2024 GX/Prado Release and Discussion (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of crazy but sensical things being said. Everyone is hitting some undeniable points. Makes me think something bad gonna happen lol.

Drop the 4R name? Probably not right? Kill the GX instead…

It kind of makes sense…

But then again who would buy the LX now? The GX already outsells it 10-1. And then you get an LC Prado GXOR? The LX is doomed by its competitors inside the house and outside…

I cant be certain of anything, but something is going to break here. It might be LX sales.

Between sequoias and GXs and tahoes and everything in between that does literally everything the urban buyer wants better but overlanding.

It's kind of amusing seeing everyone on the web with their sources on what and when is coming next. I admit I have mine as well but it's just a couple of sales guys I've developed a so-so relationship with at local Toyota and Lexus dealers and even then I have to question where they get their info from. Is it truly coming from within the dealer/manufacture side of things or is it coming from the same YouTube videos or Mud posts I've seen. 🤔

A lot of crazy but sensical things being said. Everyone is hitting some undeniable points. Makes me think something bad gonna happen lol.

Drop the 4R name? Probably not right? Kill the GX instead…

It kind of makes sense…

But then again who would buy the LX now? The GX already outsells it 10-1. And then you get an LC Prado GXOR? The LX is doomed by its competitors inside the house and outside…

I cant be certain of anything, but something is going to break here. It might be LX sales.

Between sequoias and GXs and tahoes and everything in between that does literally everything the urban buyer wants better but overlanding.
I agree about the LX. We finally test drove one and we came away with the conclusion that this is not a $100k+ vehicle. The interior is very oddly laid out. The center display looks out of place, the cameras and interior were not high quality for price range. The LX felt soulless and absolutely boring to drive. I live around a lot of winding roads and the dragon isn’t far from me. This Lx would suck driving on these roads daily. How is it missing massage seats for this price? If I am buying a luxury SUV, the X7 M50i with full merino leather is far ahead in quality, comfort, more cargo/interior space and power. Not only that, the idrive system is much more user friendly and costs the same as the LX. Yeah, the Lx is more reliable but thats really the only thing going for it and I’ve owned a lot of bimmers and never had one keep me stranded. Only issue I’ve had was a turbo fail back in ‘08 on a 3series, air suspension pin hole leak in a X5 in 2014 and the occasional firmware updates. I guess if someone plans on keeping an SUV 10 plus years, the Lx would be the better choice and lower cost maintenance. Sorry if I’m bagging on the LX but the competition is fierce in this price category and it falls well short in my book. Oh yeah, I’ve got one as well and it’s been flawless:cool:

8ADA2E65-B227-401C-B1D4-3A41904EADB6.jpeg

B602AEA5-91BA-46A0-BCFA-C089E8D1FF05.jpeg

63102782-ABAD-43B1-89A2-D6AFD632108B.jpeg

46C788EB-BFFB-46F0-AB46-C4C20FF634F3.jpeg

E73EEA57-5D83-4B5D-9CD7-6D89965AEA9B.jpeg

I agree about the LX. We finally test drove one and we came away with the conclusion that this is not a $100k+ vehicle. The interior is very oddly laid out. The center display looks out of place, the cameras and interior were not high quality for price range. The LX felt soulless and absolutely boring to drive. I live around a lot of winding roads and the dragon isn’t far from me. This Lx would suck driving on these roads daily. How is it missing massage seats for this price? If I am buying a luxury SUV, the X7 M50i with full merino leather is far ahead in quality, comfort, more cargo/interior space and power. Not only that, the idrive system is much more user friendly and costs the same as the LX. Yeah, the Lx is more reliable but thats really the only thing going for it and I’ve owned a lot of bimmers and never had one keep me stranded. Only issue I’ve had was a turbo fail back in ‘08 on a 3series, air suspension pin hole leak in a X5 in 2014 and the occasional firmware updates. I guess if someone plans on keeping an SUV 10 plus years, the Lx would be the better choice and lower cost maintenance. Sorry if I’m bagging on the LX but the competition is fierce in this price category and it falls well short in my book.

I shat on the LX 600 day one, it was a failure out the gate. Got the usual MUD in my face for it. But I’ll be proven right in the end. Im the LX guy too, love em. Just wouldn’t buy the 600 if my life depended on it. And i can afford it too…

Prominent Toyota heads are bashing it on YouTube like Auto Press TV asian guy. All the reviews have been mediocre outside of that if not negative. They still rag on the grill incessantly. IMO Outside its aight, inside its a complete joke.

LX has lagged for decades in true luxury fit out, and then drops more utility this gen for Luxury, and still doesn’t even come close to germans basic models let alone a top range range rover.

Its the same car as 200 with less soul, and less utility, on 22s with carplay for a lot more money, with s***ty range, and ugly design. And a potential for far less longevity.

No thanks dawg.

Last edited:
Not sure why the sarcasm is flying over everyone’s heads. Great post!
Maybe because he leads with a statement that's been uttered over and over again by many serious commentators. here on Mud

From the Motortrend story, I got the impression that the next LandCruiser coming to the states ( if /when it does,)would be an entirely different iteration, not the 300. Could possibly be a hybrid.

Interesting that Toyota has lowered CG of the LC, while so many owners want to raise it.

"..Toyota says the new platform lowered the center of gravity with improved weight distribution; the global Land Cruiser also shed 441 pounds of weight..."

Maybe because he leads with a statement that's been uttered over and over again by many serious commentators. here on Mud

From the Motortrend story, I got the impression that the next LandCruiser coming to the states ( if /when it does,)would be an entirely different iteration, not the 300. Could possibly be a hybrid.

Interesting that Toyota has lowered CG of the LC, while so many owners want to raise it.

"..Toyota says the new platform lowered the center of gravity with improved weight distribution; the global Land Cruiser also shed 441 pounds of weight..."

Sorry to burst any bubbles but every single thing Toyota said about the LC 300 in regards to weight and cog was a gigantic lie.

They dropped critical features like tailgate and gas tank and made all the panels out of aluminum. Spindle is also aluminum, and bash plates underneath all plastic. Nothing is actually engineered more lightly or efficiently.

LC 300 they were too scared to change anything and somehow made it worse.

I’m enjoying the many theories 😎

I think the next generation 4Runner will be slightly larger, and there will be some type of “Land Cruiser” variation to it. Probably in the form of some option package. I don’t think the 300 Land Cruiser will be on Toyota showroom floors for sale to the general buyer. Personally, I was hoping for a 300 Series Land Cruiser to appear, without all the unnecessary crap that a LX600 has.

I heard the next 4Runner slash Prado will fly and travel through time. My sales guy told me so, confirmed by the owner of the dealerships brothers cousin who happens to know a guy who’s sister knows a guy that knows another guy at, yes you guessed it….Toyota HQ and sweeps the floors there whom heard a conversation about the new flying Prado-4Runner-Land Cruiser-Fj900 while mopping the bathroom floor in front of a closed door office that he pressed his ear against. Granted this could all be BS, most likely he used a cup to listen in. :moon::flush:

were too scared to change anything and somehow made it worse.
If Point A is a 5.7L gasoline burning heavy V8 vehicle (peak climate destroyer) and Point B which is where it HAS to end up without exception, which will be a much lighter electric vehicle eventually with all the drawbacks that electric vehicles currently have, the evolutionary vehicles spanning between Point A to Point B are going to be “downgrades” compared to the king climate destroyer heavy V8.

The LC300 and LX600 are evolutionary vehicles.

A lot of us assume that things (vehicles) should progressively get better and better with time… but that’s really flying in the face of what’s actually going on on planet earth. By every metric, all the yardsticks used to gauge the health of the planet are showing a downward trend: things are getting worse.

So that being the case, (sadly) we can either ignore it, or deny it, or accept it.

Those of us who deny or ignore it want bigger and faster and heavier vehicles. V10 Landcruiser anyone? But those of us who can see the writing on the wall - will take a little V6 powered lighter Landcruiser (this year) and a “worse” hybrid (a few years down the line) and eventually a full on electric 4W SUV that has a Landcruiser or LX badge slapped on it… and be darn glad we at least have something to drive.

Regarding the comment a page or so back about the GX competing with G-wagon sales, that seems highly unlikely unless they go nuts with fancy leather, a much more powerful engine, and the MSRP jumps to $150K+. But that's not going to happen because it will be more expensive than the LX... I doubt that anyone who is seriously considering a G-wagon is cross shopping the GX.

I could see Toyota bringing something similar to the FJ Cruiser back and calling it the Land Cruiser or bringing the Prado in as the Land Cruiser replacement. If they take the FJ Cruiser approach, I hope they make it look much more like an FJ-40, similar to what Mercedes has managed to do with the G-wagon, and make sure it doesn't have massive blind spots from the rear quarter panels like the FJ Cruiser has.

A "Land Cruiser" trim level 4Runner as some have suggested doesn't make any sense to me as "Land Cruiser" has always been a model name, not a trim level. Completely replacing the 4Runner with Prado seems like an extremely risky move, given how popular the 4Runner has been.

Bringing the Land Cruiser 300 series back in top level trim would probably result in the same low sales numbers they ended the LC200 run with and lower trim levels to bring the price down would compete too much with the Sequoia.

But whatever they do, I hope they include trim levels / options that interest this crowd. Personally, I'd be happy if they had an off road versions of the GX, 4Runner, Prado, LX, or whatever model(s) they ultimately go with that has good approach, breakover, and departure angles (so no bumpers that are low to the ground) that can optionally include most of the luxury features (heated/cooled seats, big infotainment screens, etc.). It's always frustrating when you have to go with 22" wheels, 2nd row captain chairs, etc. to get a better audio system, nicer seats, etc.

Last edited:
I agree with some of the comments posted above. The LC300 space is already taken by the Sequoia on the Toyota side and the LX600 on the Lexus side. The niche that is wide open for Toyota to compete on is a Wrangler competitor. The so called FJ Cruiser repeat but this time closer to a Wrangler with pref an open top option.

If Point A is a 5.7L gasoline burning heavy V8 vehicle (peak climate destroyer) and Point B which is where it HAS to end up without exception, which will be a much lighter electric vehicle eventually with all the drawbacks that electric vehicles currently have, the evolutionary vehicles spanning between Point A to Point B are going to be “downgrades” compared to the king climate destroyer heavy V8.

The LC300 and LX600 are evolutionary vehicles.

A lot of us assume that things (vehicles) should progressively get better and better with time… but that’s really flying in the face of what’s actually going on on planet earth. By every metric, all the yardsticks used to gauge the health of the planet are showing a downward trend: things are getting worse.

So that being the case, (sadly) we can either ignore it, or deny it, or accept it.

Those of us who deny or ignore it want bigger and faster and heavier vehicles. V10 Landcruiser anyone? But those of us who can see the writing on the wall - will take a little V6 powered lighter Landcruiser (this year) and a “worse” hybrid (a few years down the line) and eventually a full on electric 4W SUV that has a Landcruiser or LX badge slapped on it… and be darn glad we at least have something to drive.

Is that why they didn’t include the hybrid drivetrain?

no offense but no to all of the above.

I agree about the LX. We finally test drove one and we came away with the conclusion that this is not a $100k+ vehicle. The interior is very oddly laid out. The center display looks out of place, the cameras and interior were not high quality for price range. The LX felt soulless and absolutely boring to drive. I live around a lot of winding roads and the dragon isn’t far from me. This Lx would suck driving on these roads daily. How is it missing massage seats for this price? If I am buying a luxury SUV, the X7 M50i with full merino leather is far ahead in quality, comfort, more cargo/interior space and power. Not only that, the idrive system is much more user friendly and costs the same as the LX. Yeah, the Lx is more reliable but thats really the only thing going for it and I’ve owned a lot of bimmers and never had one keep me stranded. Only issue I’ve had was a turbo fail back in ‘08 on a 3series, air suspension pin hole leak in a X5 in 2014 and the occasional firmware updates. I guess if someone plans on keeping an SUV 10 plus years, the Lx would be the better choice and lower cost maintenance. Sorry if I’m bagging on the LX but the competition is fierce in this price category and it falls well short in my book. Oh yeah, I’ve got one as well and it’s been flawless:cool:

View attachment 3184979

View attachment 3184980

View attachment 3184981

View attachment 3184982

View attachment 3184983
This an interesting POV. I went and checked out the X7, it felt really nice, drove really nice but flimsy from front to back.

Pressed on hard plastics and it squeaked. The chassis of vehicle felt soft/fragile compared to my old 570 (I’ve 600 now) which is a rock solid frame. Left the dealership and never looked back.

I know LC/ LX feels soulless, behind in convenience aspects compared to other flashy options in the market but they are over engineered vehicles with impeccable build quality.

Last edited:
This an interesting POV. I went and checked out the X7, it felt really nice, drove really nice but flimsy from front to back.

Pressed on hard plastics and it squeaked. The chassis of vehicle felt soft/fragile compared to my old 570 (I’ve 600 now) which is a rock solid frame. Left the dealership and never looked back.
Lol, you gotta be joking. This is an interesting POV as well. How is it flimsy from front to back? are your referring to the bumpers? My X7 has much less plastic than the 600 by a mile and nothing squeaks or feels fragile. It’s also rated one decibel louder than the Bentaga. If the interior squeaked, no way the X7 would compete against 200k Suvs. My dash, entire door cards are merino leather and all the rest is real wood or hard plastic with real aluminum switches. I am sorry but you must be blowing smoke if you noticed the chassis being fragile. Granted it’s not as robust as the 600/300 just based on history of previous models. However, I’ve never heard of a chassis failure of an X7 and yes it can feel soft if you’re in comfort mode but that’s kind of the goal. Whether I’m in Eco-mode or Sport+, I’m blowing your doors off while you’re still at the stoplight all while I’m getting a massage. Driving windy roads and I’m planted while your 600 wallows and I probably paid less then your 600. If you actually take it off-road, you win that argument of the better off-road vehicle. If you just daily or pavement road trip, the X7 wins all day long. Granted this X7 handles really well down gravel roads with A/S.

Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not hating on the 600 but for the price point they could have done much more and after driving it, we felt underwhelmed.

Last edited:
Lol, you gotta be joking. This is an interesting POV as well. How is it flimsy from front to back? are your referring to the bumpers? My X7 has much less plastic than the 600 by a mile and nothing squeaks or feels fragile. It’s also rated one decibel louder than the Bentaga. If the interior squeaked, no way the X7 would compete against 200k Suvs. My dash, entire door cards are merino leather and all the rest is real wood or hard plastic with real aluminum switches. I am sorry but you must be blowing smoke if you noticed the chassis being fragile. Granted it’s not as robust as the 600/300 just based on history of previous models. However, I’ve never heard of a chassis failure of an X7 and yes, it can feel soft if you’re in comfort mode but that’s kind of the goal. Whether I’m in Eco-mode or Sport+, I’m blowing your doors off while you’re still at the stoplight in absolute comfort or taking windy roads like no other large suv in it’s size and I probably paid less then your 600. If you actually take it off-road, you win that argument of the better off-road vehicle bit of its left as a daily or road tripper, the X7 wins all day long.
No doubt your X7 is a great vehicle, more robust than 300 series and greater comfort than Bentaga. Cheers and enjoy the 300 series sub forum / on and off road adventures

Last edited:
I spoke with a salesman who informed me the sales manager at the dealership has seen the new Land Cruiser in person that is coming to the US in 2024. I also confirmed that this is NOT the compact electric cruiser which has been floating around. It is supposedly going to be a “retro” version with stripped down/barebones options. Since the current LX has a 2 year wait in the US, I decided to place a $1,000 deposit down with them to get first dibs on their first allocation when it is released. It’s fully refundable so no harm no foul if it doesn’t pan out.
Heard this from owner of Haas Toyota as well

Lol, you gotta be joking. This is an interesting POV as well. How is it flimsy from front to back? are your referring to the bumpers? My X7 has much less plastic than the 600 by a mile and nothing squeaks or feels fragile. It’s also rated one decibel louder than the Bentaga. If the interior squeaked, no way the X7 would compete against 200k Suvs. My dash, entire door cards are merino leather and all the rest is real wood or hard plastic with real aluminum switches. I am sorry but you must be blowing smoke if you noticed the chassis being fragile. Granted it’s not as robust as the 600/300 just based on history of previous models. However, I’ve never heard of a chassis failure of an X7 and yes it can feel soft if you’re in comfort mode but that’s kind of the goal. Whether I’m in Eco-mode or Sport+, I’m blowing your doors off while you’re still at the stoplight all while I’m getting a massage. Driving windy roads and I’m planted while your 600 wallows and I probably paid less then your 600. If you actually take it off-road, you win that argument of the better off-road vehicle. If you just daily or pavement road trip, the X7 wins all day long. Granted this X7 handles really well down gravel roads with A/S.

Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not hating on the 600 but for the price point they could have done much more and after driving it, we felt underwhelmed.
Recently picked up 2023 x7 and was tired of the lx600 wait list. Full leather, pano roof, bowers and wilkins audio, dhp for the same price as the lx and only waited 60 days to get it. Former 200LC owner and preferred to stay in family but couldn’t do the wait. Only wish the x7 sat up higher but the luxury is incredible for $100k. Hoping the GX550 is next home for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom