Builds My Mexican 1965 FJ40V Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The loop is bolted in the roof channel. It’s length actually lifts the folded door a bit when hooked in place. Lift the folded door up at the middle joint, hook one side, let down so hook is holding folded door up, then lift again and do the other side. I guess this is meant to take the load off the vertical door channel and roller when bouncing down the road with the door open. I very rarely do that as I’m on dirt roads and get a tremendous dust storm in the rig if I do. 😂
IMG_3954.JPG
IMG_3952.JPG

Your FD cable pic is a bit soft but it doesn’t look original, the big hex thing should be a nut that turns on a larger diameter shaft. The FD knob should screw on to the pull cable shaft that should be 4mm diameter iirc as noted by @65swb45. Maybe your pull cable is broken at the shaft as it appears to not stick out like it needs to to thread the knob on. A side pic might help to show what’s going on with it.

Last edited:
Not a lot of detail in the parts book pic but it does show the orientation of the “back door stay sub-assy” parts H & K. They sit down in the roof channel.
94224402-FCE0-4458-BFBA-BF0B2837733D.png

I would like to see that too.😊 Ijust found a pair of those in my office drawer. I was going to post a pic and ask where they go. I pulled them off a ‘64 that I parted out in ‘92 and just don’t remember any more.☹️

This is what I have Mark, this is a zoom out of @tahoe40/45 's picture from an early manual, it gives you the orientation of the bases at least:

Captura de pantalla 2022-07-10 a la(s) 2.48.19 p.m..png

The loop is bolted in the roof channel. It’s length actually lifts the folded door a bit when hooked in place. Lift the folded door up at the middle joint, hook one side, let down so hook is holding folded door up, then lift again and do the other side. I guess this is meant to take the load off the vertical door channel and roller when bouncing down the road with the door open. I very rarely do that as I’m on dirt roads and get a tremendous dust storm in the rig if I do. 😂
View attachment 3055742View attachment 3055743

Your FD cable pic is a bit soft but it doesn’t look original, the big hex thing should be a nut that turns on a larger diameter shaft. The FD knob should screw on to the pull cable shaft that should be 4mm diameter iirc as noted by @65swb45. Maybe your pull cable is broken at the shaft as it appears to not stick out like it needs to to thread the knob on. A side pic might help to show what’s going on with it.

Thank you so so much! This is exactly what I was looking for.

View attachment 3055742View attachment 3055743

Here's a side picture of the F.D. thread, it is definitely 6mm. @thecrazygreek Can you make a 6mm thread button? If not I believe I can convert a 5mm one to 6mm.

Side_Front_Drive_Fj40_Pull.jpeg

I’ll look at mine closer tomorrow, yours doesn‘t look original but if a 6mm fits then go for it.

Original, but modified. They didn’t come with globbers on them.☹️

Hey there,

Message me on that FD KNOB. I'll get you a 4mm version free of charge. Just handle the shipping and I should get one to you in the next few days.

There's only two options regarding the threads. 4mm and 5mm. You got one of my 5mm. I believe they went up in size in the 64 to 65 year area...

Good Sir, I'd like to order a 5mm thread F.D. knob from you. Would you be able to make it 6mm? If not, 5mm will do!

Thank you!

J

Good Sir, I'd like to order a 5mm thread F.D. knob from you. Would you be able to make it 6mm? If not, 5mm will do!

Thank you!

J
I think I can pull off a 6mm but I'll have to find a proper insert that will fit the skinny neck of the FD knob.

5mm is ready to ship if you want to go that route.

Sorry for the delayed response, I haven't been on MUD in a while. Trying to catch up.

I think I can pull off a 6mm but I'll have to find a proper insert that will fit the skinny neck of the FD knob.

5mm is ready to ship if you want to go that route.

Sorry for the delayed response, I haven't been on MUD in a while. Trying to catch up.

Happy to take, and pay for, the 5 mm.

Please send me the total via message and I'll get it to you ASAP, shipping to 07928

I hit another obstacle, my filter and pump keep getting clogged by debris and fuel is not getting through.

I think it may be either a dirty tank or a faulty pump (probably due to a dirty tank...). I am thinking tank as the filter is filthy.

Either way I will keep you guys posted.

It will mean that I´ll have to remove the tank completely and if that doesn't work, then it'll be time to get a new pump.

Will keep you all posted!

Friends,

I am elated. Today, after nearly five years of owning and restoring my 1965 Mexican Build, I drove a Land Cruiser for the first time in my life, mine.

Is it perfect? Absolutely not. Did it feel perfect? Hell yes!

I want to acknowledge the input and help of @65swb45 , @HelloKitty65 @middlecalf @pardion @largeone @cruiseroutfit @ToyotaMatt , I would be no where near this if it weren't for their help, advise and knowledge which they kindly offered. I am probably forgetting others too, if I did, I mean no offense.

There's much still to be done to get it where I want to be but I just wanted to share the good news!

Pumping its first stop at the gas station and not filling it with bottles.

1965_FJ40_Fuel.jpg

1965_FJ40_FuelPumping_Happy.jpg

I took advantage that we redid the wiring for the wiper motors and added a third wire to subtly install interior lights (small LED strips) hidden inside the roof.

I am pleased with the outcome.

1965_FJ40_Interior_Seats_Coral.JPEG

I really liked how the seats came out, they're comfortable too!

1965_FJ40_Rear_Seats_Mexico.JPEG

Here she is, at the Pyramid of the Moon in Teotihuacán:

1965_FJ40_Moon_Pyramid.JPEG

Last edited:
Congrats on the project. I’m jealous! Do you have a set of Acorn hubcaps or can the rims accept them? Or did the Old Cruisers down south even come with them?

Congrats on the project. I’m jealous! Do you have a set of Acorn hubcaps or can the rims accept them? Or did the Old Cruisers down south even come with them?

Thanks Paul!

As far as I know Mexican 40's did come with hubcaps. Since I had to get new rims, the ones on mine were lost.

I decided to leave that as a very last treat and not a priority since it doesn't affect functionality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom