Imitation OEM SWB/ FST tailgate hinges... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was suckered into doing a friend a favor and made these.. What do you think? What would you pay for just the hinges- I had about 8 hours into these. The brown/painted stuff is the OEM original.
lrg0022.JPG
and maybe $10-$15 in consumables/metal.

Those look great. Do you think you learned enough in the process to bring down production time if you do it again? I know I've had interest in some of the custom things I've built for my rigs until I tell peeps how many hours I have into the process.:rolleyes:

Yeah, have a large enough volume to subcontract it out to a shop! Seriously, having either stock the right width, having someone waterjet cut the pieces out, cutting the tubing square and precisely and finding a way to put the carriage bolt top on the pin or finding an alternative would make it faster. Tig welding would make a cleaner weld too.
I've seen what Kevin (Awl Teq) has done with his tailgates and sheet metal and he has the industry know-how but I don't think he is making what he's worth. Lucky for the landcruiser community he loves what he does!

I believe these are the same as the tailgate hardware from the FJ40. Remember seeing a complete kit including the latches and chains on eBay. Probably made in China. If that is the case your not going to find a market that would make it worth you while to make these by hand. The latches are harder to make. Right side can be found used since the barn doors and passenger's side spare tire carrier used the same latch. Left is the same as the 75/76 spare tire carrier and harder to find.

I think you are spot on, the SWB truck may only have one bolt on the lower tab-that would seem to be the only difference. I don't have a SWB truck to verify. I sourced the latches from misc. as mentioned above. The hardware on Ebay is tough to beat if one needs the whole kit.

FST hinge world has gotten really small, or zeroed.

bump. Doing a run of hinges for a FJ40 tailgate conversion project here and will likely make a few sets for the future. They will have @SMG 's really nice stainless pins. any interest at around $250 a set?

I will be doing the latch hooks as well - not completely sure on pricing but I would guess probably around $45-50 a pair

Hinges coming soon

2873ED22-33B6-4897-919A-3EE31E2F2EAE.jpeg

Slowly getting there with these.

Pins are stainless made by @SMG :)

50F9CA80-4E73-491F-944C-80115E394073.jpeg

Ok I think I am at the point where I am comfortable taking orders. These will have at least a 5-6 week turnaround time as I do have multiple projects like this as well as shop work. Due to the cost of materials and machining I will be taking orders up front. They will be $300 a set. Please PM me to order

Ok I think I am at the point where I am comfortable taking orders. These will have at least a 5-6 week turnaround time as I do have multiple projects like this as well as shop work. Due to the cost of materials and machining I will be taking orders up front. They will be $300 a set. Please PM me to order
Nicely done! That equates to $100 each. Pretty reasonable to me for the time invested.

Nicely done! That equates to $100 each. Pretty reasonable to me for the time invested.

Thanks. I was hoping to keep them under $100/hinge but unfortunately that is that is about as low as they can be with the pin machine work, laser cutting, welding time, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom