What's your favorite 270 awning? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for a 270-degree awning to mount to my Rhino Rack. What do you have? What do you like/dislike about it?

Thanks in advance.

1656006617552.jpeg

I ended up going with a cheaper 270 the bushwakker. It is Chinese made but spent 7 days on Fraser Island in winds upto 25 knots with no worries. Comes with 1 x pole so you can install ropes when the going gets tough.

Overall I would buy again. If money wasn’t an issue I would run alucab or bush company.

551AB6A2-9E08-42BA-B163-97AEBC530587.jpeg

I have just installed a Bush Company 270XT last month on my ARB Base rack, love it, deploys in 20 seconds, free standing, solid frame and pivot points, very well engineered and packs away in under 60 seconds.
People ask me about it so I show them its that easy. I had a standard square with posts, guy ropes and pegs on my 100 for 14 years and only used it 10 times, just to much effort, I have already used this one more.

View attachment 3041696

View attachment 3041697
Great setup! Which mounting kit did you use to attach to the ARB BASERACK?
Thanks!

Great setup! Which mounting kit did you use to attach to the ARB BASERACK?
Thanks!
I used the BC brackets that came with the awning and drilled a few holes in the Base Rack, Kaon make a special set here in Australia and if I did it again I would pay the money

I also have moved to this. Using a Noah’s tarp I had around. It’s pretty easy to tie up and can be moved around.

Sold a rhino rack large batwing, which was fine. I didn’t love it or hate it. Easy to deploy, even with legs, but like many I had the wind catch it one day when it wasn’t staked. Luckily the hinges are sacrificial, Easy to replace, and only $20.

But I hardly used it. Turns out the kind of driving I did was point to point.

The one good thing was it was pretty lightweight for the size.

of course freestanding then the supports have to be a lot more sturdy, so the weight goes way up. I definitely wouldn’t want 80 lbs on the roof full time.

I may get a simple old style 2m at some point. Also toying with the idea of a hatch style awning with the shock corded poles.
I'm with Grinchy. Have the smaller Batwing. Didn't use it on any of my trips this year when I had it with me. I do have RaxBrax Quick Release so easy to put on and take off. I don't like having an awning when on tight trails and trees. Was on Schubarth Trail outside of CO Springs last year and scraped it up against a giant boulder on a tight spot.

I picked up a Moon Shade portable awning this summer and used a few times. I really like it, works well and it's light. Added two more poles and I can disconnect and leave it standing at camp site when I need to drive the truck somewhere.

I have since added a back awning pole thing flying tent. A generic one. Haven’t set it up yet. Took it around in the truck for the last couple months of summer fall and just never needed it. Basically same experience I had with the dedicated hard mount awning.

i went driver to avoid walking around the passenger side swing on my rear carrier. I would recommend passenger though, it makes more sense for pulling off the road and running out the awning, and would work better in a lot of pullouts / pullloffs for the same reason. If you have a swingout open you'd have to walk around it out of awning cover, but probably on balance worth the tradeoff.

i went driver to avoid walking around the passenger side swing on my rear carrier. I would recommend passenger though, it makes more sense for pulling off the road and running out the awning, and would work better in a lot of pullouts / pullloffs for the same reason. If you have a swingout open you'd have to walk around it out of awning cover, but probably on balance worth the tradeoff.
I had the same general reasoning plus my maxtrax are mounted to the drivers side.

Kind of random, but what made any of you all go passanger vs driver side?
Probably a side of the road thing. Makes it easy to just pull off the road and have the protected/non-traffic side of the vehicle be the shaded area and also not have the awning sticking out towards the roadway. One of our favorite uses is to set up on the side of the road in the Lamar Valley in Yellowstone and spend the long mid-day snoozing in camp chairs waiting for something to happen. Only had the awning for two trips there, but we made sure to get that use in a couple of days each time. Same idea along any other road in the States.

I'm researching awnings and found this great thread. What I want is some easy to deply and sturdy like a Bush Co 270 but also not so big and heavey in its stowed position. I realize thats wanting my cake and eating it too. I've never used an attached awning. Should I just go for it and invest in a big boy awning or start with a cheap one to to get a better feel for the pros and cons? I'd hat to have a $1500 awning that I decide I don't want. The only thing about it I think I might not like is the stored size and weight and "extra" thing on my rack while moving.

For those with a 270 style awning and dual rear bumper swingouts, how much of a pain is having to walk around the swingout? Maybe its not a big deal. I have to walk around it now with or without an awning. In the end, I just need cover along the side for my cot and swag and over the back hatch area for cargo access.

For thoses with something like the moon shade, how is setting it up with a mild wind by yoursef go?

I'm researching awnings and found this great thread. What I want is some easy to deply and sturdy like a Bush Co 270 but also not so big and heavey in its stowed position. I realize thats wanting my cake and eating it too. I've never used an attached awning. Should I just go for it and invest in a big boy awning or start with a cheap one to to get a better feel for the pros and cons? I'd hat to have a $1500 awning that I decide I don't want. The only thing about it I think I might not like is the stored size and weight and "extra" thing on my rack while moving.

For those with a 270 style awning and dual rear bumper swingouts, how much of a pain is having to walk around the swingout? Maybe its not a big deal. I have to walk around it now with or without an awning. In the end, I just need cover along the side for my cot and swag and over the back hatch area for cargo access.

For thoses with something like the moon shade, how is setting it up with a mild wind by yoursef go?
What are your use cases? While at camp or deployment for a lunch break or something for temporary sun relief? If it’s for longer term deployments like over night and your cruiser is your base camp and you need some coverage area to cook and/or chill under in crappy weather than I think go bigger. If your’re already dealing with the hassles of swing out bumper life then another minor annoyance shouldn’t be a deal breaker because the overall pro’s of the swing outs will probably offset the new con associated with walking around them due to a canopy (a con that I’m not sure I really grasp), especially if you’re pumping that sweet petrol from a 24+ gallon LRA.

I’ve been back and forth on installing one on the cruiser for a while and having a big Bunduawn 360 on our camper that I’ve deployed a ton of times I am sort of leaning toward something smaller and even at that I’m only leaning and not actively looking. Which is rare for me because once I get the itch I obsessively research and commit to these types of projects.

Weight on the roof is always something to think about, don’t even consider the hit to MPG because eventually it will reach its maximum low and will stay there regardless of what modifications you’re planning… that is actually a very freeing feeling I’m happy to embrace.

I will say that whatever you mount will act like a big kite and catch every breeze. Some of these awnings claim 30 mph wind without the need to tie down. This is bold AF and I call hogwash on that. If you think you’ll be in places where freak wind can arise, I’m looking at you, Moab and those other desert spots that I’ve trifled with before, then tie down every time.

Just noticed this thread. +1 for the BC 270XT. I bought some harbor freight adjustable paint poles for supports in extreme weather (heavy rain) and they fit perfectly in the existing tie down rings.

The Bush Company 270XT people refused to sell me one, because I've got a Darche tent (weird but true) so I've bought the brand-new 3rd generation Darche one - the shipment arrives this week (only one single show model has been seen in the wild so far). Looks similar in specs on paper, better in some respects (price/weight/lights/mounting options)... I'll let you know when it's here!

Anyone mount a BushCo XT Max on a Dissent roof rack? I’d like to see some pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom