Builds GXOG: My 2003 GX470 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A walk-around video showing off the key upgrades would be nice 😊

In particular, all the changes that went with the RCLT to make your GXes two of the most capable offroad rigs in the universe
He's got a walk around posted on facebook to GXOR... RCLT includes upgraded steering (200 rack) hiem joint double shear, all new lowers, spindles and uppers much beefier than stock... shocks and axles are up to the user which level of build and same with the rack... There are other things that need to be done include making the rear axle as beefy as the front setup and gears to accommodate 37's or larger depending on how much cutting you want to do. They have much more that those done to each truck including brakes but it's not necessary, I'm still running 460 front setup and 470 rear... BBK is on my list to knock out next. It's a long rabbit hole to go down, Vlad has had a few more versions of his truck than mine and I'm still on version 4ish. Not trying to speak for him but I do have a little bit of knowledge into his build... if you read this thread from the beginning it will give you some idea of the evolutions.

Wow I need to see if the link to video is here somewhere. Sounds like a very complex upgrade

Wow I need to see if the link to video is here somewhere. Sounds like a very complex upgrade
I believe he made the video pre RCLT... I would look on marlincrawler.com as it contains the info into the kits and install instruction download to show how involved this particular upgrade is.

A walk-around video showing off the key upgrades would be nice 😊

In particular, all the changes that went with the RCLT to make your GXes two of the most capable offroad rigs in the universe
There are several videos. There are several posts here and on FB and on Insta. All in you float to $12k for just the front. Then you have the rear, etc. Then you have tires and wheels...then you have to make those fit lol

Click to hear the grumble and how RCLT moves. This is up in TN at the Cove. CDL unlocked. Lockers unlocked. Just 4L in some wet rocks.

I was reading back on alternators and saw a comment that you replaced both DS and PS front diff supports. I had only previously read that the PS was problematic, from what you've seen from others (and based on the DS one having been beefed up in later models as well) do you think it's advisable to replace DS as well?

I was reading back on alternators and saw a comment that you replaced both DS and PS front diff supports. I had only previously read that the PS was problematic, from what you've seen from others (and based on the DS one having been beefed up in later models as well) do you think it's advisable to replace DS as well?
the passenger is the only one with a superseded part. the driver is exactly the same. Mine was just clapped out haha

the passenger is the only one with a superseded part. the driver is exactly the same. Mine was just clapped out haha
Did you ever consider adding the Marlin Crawler Taco Box to improve your build's torque & transfer case gear ratios?

Did you ever consider adding the Marlin Crawler Taco Box to improve your build's torque & transfer case gear ratios?
I am going to add a NWFab crawler box to both our trucks in the next few years. That and beefier driveshafts are the last step.

Why go with that over a tacobox?

They are making a bolt in kit with a new FJ tcase setup with all new parts. Pull tcase, bolt in, run shifters, attach driveshafts. To do a tacobox requires more parts, more time, and more fit an finish.

I did see Marlin had some prebuilt kits available. If they still have em when the time comes I can do that, but I don't want to have to build it myself. I am busy enough!

Makes sense I called Marlin last week about the tacobox and they did say that since the GX is full time 4WD the tcase is longer so it would likely mean interference with the gas tank. I haven't done enough research and there isn't really anything on putting one in a GX that I can find but good to know there are potentially other options

Makes sense I called Marlin last week about the tacobox and they did say that since the GX is full time 4WD the tcase is longer so it would likely mean interference with the gas tank. I haven't done enough research and there isn't really anything on putting one in a GX that I can find but good to know there are potentially other options
yeah unless you clearance the tank or you go to an FJ case.....that is why northwest was an option as they were/are going to offer a prebuilt brand new FJ case on their crawl box ready to bolt in and it won't interfere with the gas tank.

Added an aggressive amount of logo stuff to the truck from gxor.org haha
20221121_172638488_iOS.jpg

yeah unless you clearance the tank or you go to an FJ case.....that is why northwest was an option as they were/are going to offer a prebuilt brand new FJ case on their crawl box ready to bolt in and it won't interfere with the gas tank.
I was looking under mine to get an idea of clearance and it looks like the actuator on the back of the case is what would interfere with the gas tank. Have you heard if anyone converting that to manual shift?

Downside of the FJ case is you lose AWD/ the center diff so it’s either 2wd with the entire front axles diff and driveshaft still spinning from the wheels or locked 4wd which isn’t ideal on pavement.

I was looking under mine to get an idea of clearance and it looks like the actuator on the back of the case is what would interfere with the gas tank. Have you heard if anyone converting that to manual shift?

Downside of the FJ case is you lose AWD/ the center diff so it’s either 2wd with the entire front axles diff and driveshaft still spinning from the wheels or locked 4wd which isn’t ideal on pavement.
I'll add that after a recent trip to Hotsprings where I snapped a pinion shaft, I drove home in 2WD (rear) and had to drop the front driveshaft due to different gearing in the pumpkin I used from my front, the handling on these trucks is quite different in 2WD CDL... It had a lot less control than I'm used to, even though I'm on 37's and no sway bars, it handles well with the suspension I have when it's in AWD.

Believe there is an option to have a manual CDL with the manual case. That is what I am waiting to hear.

Yes manual FJ cruisers were full time 4wd

Reactions: GXO
Everything I've seen says the transfer case in the manual FJCs has a totally different bolt pattern and spline count so it doesn't work. I'll be interested to see how someone makes that work on a GX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom