracket on a new one. I am going to head over to my local Toyota dealer and give them a chance to earn my business before I order this online.

Upto 1983 the 2F part number for the dip stick guide is 15301-60013. This is the part that is posted above that shows a bracket in the schematic. I believe this part is NLA. It is substituted with the guide from 1984 and up 2F engines which has part number 11452-61010. This is the part that is still available and it does not have a bracket. The change of the part number (and perhaps design) of the dip tube guide somewhat correlates with the phase out of the FJ40 (which also used the 2F engine).

1670247660510.png

Last edited:
there is no bracket AFAIK. The part number is 11452-61010. If you google this, you will find pictures like the one below from CruiserParts LLC.

View attachment 3185646
thanks...that looks like what I pulled out. Wonder why I get a different part number and pic from where I was looking at toyotapartsdeal.com Looking again and they actually shows both the one you posted and one with what looks like a bracket listed for my truck. Anyone get a chance to take a look at their truck and tell me what you have that would be great. Wish me luck getting the broken piece out.

thanks...that looks like what I pulled out. Wonder why I get a different part number and pic from where I was looking at toyotapartsdeal.com Looking again and they actually shows both the one you posted and one with what looks like a bracket listed for my truck. Anyone get a chance to take a look at their truck and tell me what you have that would be great. Wish me luck getting the broken piece out.
Sorry. I had a typo in my message above. Up through 1983 there is a different part number (15301-60013) for the dip tube guide that is NLA. I can't find pictures of it so it may or may not have a bracket (but a bracket is shown in the parts database for that part).

I found this nice picture of a Mosely Hi-Po 2F engine that shows the straight dip tube guide.

1670253605821.png

I also found this picture of an engine that shows where the guide fits into the block.

1670254149611.png

1670253736678.png

They are not super hard to remove. I've done a few of them. I've had the best luck starting a 3/8 tap in it (be careful, the OD of the remainder tube is just a touch over 3/8) and bolt and using a slide hammer/bolt to yank it out. it's only about 5/8" long stub in there.

We have new dipsticks and tubes in stock and can ship out today

8C268A12-B335-4F63-8B05-445E91126F1C.jpeg

They are not super hard to remove. I've done a few of them. I've had the best luck starting a 3/8 tap in it (be careful, the OD of the remainder tube is just a touch over 3/8) and bolt and using a slide hammer/bolt to yank it out. it's only about 5/8" long stub in there.

We have new dipsticks and tubes in stock and can ship out today

View attachment 3185736
THANKS MATT...I had not thought of you for this part. Will reach out to you now. Its a cheap part, but I need is expedited so want to pay for upgraded shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom