Better trailer hitch options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got my 100 series a week ago today and have already hit my shin on the hitch once because of how far past the rear bumper it sticks out. Without a steel rear bumper is there a better hitch than what appears to be the Toyota bolt on one that sticks out 4" past the bumper? I tried doing a google search but it didn't really find anything besides custom bumpers and a few pintle mounts which I don't think my truck has. If a pintle mount is an option what pieces do I need? My rear bumper cover has some bumps and bruises so I don't mind if I have to cut a square in it for a pintle mount option.

Might want to post a picture of what you've got. I haven't seen a hitch that sticks out 4" past the bumper... The receiver on the other hand, yes. In that case just install it when needed.

Might want to post a picture of what you've got. I haven't seen a hitch that sticks out 4" past the bumper... The receiver on the other hand, yes. In that case just install it when needed.
I'll post one tomorrow, it sticks out a decent amount without the receiver attached.

I'll post one tomorrow, it sticks out a decent amount without the receiver attached.

X2 on pics

the few 100's I've had don't stick out past the bumper.

My curt hitch (sold by etrailer) doesn't stick out.

Pintles also stick out, more than you're describing. They are noisy as hell too.

My receiver sticks out only an inch or so...I grab a picture later.

I understand the receiver will stick out, what sticks out on my truck is the hitch itself. I didn't see any branding on the hitch like U-haul, Curt, ect. The bottom of the hitch is also fairly low, about the same distance as the spare tire hangs down.
D870DE5D-049E-443A-BBF6-E9E029DB81AE.jpeg

Ignition key for reference of how far past the bumper the hitch sticks out.

All I can offer is some means of mitigating the shin strike. There are a number of options of bumpers and steps that go in your receiver that would make hitting it with your shin less brutal. I searched Hitch receiver rubber bumper and found a number of options. Or, come on over to the dark side and get a tow rated Offroad bumper with integrated hitch receiver , like 4x4labs (Jk).

I understand the receiver will stick out, what sticks out on my truck is the hitch itself. I didn't see any branding on the hitch like U-haul, Curt, ect. The bottom of the hitch is also fairly low, about the same distance as the spare tire hangs down.View attachment 3181160

Ignition key for reference of how far past the bumper the hitch sticks out.

where the key ends at the weld, that is where the receiver should end.

While I don’t disagree in concept, wouldn’t that jam the hitch into the spare tire, and not leave room for the “pin”?

All I can offer is some means of mitigating the shin strike. There are a number of options of bumpers and steps that go in your receiver that would make hitting it with your shin less brutal. I searched Hitch receiver rubber bumper and found a number of options. Or, come on over to the dark side and get a tow rated Offroad bumper with integrated hitch receiver , like 4x4labs (Jk).
I wish an aftermarket bumper was in the budget but that will probably have to wait till I go back to work full time. Plus I need ball joints, valve cover gaskets and fluid changes right now.

I may just take it off if it isn't a huge pain. My young kids play in the front yard near the driveway and I'd hate for them to run into it. Plus it's extra weight being carried around for no real reason because I don't own a trailer yet. My bike rack goes in the hitch but it was meant to go on a roof rack and realistically I could probably just fit it in the back.

This is how the hitches have been on previous vehicles, including the 80 series I used to have so I was surprised how far this one sticks out.

That is about how far out min is as well. I thought it was the factory hitch but maybe not. No issues bumping into it for me though.

Strange. It looks like we have the same hitch, but mine is nowhere near that far out.

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 7.39.26 AM.png

Walking up the driveway, I noticed a substantial difference in trailer hitch “poke”, between our 06 LX, and 00 LC…

LX:
3B08066E-A97E-487D-B509-07E7A8BE39C3.jpeg

LC:
D770ABB5-C426-4A06-8EFD-A8FF589C131E.jpeg

I have an early 100 series OEM hitch on my '07. Measured with a straight edge on the face of the receiver I've got about 1 1/2" of poke to the top edge of the bumper.

There is no factory hitch receivers. They are branded Toyota but installed at the port or dealer. There are several styles as they were sourced from different manufacturers.

There is no factory hitch receivers. They are branded Toyota but installed at the port or dealer. There are several styles as they were sourced from different manufacturers.
Yes, that is my understanding as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom