Builds Project Lockjaw-1973 Fj40 on Tons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don’t know about you guys but I get overwhelmed when I go out in the garage. I don’t know what to work on when I do go out there. I have a ton of work to do. So I’ll ask the question, what should I knock out next

Don’t know about you guys but I get overwhelmed when I go out in the garage. I don’t know what to work on when I do go out there. I have a ton of work to do. So I’ll ask the question, what should I knock out next
Well, you do have that new bender to break in. Are you going to make seat mounts into the cage? I say get that done and then see how things fit in it.

It doesn't matter what, just pick something and get after it. The project as a whole will get you down, pick one thing and get that done. Before you know it you will be all done

Well, you do have that new bender to break in. Are you going to make seat mounts into the cage? I say get that done and then see how things fit in it.
Yes I am planning on adding seat mounts to the cage.

I have that problem when I'm in the midst of a big project.

What works for me is to just get out there, then put on some good music. I still can't figure out what to do by the time that's going then I start cleaning. Within short order my mind will come up with something productive to do to so I don't have to clean anymore, lol

All good suggestions. I feel the same at times. I agree, you have a new bender w/dies. Start fabbing up a cage. Or have you already done that and I missed it? You are guy with all the skills we are watching. Go get it.
And have fun.

Last edited:
You have to eat an elephant one bite at a time. Make your list of things to complete, prioritize if one is a prerequisite to others (critical path) and then start at the top and work down. If you get frustrated, take a break on one thing and move to another, while always respecting your critical path. Good luck!

Man I would just sell it and get a fancy new Jeep rubicon 😃. Just make sure you let me know first when you need me to haul it off to the scrap yard .

Got a little work done last night on LockJaw. Panhard bar is mocked up. More work to be done in the next week.
2BD4CA62-8299-4F68-94E4-A5AB5AE14260.jpeg
0204D144-4B2D-4899-9413-A7B9760246E8.jpeg

Is that the same length as your relay rod? I would put the knuckles on and get everything the same length and angle to ensure you don't have any bump-steer.

Got a little work done last night on LockJaw. Panhard bar is mocked up. More work to be done in the next week. View attachment 3183604

The knuckles were on when we did the Panhard bar. The relay should be about the same length and angle as Panhard. Everything is just tacked in place right now in case I need to move or adjust anything. Waiting on a set of drill bits to come in so I can drill out the steering arm for the Barnes4wd high steer kit.

I'm torn on what type of locker to put in LockJaw. I'm thinking a factory e-locker for the Sterling rear end. Maybe a ARB for the front or a mechanical locker. Any thoughts????

My buddy has been running a grizzly in his sterling and has been happy.

I always like a selectable in the front and a Grizzly or Detroit in the rear.

You'll want a selectable locker for the front.
I know this is really obvious - however, but if you don't have an automatic locker, don't forget you have selectable lockers by simply twisting the hub... it's what I do with mine and it works fine(ish)... though that said, I'd hate life if I had to daily it with that work-around

I used arb’s front/rear for 15 years in my 9.5 LC 3rd’s Never had one fail. I have also run Detroit’s in my mini 8 inch 3rd’s in the past, never again for what I need. I love the option of having a selectable locker. Just my 2 cents. But obviously if it’s a total trailer queen only on rocks I probably run a Detroit or similar.

ARB's & LC 9.5's dont last long for me. The cross shafts & spiders are not up to the task.

Nice build, keep postin...

Pre 2016 ARB were built with better parts, the OG airlockers had fewer issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom