Cold air on Passenger Side Floor - Has anyone figured it out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, I thought I'd let the group know how I fixed the cold air issue on my 100. The cabin air filter door wasn't completely seated against the airbox, and was creating a draft. Once I seated it fully it made a significant improvement. I also had cold air coming through the seam in the 2 parts of the airbox as @ClassyJalopy referenced above. I bought some insulated tape from Home Depot and ran it along the entire seam. Problem solved, and happy wife!

I also mostly got this issue resolved! This last summer I pulled off the carpet in my truck and found this gem. It was letting all the cold air inside!!
20200806_131101.jpg

I also have this problem and my wife despises riding shotgun during the winter months. It’s good to know I am not the only one experiencing this. I’ll give a few of the previously mentioned fixes a try this weekend.

Well, plugged the AC drain hose with not much change.
What I did do that had a major impact and pretty much fixed the problem was to put foam weatherstrip up between the firewall and inside of the passenger side compartment just above where the carpet ends.
The foam piece was the 2-1/4" x 2-1/4" that I cut to approx. 12" and stuffed up there. It isn't pretty but almost impossible to see.
I purchased the weather strip at Home Depot but am sure it is readily available at all hardware stores.
Cheap fix for $5 and the wife is happy now!

View attachment 1910206View attachment 1910207View attachment 1910208
This is 3 years ago that you did this. Is it still working? Did this solve the cold air long term? The wife freezes from this problem but doesn't seem to be a hot issue in the summer.

Thanks much for any info you have!

800 mile road trip in the LC100. 37F outside. Hot air coming from the vents, but wife was complaining about ice cold air on her right foot from under the dashboard while at highway speeds.

The quick solution was selecting the recirculate button. No more ice cold outside air.

Edit: Well s***. The computer still automatically cycles outside air every 15 minutes or so. 😅

Last edited:
Years later and on a completely different truck my wife just complained abt the cold air seeping in to the footwell. Time to start stuffing high density foam in the area behind the blower motor

Last edited:
Been watching this thread and hearing my wife's complaints for a couple of years, so finally spent some time on the subject. I still need the wife's approval after experience but the temperature reading is promising. I made three modifications at the same time, so unsure which have the greatest effect.

1) installed some 1 1/2" expanding foam between the blower assembly and the firewall, as well as around the wire harness hole on the firewall towards the passenger side. I'm least certain about the effectiveness of this since the foam was not fully expanded due to the low temperature in my workshop.
IMG_2596.JPG

2) Added a 3/32 Silicone cord to the groove in the Blower motor sub assembly where it 'interlocks' with the rest of the blower assembly. I had some extra cord left over from redoing the seal on my under hood fuse box, and it was the correct size. I don't recall seeing others try this, but it seemed strange to me that a proper seal (foam or rubber) was lacking on this junction.
IMG_2594.JPG

3) The junction between the blower assembly and cooler unit was overlapping plastic with some foam between the seam. The overlap was inconsistent and not very tight after 23 years so I just sealed it up with a single bead of RTV. I did carry the bead higher than what the photo shows, but didn't get all the way up, just focused on what was easily accessibly.
IMG_2595.JPG

Results so far) I drove it on the highway for 10 minutes at 70 mph with an outside temp of 35 degrees F. Climate system was set at 70 with outside air coming in. Passenger side footwell was consistently above 65 degrees and varied depending on how close to the passenger door (an subsequently how far away from the heater vent) I took the reading. I grabbed a picture right after I stopped and the foot well was still near 70. Ultimately I can't call this solved until the family Christmas road trip later this month and sign off from the wife, but I think the results are promising so far.

69161337274__0EC5036E-5DCD-428D-A563-A56B7578A71A.JPG

Been watching this thread and hearing my wife's complaints for a couple of years, so finally spent some time on the subject. I still need the wife's approval after experience but the temperature reading is promising. I made three modifications at the same time, so unsure which have the greatest effect.

1) installed some 1 1/2" expanding foam between the blower assembly and the firewall, as well as around the wire harness hole on the firewall towards the passenger side. I'm least certain about the effectiveness of this since the foam was not fully expanded due to the low temperature in my workshop.
View attachment 3183079

2) Added a 3/32 Silicone cord to the groove in the Blower motor sub assembly where it 'interlocks' with the rest of the blower assembly. I had some extra cord left over from redoing the seal on my under hood fuse box, and it was the correct size. I don't recall seeing others try this, but it seemed strange to me that a proper seal (foam or rubber) was lacking on this junction.
View attachment 3183089

3) The junction between the blower assembly and cooler unit was overlapping plastic with some foam between the seam. The overlap was inconsistent and not very tight after 23 years so I just sealed it up with a single bead of RTV. I did carry the bead higher than what the photo shows, but didn't get all the way up, just focused on what was easily accessibly.
View attachment 3183094

Results so far) I drove it on the highway for 10 minutes at 70 mph with an outside temp of 35 degrees F. Climate system was set at 70 with outside air coming in. Passenger side footwell was consistently above 65 degrees and varied depending on how close to the passenger door (an subsequently how far away from the heater vent) I took the reading. I grabbed a picture right after I stopped and the foot well was still near 70. Ultimately I can't call this solved until the family Christmas road trip later this month and sign off from the wife, but I think the results are promising so far.

View attachment 3183095

10 years from now some poor soul will appreciate this post. I do. If we can help 1 person. Best regards.

Still dealing with this. Borrowed an FLIR camera to pinpoint the cooler areas. It was immediately obvious the largest leak was around the air filter door. Took off the door and noticed a small crack in the cover. Replaced the cover and door with good used parts and used an unnecessarily large amount of FIPG to seal everything up. Still need to go out to see if that helped. I need to be traveling at highway speeds with air setting not on re-circ.
20230115_114848.jpg

It's been a few years since I have thought much bout this, but I had a friend riding shotgun during the last sub zero cold blast and there was cold air coming into the footwell. He was willing to dig around behind the glove box while cruising at 75mph. It was very clear the HVAC recirculate door behind the ECU is letting in the cold air I hadn't been able to identify the source of yet. The ECU was ice cold! Flipping the HVAC system to recirculate stopped the cold immediately. Granted this is not a long term solution since a heater set to recirculate will slowly fog up the windows.

Still dealing with this. Borrowed an FLIR camera to pinpoint the cooler areas. It was immediately obvious the largest leak was around the air filter door. Took off the door and noticed a small crack in the cover. Replaced the cover and door with good used parts and used an unnecessarily large amount of FIPG to seal everything up. Still need to go out to see if that helped. I need to be traveling at highway speeds with air setting not on re-circ.
View attachment 3224560
I wonder if @BenCC could 3D print a tighter fitting cabin filter cover with provisions for a rubber gasket. That dang cabin filter door always lets cool air in if its not shimmed up on my 99.

It's been a few years since I have thought much bout this, but I had a friend riding shotgun during the last sub zero cold blast and there was cold air coming into the footwell. He was willing to dig around behind the glove box while cruising at 75mph. It was very clear the HVAC recirculate door behind the ECU is letting in the cold air I hadn't been able to identify the source of yet. The ECU was ice cold! Flipping the HVAC system to recirculate stopped the cold immediately. Granted this is not a long term solution since a heater set to recirculate will slowly fog up the windows.

I wonder if @BenCC could 3D print a tighter fitting cabin filter cover with provisions for a rubber gasket. That dang cabin filter door always lets cool air in if its not shimmed up on my 99.
Yes this cold air issue has me stumped. I went out and drive the truck a highway speed and confirmed that the cold air is still seeping in from somewhere :(
I now have the door and cover sealed well with FIPG, so it seems there is another source for it too!

I'm joining the club. Drove my '06 LX up to Utah with my family this past month and my wife was complaining that her feet were freezing.

Here's my question: Is there not a heater vent in the passenger footwell like there is in the driver footwell??

I'm joining the club. Drove my '06 LX up to Utah with my family this past month and my wife was complaining that her feet were freezing.

Here's my question: Is there not a heater vent in the passenger footwell like there is in the driver footwell??
Yes, there is a passenger side footwell duct. I have actually gone as far as plugging part of the driver side duct with a rigid foam to direct more warm air to the passenger side.

This issue is, fresh ice cold air is also entering the passenger side. The passengers left leg could be on fire from the heater and their right leg could be frozen from the cold incoming air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom