Builds 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruise day.

@PabloCruise @Laughingjackal and I did a small shakedown trip in the cruisers.

Apparently the cruiser gods are biased.
View attachment 3050624

The Pig is cherry, plus it is running a 3FE/4spd combo. She scoots along quite well.

The 60 series has an Isuzu 4BD1T, intercooler SOA on 37's. a beast.

And of course, my BJ74 with a 13BT and holset. Hard to believe my 88 was the newest of the group.

This was the route. Just a quick drive to pull some hills and see how the 60 series would do as they are taking it to Black Hills Cruiser classic.
Altitude ranges from 4800 to start up to 8600 at the highest.

View attachment 3050626

Stopped in Laramie for breakfast. Yes those signs are on springs....yes, Wyoming is that windy.

View attachment 3050641

Heading out of Laramie we got quite the looks, and a few cell phone pictures of the cruiser parade. I grew up going to Laramie, the "big city" for groceries, always like it here, the wind not so much.

Beautiful weather, heading out of Laramie on i80 up the pass.

Heading up the hill, we had to slow down as some semi's were going 2 wide.

1080F EGT, 12psi at :

View attachment 3050683

This pass was a little slower up top as pablocruise's 3FE pig started feeling the effects of naturally aspirated engines at altitude. The turbo diesels went on like business as usual. Had boost and power left over for climbing in 5th.

Nice! I'll be heading down that stretch of 25 in a couple weeks on my way to texas

I just picked up a 2006 LHD FZJ74. Crawled your thread! Love the transformation! I miss Colorado!
Thank you! You will have to show us some pictures of that beast. Probabaly most missing cold weather and snow! 2-4” on Tuesday coming.

Last year FZJ74!!!
Coil springs!
Is that the fuel injected or carbed 1fz?
We are all jealous of that!

Thank you! You will have to show us some pictures of that beast. Probabaly most missing cold weather and snow! 2-4” on Tuesday coming.

Last year FZJ74!!!
Coil springs!
Is that the fuel injected or carbed 1fz?
We are all jealous of that!

GCC FZJ7x were all coil-pack 1FZ’s starting MY 2000.

I used to live in Denver. Right before it got crazy with too many people. Some of my best memories I had in Colorado. I hope to visit again soon with my wife and kids. Summer is the best. If we ever make it there, we'll probably go to Ouray. Amazing town.

Here is what I scored. I just took delivery a few hours ago. The cruiser has 70K KM or 43K miles. Steering, shifting everything feels like a new car. A score for sure.

In Saudi, the locals love to leave everything in wraps, new or old. So the first thing i'm going to do, is remove all that crap and get it cleaned and do fluid changes.

The tires are due so I'll swap in 285/75R16 Ko2s which I already have.

I've been chasing this exact car for soooooo many months. I'm really happy that I finally have it.

Production May of 2006! must have been towards the end of production. Crazy!

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-28 at 1.15.21 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-28 at 1.15.21 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-28 at 1.15.21 PM (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-28 at 1.15.21 PM (7).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-28 at 1.15.21 PM (6).jpeg

I used to live in Denver. Right before it got crazy with too many people. Some of my best memories I had in Colorado. I hope to visit again soon with my wife and kids. Summer is the best. If we ever make it there, we'll probably go to Ouray. Amazing town.

Here is what I scored. I just took delivery a few hours ago. The cruiser has 70K KM or 43K miles. Steering, shifting everything feels like a new car. A score for sure.

In Saudi, the locals love to leave everything in wraps, new or old. So the first thing i'm going to do, is remove all that crap and get it cleaned and do fluid changes.

I've been chasing this exact car for soooooo many months. I'm really happy that I finally have it.

View attachment 3179805

View attachment 3179809

View attachment 3179806

View attachment 3179808

View attachment 3179807

Man that thing is clean! Well 2031 and it’s good in the US.

That thing Probabaly zips right along quite well.

Colorado is still growing crazy. We live about 20 mins from Ft collins and greeley and it’s just booming still. At some point I will probably have enough…again lol.

Keep sharing this beauty!

View attachment 3179805

View attachment 3179809

View attachment 3179806

View attachment 3179808

View attachment 3179807
Looks like a great score Luai! I would love to see some of your builds in the 70 section here! Did you ever finish up that FJ73 rock crawler some of us saw in your shop??

Man that thing is clean! Well 2031 and it’s good in the US.

That thing Probabaly zips right along quite well.

Colorado is still growing crazy. We live about 20 mins from Ft collins and greeley and it’s just booming still. At some point I will probably have enough…again lol.

Keep sharing this beauty!

It drives really really good. I'm pleased with it. Just need to get the suspension good. Super bumpy in the rear.

You are lucky. Most people on this forum have never been on the trails in Colorado. Fall would be my favorite time to explore. Beautiful country!

Looks like a great score Luai! I would love to see some of your builds in the 70 section here! Did you ever finish up that FJ73 rock crawler some of us saw in your shop??

Hi Paul! great to hear from you. That crawler 73 you saw is still in pieces. Its waiting on coilovers from fox and parts from others. I don't know if you saw my troopy when you were in town. That thing is coming along nicely!

Whoa!
So clean!!!
I am jelly...

Thank you!
---------------

Sorry for taking over your thread Ben!

I'll start a thread for the 74 when I have enough things to share about it.

Whats new with your 74?

It drives really really good. I'm pleased with it. Just need to get the suspension good. Super bumpy in the rear.

You are lucky. Most people on this forum have never been on the trails in Colorado. Fall would be my favorite time to explore. Beautiful country!

Hi Paul! great to hear from you. That crawler 73 you saw is still in pieces. Its waiting on coilovers from fox and parts from others. I don't know if you saw my troopy when you were in town. That thing is coming along nicely!

Thank you!
---------------

Sorry for taking over your thread Ben!

I'll start a thread for the 74 when I have enough things to share about it.

Whats new with your 74?

Not taking over at all. Absolutely love your 74 and pictures. Super cool and rare.

I haven’t been doing much on it at all. I work for the man M-F plus coach my sons middle school basketball team since the beginning of October, 2 weeks left so time is pretty short…oh yeah remodeling our early 1900s farm house plus having cows, horses, chickens etc…

7584ADF2-F740-4037-B7A8-D1A296991428.gif

Enough of me whining…

0F degrees this morning. Starting will be tough. With the snow I was running 4high and even with rebuilt tcase, brand new driveshaft I still get the off throttle grrrr from the front end. Pretty positive it’s Becuase I have caster shims on the front axle and I’m just out of plane on the ujoints.

Always liked this video showing driveshaft angles and phase issues. If you haven’t seen it, it’s as simple as it gets and explains it all simply.

Well, today sucked. Finally got the eurovan running good last week. Was driving back to my house and got rear ended turning into the driveway:confused: weve had close calls, we live in the country so we are used to people to not paying attention flying up behind us.
I saw her when she turned onto our road which is only 1/4mile from highway to our driveway on county road. I checked again as i was getting ready turn left and she was on me and within .5 second hammered me, launched me while I was turning to get away spun me and combined with nasty winds dumped me on my side.
Ended up in the ER Becuase my stomach/back is really sore they wanted to make sure no internal issues. Scan was clean but just sore. So heading home to assess the damage but it’s totaled. She got a ticket.

Her boyfriend told my wife when she looked up she didn’t see tail lights or turn signal…looked up? She didn’t swerve to miss or brake marks from her. Either way she was hauling @ss and hit me regardless of turning.

So on my way home to check it out but I’m pretty bummed. I’m glad it wasn’t my land cruiser or I would have lost it.

EE8BAAC1-8FE6-4C5C-B6D6-7A4A1A10C75D.jpeg
74AFE0A6-5DA2-4761-B8E1-7FA35C66C4C3.jpeg
E0355B28-85C9-46A0-B502-2E4840A62F99.jpeg
D030E0C7-5206-4D04-8285-C5C7CAC0DCD3.jpeg

Gosh!! People never cease to amaze me... but in this case, I am glad you escaped with just some soreness! This could easily have been much worse.

This reminds me of when I was rear-ended on the highway in my 40 series. Patrol figured the fellers that hit me based on the skid marks of them trying to stop before they did against my land cruiser that they were still doing about 80km/hr when they hit me. There was a totaled honda accord and some other compact behind me (Toyota Camry?) when I drove away. I had to replace the 2 tail lights on the land cruiser.

Thank goodness you were not in the Land Cruiser indeed!

The hitch platform gives a pretty good look at how hard the hit was.

Gosh!! People never cease to amaze me... but in this case, I am glad you escaped with just some soreness! This could easily have been much worse.

This reminds me of when I was rear-ended on the highway in my 40 series. Patrol figured the fellers that hit me based on the skid marks of them trying to stop before they did against my land cruiser that they were still doing about 80km/hr when they hit me. There was a totaled honda accord and some other compact behind me (Toyota Camry?) when I drove away. I had to replace the 2 tail lights on the land cruiser.

Thank goodness you were not in the Land Cruiser indeed!

Yeah just not paying attention. Makes me mad. No one was really hurt so that’s the good thing. Wish I would have been in my cheap jetta. Now the fight begins to get our money back.

The hitch platform gives a pretty good look at how hard the hit was.

Yeah I’ve been hit before but this was a pretty damn hard hit. I don’t think she hit the brakes and she sure as heck didn’t swerve to avoid anything.

EB9C67BB-80D5-4E5C-86C3-21C869635793.jpeg

301B8D74-19BD-43EE-A3ED-7BD41B5E535F.jpeg

That little divot in the dirt Probabaly did me in.

Mate, glad you are alright. And as you and others have said happy it wasn't the cruiser. People scare me, and I can't believe most are allowed to drive with how little they pay attention to their surroundings.

Good to hear you are okay, sorry about the VW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom