Builds Fj40 re-rebuild! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Working on a radio. Inspired by @S4Cruiser, just an amp with a Bluetooth module.

2E77F01A-9A49-4556-B258-9C57F5BD4F52.jpeg

The 4:1 gear set was a total game changer. I still could use a touch more low range. Ultimately I’m going to switch drivetrains but my kids keep me pretty busy at this point.

I’m sort of exploring the idea of putting h41 gears into my h42? Or swapping in an h41? I don’t know all the details, I’ll need to do more research.

I currently have an h42 and splitcase out of an 85 fj60. So not too sure what will and won’t work.

Can anyone school me on what I need to make an h41 work? I’ve done some reading but still unsure. Just feel like I need a touch more low range.

Currently have a 1985 fj60 h42 and splitcase.

Can anyone school me on what I need to make an h41 work? I’ve done some reading but still unsure. Just feel like I need a touch more low range.

Currently have a 1985 fj60 h42 and splitcase.
What transfer case gears do you have again? I am pretty sure that the h41 and h42 have the exact same case, just different gear ratios. Please verify that as it’s been a long time since I have worked on either case.

Have you thought about the H55F?

in 2023 I would just put an H55f in it and change your driveshafts. With what you are going to spend for an H41 (which will probably be a beat South American or Middle East unit) and then rebuild parts that it WILL need you will be value ahead buying a new H55f especially if you have a wholesale Toyota account available.

I have a 80-81 (splitcase) H41 here that would be a bolt in for you but it needs an input shaft which is super rare. I had a line on one but it was like $600 after shipping from Europe

bummer. Was hoping it would be something I could get into as a cheaper alternative.

@Mike Shull I have advance adapter 4:1 kit. I think sumo gears.

I’m at 70:1 overall which is worlds better that stock fj60 gearing, but I’d love to be closer to 100:1

H55f will do that, guessing you have 4.88’s? (97:1 1st gear with 4.88’s and 4:1)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom