99 miles to the new sty! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, are you saying use a stud spade type terminal to attach a ground under the nut holding the blinker unit in place?

View attachment 3178844
No. The actual blinker unit, under the dash, is rarely a problem.
Adding a ground wire from each of the thin metal reflector things that the bulbs sit in to a solid piece of grounded metal often solves the blinking problem.

No. The actual blinker unit, under the dash, is rarely a problem.
Adding a ground wire from each of the thin metal reflector things that the bulbs sit in to a solid piece of grounded metal often solves the blinking problem.
If I can't get the blinker unit off ,how can I feed a wire from the bulb socket to a grounding source? The blinker seems to be working agian :oops:

Yippee!!!

Yes, you can examine the horn contacts w/o pulling the steering wheel.

Back behind the wheel there are 3 small, long Phillips head screws that hold the center pad on. Unscrew those, remove the center pad and take a look!
had to pull a few tricks to get those long bolts out(semi striped), are these available? Maybe they are common ? Would make sense to put in new ones maybe allen heads for future removal. Thoughts?

had to pull a few tricks to get those long bolts out(semi striped), are these available? Maybe they are common ? Would make sense to put in new ones maybe allen heads for future removal. Thoughts?
on a roll here..

horn contact.jpg

If I can't get the blinker unit off ,how can I feed a wire from the bulb socket to a grounding source? The blinker seems to be working agian :oops:
Leave the blinker out of it for now.
You run a ground wire from each of your light housings to the nearest good ground.
Imagine this is a taillight housing, attach one end of a wire to it. Attach the other end of the wire to a nice clean piece of body or frame.

20221127_112412.jpg

20221127_112454.jpg

OK, lights all working, horn working, tank getting cleaned sealed. Does anyone have a recco for a carb guy in Norcal? I just spoke with someone who quoted almost $600 for a rebuild. redic. I have a rebuild kit and may attampt myself but rather outsource that piece.

Carb is an Aisan

Thanks in advance

Aisan carb.jpg

OK, lights all working, horn working, tank getting cleaned sealed. Does anyone have a recco for a carb guy in Norcal? I just spoke with someone who quoted almost $600 for a rebuild. redic. I have a rebuild kit and may attampt myself but rather outsource that piece.

Carb is an Aisan

Thanks in advance

View attachment 3180966
If you have the rebuild kit go for it... 550 I think is what I paid for each of mine (3).. All 3 are running like new...one for 10 years now...

If you have the rebuild kit go for it... 550 I think is what I paid for each of mine (3).. All 3 are running like new...one for 10 years now...
wow, guess thats close to the going rate, That said ,I found a guy whom reluctantly said he would rebuild it for 350, I think I might just do it.

Also, heard that the new fuels will take any sealent off the tank and to just clean them and dont seal. Any thoughts on that?

wow, guess thats close to the going rate, That said ,I found a guy whom reluctantly said he would rebuild it for 350, I think I might just do it.

Also, heard that the new fuels will take any sealent off the tank and to just clean them and dont seal. Any thoughts on that?
If its done right for 350 and you think he'll stand behind it, heck yeah...

Well, He said " there are no garrentees" which gives me some pause. I think I found another spot in Santa Rosa (mudrak.com) and the guy said he's done numerous Aisan rebuilds and specializes LCs.

Carb is an Aisan

Thanks in advance

View attachment 3180966
You want Mark to rebuild your carb.
He is in CA.

Carb is an Aisan

Thanks in advance

View attachment 3180966
You want Mark, aka @65swb45 - call him on da phone

Well, He said " there are no garrentees" which gives me some pause. I think I found another spot in Santa Rosa (mudrak.com) and the guy said he's done numerous Aisan rebuilds and specializes LCs.
I think Gary (Mudraks). Might dabble just a bit in Land Cruisers. 😃 The last time I was there. Where are you in Nor Cal?

D271BEFA-8832-42AC-8701-0A030FA7BB93.jpeg

E99003E1-5D37-476D-8C50-D9124D535D4D.jpeg

39229F70-B987-4C41-A419-C4C19333F7AA.jpeg

schnikes! I am in Southern Marin
Not understanding why shipping is a problem? I've shipped mine to Ohio from FL no issues.. My thought is if you're going Aisin the primary concern is to get it done right.. The carb is not something you want 'iffy'... Go w a name these experienced fellas suggest... There's more than 1. . I used JimTLC... but again he's in Ohio... he's not fast, but his service has been spot on for me each time...

Not understanding why shipping is a problem? I've shipped mine to Ohio from FL no issues.. My thought is if you're going Aisin the primary concern is to get it done right.. The carb is not something you want 'iffy'... Go w a name these experienced fellas suggest... There's more than 1. . I used JimTLC... but again he's in Ohio... he's not fast, but his service has been spot on for me each time...
Agree, Ive gone down the wrong path with a similar repair and had some regrets and wasted some $. I did call someone about shipping and they said they will not ship but cant remember if it was Mark or not. I am going to call Mark first given he's in CA and if not, JimTLC is a consideration.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I find these old carbs quite pleasant to work on. Can of Berryman's dip, brake cleaner, compressed air to blow the passages out, and a nice clean and well-lit workspace are the key ingredients. I use old prescription pill containers to soak/store the small pieces. A couple of nights with some good music on and you're set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom