Has anyone hit a rock so hard the diff separated a little? (Warning!!! GRAPHIC AXLE DAMAGE INSIDE) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The third wire is the breather hose grab it with some channel locks and pull it off.
The locker should be locked and the axles pulled.

I don’t remember how many nuts are holding the third but there’s a couple that come through the actuator.

Last edited:
92F2D2D6-05DD-4168-95FE-DBA43102BE02.jpeg

JMHO If your going in there just do it all.
Worth the peace of mind.

I have everything but the knuckles out. Even pulled the ABS sensor so as not to damage it. Any tricks to popping out the axle shafts? I put the trunnion cap back on to give me a little more grip, but they aren't coming out. I tried to put the locker on (car in run, not on) I heard it actuate, but wouldn't lock (rear either). I think I might call it a night, I'm exhausted. I remember pulling the shafts out relatively easily when I baselined her 5 years ago. Any ideas? I did run one of the nuts on the 3rd back on to hold it pretty close to where it should be.

If I've got twisted shafts I swear I'm going to give up. I might just pull it out as far as possible and shoot sealant in the crack and pray for a miracle.

I tried to put the locker on (car in run, not on) I heard it actuate, but wouldn't lock (rear either)
I have zero experience with lockers, but from what I've read they often need some axle rotation to engage. Did you rotate the front drive shaft?

just tried that and it didn't work. I'm so over this. I don't want to pay someone to fix it, but I might have to. I love my rig, but I've never actually broken it before............

Gummycrabs is right almost.
If you rotate the driveshaft it moves both axles equally and that won’t help.
You need to Rotate one axle or the other tell you here the locker engage.

Last edited:
Anyone have a write up on the choker method?

You got this man don’t give up.
If you have a center Diff lock button engage that then put the transfer case in neutral this will allow you to spin the axle shaft.

Make sure the diff is tight to the housing before trying to pull the axle shaft.
Put two or three nuts back on and snug them up. Then try again

You can also slid the drive flange back on install the snap ring and that well give you something more to pull on.

Done both of those, unfortunately. I think I will buy a slap hammer in the morning and go to town on it. maybe throw a choker on it and pull like mad.

The last 8 hours of my life

3394CE1B-7F95-489F-953F-941065A1FB5A.jpeg

A little more force and that diff housing may have been pushed into the ring gear.
Been there done that. Chewed through the housing and spewed out oil all the way home. Couldn't figure out where the burning oil smell was coming from.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom