99 miles to the new sty! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone have a recco for a carb guy in Norcal?

Carb is an Aisan

View attachment 3180966
Yeah, you.
There are a lot of very good reasons to rebuild your own carb.
Pinhead (no relation) has videos on the YouTube on how to do it. Many threads on 'Mud on same.
You can do it in a weekend, have you checked the turnaround time elsewhere?
Not to disparage the big names already mentioned, i got parts & pieces from each on my rig, but the LandCruiser is very simple and meant to be wrenched on by owners.

Yeah, you.
Pinhead (no relation) has videos on the YouTube on how to do it. Many threads on 'Mud on same.
Not to disparage the big names already mentioned, i got parts & pieces from each on my rig, but the LandCruiser is very simple and meant to be wrenched on by owners.
Turn around time is about week. yeah, dosent look too complicated. Ive seen a few vids from Mikes carb that are fairly detailed. I am on the fence about what direction I am gonna go. I just returned the rebuild kit tho.😏

For what it's worth, I find these old carbs quite pleasant to work on. Can of Berryman's dip, brake cleaner, compressed air to blow the passages out, and a nice clean and well-lit workspace are the key ingredients. I use old prescription pill containers to soak/store the small pieces. A couple of nights with some good music on and you're set.
I am slowly getting talked back into this one. What kit would you reco for rebuilding?

L
There's numbers and letters hand stamped on the top of your carb. Find them, learn the code, you'll know day, month, year.
looks like its a 8-76 carb then the number is 6H 30. Do newer carbs work correcty on older models?

carb number.jpg

Last edited:
L

looks like its a 8-76 carb then the number is 6H 30. Do newer carbs work correcty ion older models?

View attachment 3182419
Very often yes. LandCruisers are famous for that.
Some carbs seem to be "better" at something, they all seem to work.
I thought that a '76 carb would be a vacuum secondary. Could be wrong.
More pics of your carb please.
Here's my 12/73...

20221126_145253.jpg

Very often yes. LandCruisers are famous for that.
Some carbs seem to be "better" at something, they all seem to work.
I thought that a '76 carb would be a vacuum secondary. Could be wrong.
More pics of your carb please.
Here's my 12/73...

View attachment 3182446
ok addl pics:

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

c5.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I was going to say the same about the year of your carb as @Pighead mentioned above, yours has a mechanical secondary and looks a lot like the one I rebuilt for my 5/70 FJ40. I believe I used the kit from Cruiser Outfitters/CruiserTeq for that one. I used the kit from Cruiser Corps for my 5/79. Had good luck with both.

I am about to rebuild my (I assume, need to verify) '78 2F FJ55 carb and ordered a kit from Rock Auto for that one. I chose that kit because it was the only one that included a new secondary diaphragm (I checked both the aforementioned sources first; it is an extra from CruiserTeq and the Corps is vague about including it and it is not pictured). The one from Rock Auto is said to be Hygrade brand, which is good in my book and it was priced well.

EDIT: And I should add that the secondary diaphragm is not a concern in your case, I would likely go with CruiserTeq (Kurt) on that if it were mine. Oh, and @Pighead has an awesome valve cover.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was going to say the same about the year of your carb as @Pighead mentioned above, yours has a mechanical secondary and looks a lot like the one I rebuilt for my 5/70 FJ40. I believe I used the kit from Cruiser Outfitters/CruiserTeq for that one. I used the kit from Cruiser Corps for my 5/79. Had good luck with both.

I am about to rebuild my (I assume, need to verify) '78 2F FJ55 carb and ordered a kit from Rock Auto for that one. I chose that kit because it was the only one that included a new secondary diaphragm (I checked both the aforementioned sources first; it is an extra from CruiserTeq and the Corps is vague about including it and it is not pictured). The one from Rock Auto is said to be Hygrade brand, which is good in my book and it was priced well.

EDIT: And I should add that the secondary diaphragm is not a concern in your case, I would likely go with CruiserTeq (Kurt) on that if it were mine. Oh, and @Pighead has an awesome valve cover.
I noticed there is no float in the kit. Didnt see it on the cruiserteq either. thoughts?

For what it's worth, I find these old carbs quite pleasant to work on. Can of Berryman's dip, brake cleaner, compressed air to blow the passages out, and a nice clean and well-lit workspace are the key ingredients. I use old prescription pill containers to soak/store the small pieces. A couple of nights with some good music on and you're set.
Truth!
Someone made some pretty sweet videos that cover the rebuilds.
I want to say @surfpig ? or @Coolerman ?

Yeah, you.
Yep! @pinhead - weird, that name doesn't pull up a member. Is he not on here any longer?

I noticed there is no float in the kit. Didnt see it on the cruiserteq either. thoughts?
Correct, no floats. I test mine but they all seem pretty stout and I have not had issues with them. Just try to drown 'em in some gas and make sure they are not damaged and you should be good to go. They are (I assume) closed-cell foam or similar and don't tend to develop pinhole leaks like the old soldered brass floats can.

Another tip: if you have the Haynes manual, the carb section there is quite good in my opinion. Of course, there are videos and official Toyota sources as well.

The only rebuild issue I ran into was getting the vacuum secondary shaft spring set right on my 5/79 carb. It is poorly documented, but the spring needs to be pre-loaded (I attempted to post something here explaining this once but you really need to have it scattered on a bench for it to make sense). Again, not an issue for you.

Another tip: if you have the Haynes manual, the carb section there is quite good in my opinion. Of course, there are videos and official Toyota sources as well.

The only rebuild issue I ran into was getting the vacuum secondary shaft spring set right on my 5/79 carb. It is poorly documented, but the spring needs to be pre-loaded (I attempted to post something here explaining this once but you really need to have it scattered on a bench for it to make sense). Again, not an issue for you.
Im deep in this now. I just watched 5 pinhead videos for the rebuild process and now I need a drink.

Yeah, you.
Yeah, you.
Turnaround time is painful.. Patience is not one of my strengths, and it's about 10-12 weeks in my experiences... If there is a next time, this thread and the references/info included are golden... always learning..shifted me from 'why' to 'why not'... post pics if you decide to do it! Good info..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom