Builds Paul R's BJ73 (Milo) Restomod Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still working on ordering lots of parts and as anyone that owns a 70 series knows it is a continual global hunt. I'll update on the drivetrain as more parts roll in.

While I'm waiting on drivetrain parts, I'm starting to make some progress on what I'm planning on for the dashboard and electronics. I came across a few options and decided to go with One Gauge (arduino based that will allow analog sensors and digital I/O) along with a pidash to get custom screen sizes and able to run a Tuner Studio dashboard. I plan to replace both the dash gauge and the inclinometer gauge with LCD screens in the stock locations. Since I haven't found a 24V head unit I like, I'm currently also working on piecing together a setup using another Raspberry Pi and Open Auto to create a 24V head unit with car play compatibility (I'll share more on that as I get closer).

Sensors:
  • Main Dash Gauge
    • GPS Speedo/Odometer
    • Tachometer (Off injection Pump probably need to use Dakota Digital converter)
    • Coolant Temperature & pressure (2 in 1 sensor)
    • Oil Pressure & Temperature (2 in 1 sensor)
    • Boost PSI & temp at intake (2 in 1 sensor)
    • EGT Thermocouple pre turbo temp (Type K thermocouple)
    • Fuel Level (stock sending unnit)
    • 24V battery voltmeter (~0V - 32V scale)
    • Intake Vacuum level & temp at airbox (2 in 1 sensor)
    • TPMS (4 tires + Spare)
    • Fuel Pressure / temp?
    • Air Compressor pressure?
  • Inclinometer Gauge
    • Tilt & Roll (from board sensor)
    • Altitude (from board sensor)
    • Interior Temp
    • Exterior Temp

Digital Input Indicators (I’m assuming I can just run the to a terminal that will activate with +~14-28V input):
  • Ignition Position
  • Left Turn
  • Right Turn
  • High Beam
  • Park Brake
  • 4WD High
  • 4WD Low
  • Headlights
  • Door Sensors (relay output for chime)
  • Fog Lights
  • Front Locker
  • Rear Locker
  • Air Compressor On
  • Off Road Lights
  • Low Coolant Level

This is a quick and rough concept sketch for the gauge that I would like to use as a base design to get close to with some modifications. I would like to be as close to a stockish looking Toyota screen as possible. this one is modeled off of a mid 90s HZJ73 for the center section and then I'm adding other sections like TPMS, Boost and EGT. I also plan to list actual temperatures next to the applicable gauges. Still a long ways to go to make it a reality though.

Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 12.22.23 AM.png

I'm planning to use the 12.3" wide screen for the main dash area I will have to create a mount of some kind (planning to 3D print) but should fit almost perfectly.
IMG_6335.jpg

IMG_6336.jpg

I also plan to use either a 7.9" or 8.8" screen to replace the Inclinometer
IMG_7972.jpg

IMG_7973.jpg

that's awesome ^^^ You can get so much info from that. I wouldn't mind having one for the altimeter pod setup. The factory gauges are vague at best.

I know @saltycoconuts was working on an arduino setup as well, but I haven't heard from him for awhile.

that's awesome ^^^ You can get so much info from that. I wouldn't mind having one for the altimeter pod setup. The factory gauges are vague at best.

I know @saltycoconuts was working on an arduino setup as well, but I haven't heard from him for awhile.
I'm excited about it because of the flexibility. I looked into going at it from scratch boards and open source software, but decided that it was worth the extra dollars to start where someone else has already taken it to 90%. Michael at One Gauge has been especially accommodating.

I think Arduino is perfect for this type of a setup. I'd love to see what @saltycoconuts does as well.

So I ended up selling all of the 3B H55F parts that I had to a local trying to get a killer BJ43 dialed in. He's stoked to have some great parts, and I'm happy to be moving on. My biggest hang up is definitely the paint side of things seems like paint shops are absolutely slammed and they all want to do a show room job for $20k which is way more than I want to spend for a vehicle that is going to get used plenty. Ineed to get going on it because the engine is getting put together and the new drive train is starting to get ready.

@SNLC has been making some solid progress on the engine. Can't wait to get everything ready to drop the 1HD-FT in.

Ian has been great fabulous to work with and extremely helpful. He has also been great to send a bunch of build progress phots:
IMG_7480.JPEG

FullSizeRender 4.JPEG

Had the Pistons ceramic coated and inserted into the freshly machined block:
FullSizeRender 1.JPEG

FullSizeRender 6.JPEG

FullSizeRender 7.JPEG

FullSizeRender 8.JPEG

FullSizeRender 9.JPEG

Last edited:
WowZers! In for a penny in for a pound!

WowZers! In for a penny in for a pound!
That's the truth! It's still got a long road ahead, but I'm excited to be moving on it.

On another side note, I was able to drop by @SNLC's shop this week and see all the quality work he is churning out up there. Top notch!

All ready to go! It’s a beauty. 🥰
Amazing Ian!!! Thank you for doing such a great job and all the stellar information and communication throughout the build. It's been an absolute pleasure!

I'm excited to get into the next phase of the build and start getting the whole thing coming together.

Any update on this build?
Not too much to update on unfortunately. I finally have all the drive train ready to rock and roll and just need to carve out some time to work on it. I also bought another BJ73 for parts.

Work has been absolutely crazy this year and has taken more than its fair share of time, but it pays the bills so it comes before the builds. I also acquired another time suck. I bought a project 200 series that had hit a cow and that has taken a ton of my time lately. I'm working through the last of the major pieces for that one so I can take it to Baja to chase the B1K for Jaos/Canguro.

I hope to make some progress through the winter on this one, but it has a long ways to go.

Not too much to update on unfortunately. I finally have all the drive train ready to rock and roll and just need to carve out some time to work on it. I also bought another BJ73 for parts.

Work has been absolutely crazy this year and has taken more than its fair share of time, but it pays the bills so it comes before the builds. I also acquired another time suck. I bought a project 200 series that had hit a cow and that has taken a ton of my time lately. I'm working through the last of the major pieces for that one so I can take it to Baja to chase the B1K for Jaos/Canguro.

I hope to make some progress through the winter on this one, but it has a long ways to go.

The progress of that 200 (both through yours and Kurt's threads) is good reading material during Sunday breakfast. Thanks for the update on the BJ73.

Wow! I was thinking how cool an FT would be in a MWB cruiser! this is awesome!

Great engine choice!

What transmission? H151?

Subbed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom