Builds Bemerritt Builds a 1970 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry I didn’t get back to you Brian. As you saw from my own posting, my truck was under the knife, and I was super-focused on getting back on the road. Now I’m going to be in a bums rush: I’ve got plans to head out again next week!

ive got a stack of alternator pulleys and crank locknuts, but no bellhousings to spare.

Sorry I didn’t get back to you Brian. As you saw from my own posting, my truck was under the knife, and I was super-focused on getting back on the road. Now I’m going to be in a bums rush: I’ve got plans to head out again next week!

ive got a stack of alternator pulleys and crank locknuts, but no bellhousings to spare.
No worries Mark, get it back on the road to enjoy!

Made some progress on the sliders. First time really using a notcher, so that was fun. I have always wanted to make my own sliders and other "armor" for offroading, so excited to get it under way.

Goal is to keep the oem step and provide protection to it as well as some to the lower corner of the fender. Hard to tell from the angle, but the center of the slider is right in line with the edge of the step.

IMG_3286.jpg

IMG_3290.jpg

IMG_3287.jpg

Ran out of welding gas on the long holiday weekend....so I decided to drop in the engine to start getting everything mocked up. Will still pull it all apart to fully weld up all items to the frame, clean off the old coating/rust and paint/por 15.

In it goes!
IMG_3329.jpg

Even after looking at disassembly photos, I htought I put the front engine mounts on opposite sides since the engine was so far to the driver side. Flipped them and I definitely had it right. So swapping that back and forth was extra fun.

IMG_3334.jpg

Then moved onto the throttle linkage. Got all my parts from redline. The adapter that mounts to the intake manifold was hitting the brake booster, so I had to make my own to pull it from the front. Happy with how it turned out.

IMG_3401.jpg

Original gas pedal, just had to bend the spring a little.

IMG_3403.jpg

can you post up a few more pics showing clearance around booster and sniper?

You need to fold the locktabs on the harmonic balancer nut.😉

Did similar on my front springs.To check before welding all in mounted top spring only and drew down to flat and inverted to check travel of shackle.(flat clearance then as inverts starts back). Yours is looking good your doing good job posting picture's,I'm to tech challenged too.lol

can you post up a few more pics showing clearance around booster and sniper?

It was within millimeters. I didnt have my rear engine mounts so it was tilted back a little more than usual. Once i put it in for good in a couple weeks, I'll try and grab a pic.

You need to fold the locktabs on the harmonic balancer nut.😉

Thanks Mark! Now that the bell housing is on I should crank it down. While i have you, any recommendation for an extension for the brake push rod? It seems I need to extend it about 4 inches or so when using your adapter.

Thanks!

Big things this weekend. Sliders got tacked in place so i could strip down the frame for finish welding, cleanup, and POR 15. Here is how it sits....

IMG_3492.jpg

But getting there was quite the journey. Moved most of it myself other tha nmy wife helping me remove the top and my father helping me put it back on. Picker helped a lot, will probably lose one fingernail I smashed in the process.

IMG_3323.jpg

IMG_3484.jpg

IMG_3483.jpg

IMG_3475.jpg

Tight squeeze playing tetris with no one to help and only one way to lift heavy items. This was definitely one of those times that it took me a long time to accomplish very little. But now the shop is all cleaned up for the next phase.

Weld/clean/paint frame
Mount engine
Rebuild axles and mount
have a roller by the end of the year

Questions I have:
- Does anyone know how far back I need to move the support brace to accommodate the 5 speed and split transfer case. Ordering that in about 2 months, but I'd like to be ready to drop it in. Thanks!

H55f + splitcase is 24” from transmission/bellhousing mating surface (same as 3-speed) to tcase output.

Crossmember is 22” from bellhousing mating surface. So at least 3” for everything to clear, however I’m about to put an h55f into a 70 here and going to move the crossmember all the way back to around the spring hanger to allow plenty of room to work around and service the transfer case.

Unrelated, but since you are going to plumb your entire brake line system from scratch (assuming you aren't planning to reuse any of the 9mm stuff), highly recommend you pick up a few sets of my brake line mounting tabs (made exactly for Toyota 10mm hoses and clips).

A79D4A6D-1620-41F8-95B5-7DE659AE95D8.jpeg
CE6CEC31-D2B4-40BC-BF21-3A7CEAE2F877.jpeg

H55f + splitcase is 24” from transmission/bellhousing mating surface (same as 3-speed) to tcase output.

Crossmember is 22” from bellhousing mating surface. So at least 3” for everything to clear, however I’m about to put an h55f into a 70 here and going to move the crossmember all the way back to around the spring hanger to allow plenty of room to work around and service the transfer case.

Unrelated, but since you are going to plumb your entire brake line system from scratch (assuming you aren't planning to reuse any of the 9mm stuff), highly recommend you pick up a few sets of my brake line mounting tabs (made exactly for Toyota 10mm hoses and clips).

View attachment 3186104View attachment 3186105
Thanks for the measurement! And thanks for the shout out for those tabs, I'll take a look. Definitely going dual circuit with a booster, proportioning valve, and all 10mm.

Nice work on the F rebuild! I like how that PS bracket mounts up with the alternator relocated. I have a scout box I am considering swapping to and that looks really clean. Are you going to be able to keep the F air cleaner?

Also interested in the booster/MC to sniper clearances. My rib is already half cut, so I may modify or make my own bracket to strike some middle ground

Last edited:
Some good progress on welding up the newly located suspension parts and sliders. Just a couple more reinforcements on the front end for the power steering and relocating the crossbeam support for the 5 spped/split case and then its off to paint.

The previous owner definitely had a protective coating on the frame that kept it in very good condition, you can see the coating where i didnt prep it for the weld below.

IMG_3546.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

Decided to take a break from the grinding/welding and tear down the front axle so i could paint it at the same time as the frame. First time on a solid front axle.And here i thought pulling and rebooting CV's was a mess!

IMG_3524.jpg

Surprise #1 - 30 spline longfields

IMG_3528.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

Definitely some noticable wear, but i dont see any reason not to re-pack them and run them, unless someone here strongly advises against them? Am i on borrowed time? Are they bomb proof? Please advise!

IMG_3549.jpg

Surprise 2 - The axle seals were a total bear to get out. Tried the crowbar method that people all over hte internet made look easy. All it did for me was tear the rubber. I ended up going nuclear on them and bent them inward with a screwdriver to remove.
IMG_3555.jpg

Yup! I definitely need to write some up for posterity. Frame is painted. After wire wheeling the entire thing, i will never do that again! But I guess you have to prove to yourself you can do it on your first frame, right?

Starting to put things on for good. The big news is tomorrow I'll be ordering my h55f/splitcase combo so that I can mock up axles/driveshafts! Then time to install the DUI and fire this engine up.
IMG_3843.jpg

Hopefully you’ve replaced the alternator pulley and the retard dizzy since that picture was taken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom