Okie dream man cave! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is there an ideal distance between plugs on the walls? Originally I was thinking about a 4 plug box evenly between each window, but now I’m wondering if a box around a foot on each side of windows would be better, after all more is almost always better?

I went for overkill and did them every six feet through most of the shop. At workbenches, I did them every four feet or less (at least two outlets on each wall section - i.e.: wall between windows, window and door, etc). Also, at workbenches I have receptacles both above and below the workbench. I also alternated the circuits for the receptacles so that if I potentially tripped a breaker I could just plug into the next receptacle over and finish what I was doing instead of having to run to the panel in the middle of things.

I also have receptacles by each outside door so that it is easy to run an extension cord outside. I'm in town and I really didn't want to mess with exterior receptacles that others could mess with. Also receptacles in the ceiling for cord reels. Cordless tools have changed things since I wired the workshop 25 years ago, but I still tend to use the corded tools if I am setting up to do something for an afternoon. The cordless circular saw is great for a couple cuts, but I'll set up sawhorses and an extension cord outside if I'm cutting a lot or getting out the miter saw.

Where a GFCI was required, I did GFCI breakers instead of doing the first receptacle in the series as a GFCI. Using the breakers is more expensive, but I don't have to worry about a GFCI receptacle being behind something (that I then have to move) when it trips or trying to remember where the GFCI receptacle for a circuit is located. This also helps if someone else is working in the shop. They can go to the panel and reset the breaker without knowing all the intricacies of where GFCI receptacles may be located.

From your comments, it sounds like you're already doing separate power and lighting circuits but I'm surprised how many people have lights and power on the same circuit. The one time you trip the breaker and are fumbling around in the dark to restore power makes this bad choice pretty obvious.

With an abundance of wood all around me I am considering a wood stove with a blower in the corner where I intend on putting most of the tools and work benches. Its 26 degree's this morning and although it's not the quickest heat it's hard to turn away from using all the natural resources around me.

With a large open space I am considering drop down plastic sheeting to trap heat in the work area which is 20x23'. Not a ton of efficient ways to heat the barn in my opinion.

In addition to the wood stove I was thinking of some diesel kerosene torpedo heaters. Next year I am still considering a few propane radiant heaters.

Anyone have any ideas for a nice, safe wood burning stove?

The big downside of unvented heaters is the moisture they put into the air. For me, the smell is also an issue.

The big downside of unvented heaters is the moisture they put into the air. For me, the smell is also an issue.
Agree it isn't my favorite choice, especially with my office up above.

Can I put down the appropriate conduit with caps for weather from the pole where fiber will run? I need to put some down close to barn before they pour the sidewalks. The internet fiber is rumored to be available anywhere from March 2023 to the end of 2023.
Can they pull the fiber from the pole to the barn if I do this, for those that have been down this road before?

Amazing how weather so nice for so long and then turns to crap when things being painted. Wind blowing 25-35mph here last couple days.

ADE046E0-6CA5-4D3A-9503-58816D2CCEDC.jpeg

103C148D-DFBE-47BB-BBAF-DAFDFC787F83.jpeg

I had the same weather experience when it came time to pour the slab for my shop. It took almost two months for the weather and the contractors schedule to sync.

I had the same weather experience when it came time to pour the slab for my shop. It took almost two months for the weather and the contractors schedule to sync.
Kudos to the nice guys painting it, they have been here most days but today they left a little while ago. The west facing wall where the doors are must have been a pain with crosswind presenting itself.

Can I put down the appropriate conduit with caps for weather from the pole where fiber will run? I need to put some down close to barn before they pour the sidewalks. The internet fiber is rumored to be available anywhere from March 2023 to the end of 2023.
Can they pull the fiber from the pole to the barn if I do this, for those that have been down this road before?

The short answer is yes. The key word is "appropriate". Find out size required, type (I assume PVC), minimum bend radius allowed, and whether or not it needs a pull string(s) installed. Not an expert but I've seen plenty of conduit laid with wires pulled afterwards. If it's any distance then you generally need the pull strings.

On the other hand, if they are using direct bury then they will punch it in and under basically any obstacle. Given the two choices though, I would lay the conduit.

I don't think you are but If you're only talking about laying conduit with caps under the sidewalks (and marking where they are), then by all means just use 2" Sch 40 PVC, 1' or so longer than the width of the sidewalk and use the test caps. I'm sure they would appreciate that come install time.

I Didn’t consider any angles but I did call echo link about diameter and they said 1/2” conduit was fine and no specific type was preferred so I thought I’d do 3/4 or 1 inch.

Good questions to ask, the only angle is up from ground to the barn and from the pole where the conduit will track horizontally.

The pole in picture has the box for internet on it.

B6905018-3E9E-4E38-A191-5F3A7A36EA15.jpeg

That's what I would do; what I did in fact for my propane line - I had the trenching machine for a day, so I laid conduit for the propane line at the same time as for the electric service, even though I knew I wouldn't actually pull the propane line through for a relatively long time afterwards.

A pull line can be sucked through the conduit with a shop vacuum really easily, after it is all laid and cemented together. Can't imagine that your fiber optic cable will be very large or difficult to pull through conduit; should be an easy job with long-radius elbows.

You have to laugh sometime at all this. I spent hour last Friday digging where I was told the electric and and water conduits were suppose to be coming under the slab and stem wall. This in prep for my renting the trencher next Friday when my dear friend the electrician is coming into town.

I finally called our half ass part time contractor who told me where the conduit was coming out. Well he sent me drawing today where he now says they’re coming out.

Of course I was digging where the 80’ is. Now I get to back fill and dig a little more…

C18FD992-54EB-49EF-8763-4B15EFF72869.jpeg

Sometimes you just have to take the bull by the horns. After some decent rains and using a squeegee to push water out of the shop I was done.

Part time contractor hasn’t called and I’m done calling him since it doesn’t result in anything positive.

When talking to framers who were working on mom and dads porch Saturday I asked about putting the plastic on the roof. Friday we’re pulling power from the pole and start roughing in the building. No way to do this with the porous roof I’ve had.

Framer apparently offered to put plastic on top when they were framing but was told nope, roofer will do that. Painters probably 95% done working around high humidity and rain.

I asked Francisco if they could help out and they showed up Sunday and life is good!

59A7679A-F1DD-43E9-A0BF-1D353AD06B76.jpeg

The other eternal project is only lacking doors which the contractor keeps saying he will build doors to save us some money (4 months now). Local lumber company who has been great gave me name out of the blue last week to build doors. Tomorrow 4 11’x4’ doors he has made and going to seal will be hung if it doesn’t rain too much.
0087E2F1-50BB-4892-928B-E8CB302E1549.jpeg

D7413A1D-417E-42F0-87F6-E6A0387D2D61.jpeg

B829156D-5CD5-4A0A-85F0-1BF3294D0F02.jpeg

Last edited:
Well had big plans for trencher to get water line in and ditch for fiber but the roots slowed me down.

Trench for electric done. Purchased wire and conduit to bring power from pole to the shop and wow, that wasn’t cheap. Merry Christmas to me I guess!!

Ran out of light but conduit on wire, we did pull line inside shop which is something I’d never done. 160’ foot of 3-0 copper line and conduit done. I’m lost on what else the wire was I’ll let the experts figure that out. I know those bundles of wire packed a few pounds hauling em around and rolling em out in the 40 degree weather.

Tomorrow hook up to the pole and get done on inside what we can. I’ll definitely have some light in shop tomorrow!

Painters did finish though, exciting stuff.

FC6915DE-3EA4-4EB1-B358-4739EF9D720E.jpeg

3891B667-DFB6-4A24-A9A2-F9C14BD5097A.jpeg

We have light!! Power in the shop, upstairs office wired. Probably going to tackle the south wall tomorrow.

After all that calculating CFs and which lumen light is best, I think I’ll just stick with one, kidding of course.

So gratifying to do something on your own with the shop, instead of paying contractors to do it.

Electrical inspector indicated all was well and it was time to play frisbee.

77627CDB-2D8D-49FE-BFD0-5E88564E08D4.jpeg

88582B8D-401B-4696-A217-CB1F9660D731.jpeg

A055F4A8-BBCE-40C2-B837-899FB5D7D844.jpeg

1F7477FB-2CE8-4B8F-B61D-3EBDC852C07B.jpeg

Looking like a house now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom