What did you work on tonight? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am working on these as a gift for our 5th wedding anniversary coming up on the 22nd, the "wood and silverware" anniversary. I'm doing this with hand tools except for the sanding. I almost bought a bamboo cutting board in the shape of New Mexico but decided that just wasn't going to cut it. I'm tired of crap falling apart after a few years of use. These items will be staples in our new home in Albuquerque next year and will hopefully last for generations.

2" edge grain cutting board from maple, cherry, and walnut. I'm going to put chamfers on the sides and feet on the bottom. I might get out my wood burner and mark it somewhere, then finish it with mineral oil and beeswax. About 13.5" x 15"

8" Gyuto knife blank from Katsura Cutlery. It's not the absolute best, but it is high Japanese high carbon AUS-10 steel. This is a big ass knife. I'm making the handle out of walnut to match the block. If they don't turn out very well I have some redwood coming to try out instead.

Wish me luck, I've never done finished wood before.

View attachment 3184827

View attachment 3184828

View attachment 3184829

Awesome! Happy anniversary. I like giving gifts that last forever. I am sure she will love them.

I envy people who can work with wood. For me it is too unforgiving. With steel if I cut something too short I can easily add to it.

Nice job Aaron, that's a thoughful and a very useful gift. :clap: Wood working is so therapeutic and practical that withstands the passage of time.

Naked butt. Bumper is off and in the garage for welding ... after I practice a bit.

20221204_105724-sm.jpg

Well everything looked good until I ****ed up the first set of walnut scales by using super glue to hold the halves together. This was done in a video so I thought it would be okay. Lesson learned. On the second set I used clear double-sided tape.

20221205_215231.jpg

20221205_211712.jpg

The transformation continues. There is one concern. I think the strut will hit the tailgate when I drop it. There is plenty of reach on the strut so I might have room to move the pin closer to the hub and outside the tailgate.

20221207_142838-sm.jpg

20221207_142859[1]-sm.jpg

Last edited:
Tire carrier. My welding sucks. This kit is not made for my truck. I think it's made for Luke's 80-series bumper. As a result, I've had to modify and fit this to my truck's skinny butt. I bought the kit without the arms drilled/sleeved so I could place the tire, gas can, and propane mounts where I wanted. The vertical arm on the tire carrier also had a 72° outward tilt. I cut off the angles and made the tire mount vertical on the swing arm. I also shortened the tire mount. I'm guessing it's sized for a 35" tire. I sized the mounting to keep it lower, and fit a 33" tire.

Tire Carrier-sm.jpg

Just something for you to think about Jon, and that is a stopper for the arms. If you let the gas struts be the stopper for the arms, they'll give up the ghost quickly. So, weld on a stopper of some sort at the end of the swing.

Just something for you to think about Jon, and that is a stopper for the arms. If you let the gas struts be the stopper for the arms, they'll give up the ghost quickly. So, weld on a stopper of some sort at the end of the swing.
The kit came with stoppers. They are on. I also welded on stoppers to keep the arms from slamming into the tailgate.

The kit came with stoppers. They are on. I also welded on stoppers to keep the arms from slamming into the tailgate.
You may have this, but add a way to lock the swings in an open position, when you have them out, to get to the tailgate. The Reason is having to open the swings on uneven ground, and keeping them in place. My Dobinson rear bumper has a spring loaded pin that drops into a hole, in the bumper body, near the pivot point of the swings. Keeps the bumper where you want it, locked into that position, until it is time to close and lock it in place for travel.
Your custom bumper looks great. Great ideas are making it perfect for your 4x4.

You may have this, but add a way to lock the swings in an open position, when you have them out, to get to the tailgate. The Reason is having to open the swings on uneven ground, and keeping them in place. My Dobinson rear bumper has a spring loaded pin that drops into a hole, in the bumper body, near the pivot point of the swings. Keeps the bumper where you want it, locked into that position, until it is time to close and lock it in place for travel.
Your custom bumper looks great. Great ideas are making it perfect for your 4x4.
The kit came with these struts. They are super stiff. I suspect they will do dandy to keep the swings open.

1670543518478.png

Let's see the stoppers

Let's see the stoppers
OK. The spindle hub is machined with a grove about 3/4's around the bottom.

Stopper-sm.jpg

The tab is welded to the top of the bumper on the outside and serves as a stopper. This came in the kit. I also cut a piece and put it on the inside to keep the arms from swinging inward. Sorry about the crappy pic.

Stopper tab-sm.jpg

Oh man, that's such an elegant way to accomplish the task. Good job on adding a second piece.

I'm calling this done. Sanded to 600 grit, wiped with water to raise the grain, then 600 again. I used a product from Lowe's called Howard Butcher Block Conditioner. It's a mixture of mineral oil, beeswax, and carauba wax. I used that and sanded it to 1000 grit for finish. Man that's a satisfying process.

You could defend your home with this thing. 13.5 inches overall. I left the handle big and more square intentionally for a workhorse look, and we both have big hands.

New hobby? My neighbor has a mini bandsaw he'd sell me.

20221210_020801.jpg

20221210_020808.jpg

20221210_020757.jpg

20221210_015021.jpg

20221210_152906.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! Happy anniversary. I like giving gifts that last forever. I am sure she will love them.

I envy people who can work with wood. For me it is too unforgiving. With steel if I cut something too short I can easily add to it.

I did find this process to be somewhat unforgiving. Mistakes have to be worked around. It's definitely not perfect but nobody else would even notice.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Almost. Sooooo, close to finished. Started off running out of .030" wire. Said "screw it" and loaded up the .035". Welded on the reverse light tab. Got the propane tank bracket done. Started the gas can carrier. I was going to bolt on the can carrier, but now I'm thinking of just welding it on ... and be done with it. Still need to rig up an antenna mount, and rewire everything. I also want to do something different with the latch.

20221210_160603-sm.jpg

20221210_161427-sm.jpg

Almost. Sooooo, close to finished. Started off running out of .030" wire. Said "screw it" and loaded up the .035". Welded on the reverse light tab. Got the propane tank bracket done. Started the gas can carrier. I was going to bolt on the can carrier, but now I'm thinking of just welding it on ... and be done with it. Still need to rig up an antenna mount, and rewire everything. I also want to do something different with the latch.

What are you kind of paint are you going to coat the bare metal with?

What are you kind of paint are you going to coat the bare metal with?
Powder on everything except the bumper. See, there is this bumper sticker on it that says "Viva Baja." I contacted the fella that gave that to me, and he doesn't have any more. I ain't losing that. So the mounts and the swing arms will be powder coated, and the bumper rattle canned. I'm hoping @Dumpolina has a forgotten stash of Stout Equipment decals someplace.

View attachment 3190241

View attachment 3190242
Have you thought about using one of his upright bike carrier? That could go on the left swing arm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom