Bandi 4 door pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This will be a slow build and I'll post more pictures this evening of the start, but 1990 double cab converted to crew cab. OM314 with 4 spd. First will be getting it roadworthy then some upgrades then a complete tear down when it becomes it's turn in the shop. Yesterday started by replacing master cylinder and booster with 76 fj40 booster to a fj80 master to get rid of the Brazilian parts and be able to walk into most shops and gets parts down the road. It now stops on its own power no Flintstoneing it or chains to unload from the trailer anymore. That will be the first step in the project. As I replace parts to make roadworthy retro fit to us spec parts.

Screenshot_20221012-091446_Chrome.jpg

IMG_20221202_214654.jpg

This should be fun Mason!

Not sure who did the conversion, I passed on probably 20 of these before purchasing this one. been looking for about 3 years. Here's what I can say, it's a south American rig.
Positives are..
1 I like the look of it.
2 it started (motor sounds good) and moves under its own power.
3 it has a brand new bed.
4. Once it gets media blasted at some point I should lighten weight by about 25 gallons of Bondo.

So far the not so great.
1.It's about as good as every other south American rig I've been around there are good and bad body people no matter where you live but the standards are definitely different.
2. Patched frame which is very common on the bandi's. ( Never saw it it photos)
3. It has been driven and abused it has been kept alive by any means necessary.

Lots of bubble gum tape and Bondo. But very interesting skills of using tape to hold bolts in place when you can't get a wrench on both ends or you don't have a second person to hold a nut while you start the bolt from underneath. It's a project I'll get it on the road and then keep working. Still happy with the purchase and should be a good family rig for 5 over the swb pickups.
Very interesting to start working on and just figure out what's what's and different things used. Could compare it to a Midwest farm rig that spent it's life on the farm and was used and maintained only on the property.

Reminds me of my HJ45 I brought in from Honduras…patched frame (I also didn’t catch) and about 1/8”+ of bondo on seems like the whole truck:oops:

Reminds me of my HJ45 I brought in from Honduras…patched frame (I also didn’t catch) and about 1/8”+ of bondo on seems like the whole truck:oops:
Yeah the kick vents are there you just can't see them on the outside. But all good on the inside just skim coat the hole side and call it good. I knew the hood was garbage and didn't care as it was getting replaced with a early split hood. Actually pretty impressive how nice the outside looks vs the underside

That’s a nice looking rig. I’m not that familiar with Brandi’s, so please pardon my ignorance, can you replace the bezel with a standard LC bezel?

Also you might consider naming it “The Great Pumpkin”. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yesterday got a new radiator installed, all new hoses. Added a heater that came out @Ndisgyz swb. Put front fender aprons and bib with new LED headlights and split hood from a 67 fj40, will get pics today. Today's list is get defrost hoses ran. Pull front driveline do new u joints. Start chasing electrical demons. Think mostly it's bad grounds but will find out soon enough. Getting just a simple 3 gauge cluster in so I have temp and oil for now while I sort thru trying to see what all needs replaced.

Test fit the front end, looks way better in my eyes with the landcruiser front end. Got the wiring worked out. New fuse block fixed most and acouple grounds for the rear lights. Got the heater in and wired and defrost tubes ran. Man what a chore that was. Now I understand why all these south American rigs don't have retro fit defrosts put in. Took for the first test drive to see how well it did. Brakes work great, brake lights, blinkers, tail lights, head lights, marker lights are all working. Made it home with out being towed back so that's a win in my book.
IMG_20221204_190124.jpg

IMG_20221204_184931.jpg

IMG_20221204_184948.jpg

Great rig, congrats mate!

Nice original rims too! They seem to be non-split rims. Could you please upload some pics?

Today was front axle day, knew when I bought it one hub was broken. Well one hub was broken as in had a plastic cap covering the end and all the guts missing which means that the axle just floated around inside and destroyed all the splines. No bushing inside the spindle either and seals were all but missing. So had to replace axle shafts with mini truck axle shafts, new bearings and seals and new aisin hubs. The short side with the non broken hub had all the guts removed so same thing just axle shaft just bouncing around in there destroying the splines. Learned my lesson on this truck last thing I will buy off BaT. But it's getting closer to being road worthy. Front driveline is being rebuilt and moving onto the rear. Fix the e brake housing on the shaft and re install all the hardware for the parking brake and see where it goes from there. 

IMG_20221205_173215.jpg

IMG_20221205_114756.jpg

IMG_20221205_140541.jpg

IMG_20221205_163450.jpg

Nice close-ups!
Great tyre and size the WRANGLER-ARMORTRAC 215/80R16, almost same height (29.5) as the original 7.00X15 (30). It seems that this size is not available anymore... :confused:

Last edited:
Coming to a copart lot near you if your in southern Cali here soon. transport company screwed me on this deal. don't know the whole story other than they were in a accident on 2/5 near gorman. dealing with insurance right now but truck has 1962 pto winch bolted to the front, not hooked up just two bolts holding it on( was going on my red 62), the glove box is full of early badges and switches, there's a 1962 early no emblem grille zip tied to the back of the grille. 2 linkage setups under the rear seat for 3 on the tree, with top mount tranny plate. brand new radiator, om 314 diesel. 4 spd brand new drive line up front with about 200 feet of run time. front axle was just rebuilt. brand new aisin hubs although driver side doesn't look great. Yukon locker up front, full float rear axle not sure if it's damaged. early clear marker lights that look like they aren't broke. brand new fj80 master and late model booster and Led conversion glass headlights, think that's about all that's worth anything.
Screenshot_20230211-080933.png
Screenshot_20230210-063612.png

oh and it has an early heater in it out of a 64 swb, brand new shift knob and if it survived the was a early split hood strip next the driver seat under floor mat

That is very sad. I hope no one was seriously injured. Have you considered buying it back from the insurance company as part of the settlement? It would only cost you salvage value and transport (which might be difficult).

Man. Sorry to see that. Hope you end up getting treated fairly in the deal. With them few and far between I’m sure you could find some comps to help your argument for fair market value replacement.

That is very sad. I hope no one was seriously injured. Have you considered buying it back from the insurance company as part of the settlement? It would only cost you salvage value and transport (which might be difficult).
yeah thought about it but for me my two places are either in Alaska and or Hawaii so a little difficult to transport to either place I could trailer it all the way to ak but not worth it. hoping the insurance is fair and I can replace the few parts I wanted for other projects (mainly the winch) and move on. I know theres a few parts sitting on that truck that a few guys on here could use but for me it would be too much of a hassel

oh and it has an early heater in it out of a 64 swb, brand new shift knob and if it survived the was a early split hood strip next the driver seat under floor mat
What was the truck that actually got mangled in the wreck? Very hard to tell what is going on in the photos posted. Was it the 4 door bandi that got totaled?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom