Question for the group '67 FJ45 LWB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '67 FJ45 LWB that is pretty much stock. The sheet metal is in good condition, engine is complete, lots of factory spare parts, but of course needs a lot of love to get back to street worthy. I plan on a lift, engine, trans/t-case swap and other mods to make it function like I'd like. Would it be worth modifying this '67, or would it be better to sell/trade for a later model truck from overseas that to me doesn't have as much value in regards to Land Cruiser heritage in the US.

Thanks
Scott

Read this thread. It’s your step-by-step…just read the whole story before you start

I rather have a solid base I can build upon versus getting something that appears to be good. Like many here I work on my cars and that makes you realize how many corners can be cut if one wanted to. I don’t mean to bash on others, and don’t want to get into the quality of cars from overseas etc.., some do great job restoring FJs and I don’t mean to generalize. But if you already have a nice unmolested early car why give it up? Many look for the very thing you have, I know I did for a long time.

I also prefer earlier models, somehow they have more character.

Earlier models are better built in my opinion and cleaner more classic lines. It's your truck build what you want cause your the one who is going to be driving it. Not a fan of square bezels and outside bump wiper motors, lift up door handles, padded interior door panels on the newer ones. All in personal taste I have a 4 door bandi I'm about to rip the front clip off and toss and go back to 67 front end. Round bezel, round blinkers, split hood. If your building with the intent to sell find someone who wants the old truck for what it is and build a overseas truck to sell off. Just personal opinion.

Earlier models are better built in my opinion and cleaner more classic lines. It's your truck build what you want cause your the one who is going to be driving it. Not a fan of square bezels and outside bump wiper motors, lift up door handles, padded interior door panels on the newer ones. All in personal taste I have a 4 door bandi I'm about to rip the front clip off and toss and go back to 67 front end. Round bezel, round blinkers, split hood. If your building with the intent to sell find someone who wants the old truck for what it is and build a overseas truck to sell off. Just personal opinion.

Here is a little backstory of myself. I've been building Cruisers for over 30 years. I've bought restored and sold a few, but I have a list that I want to keep and the FJ45 is on that list. The earliest 40 I've owned is a 72, although I put a lot of seat time in a '70 and '71 as well. I've since been more drawn towards the later models since I build to drive and since I can't be as lucky as some of you guys who get to live in small town America, I have to live close to the city so the street manners of the later models always appealed to me. Right now my and my wife's DD are an '84 FJ60 and an '83 HJ47. My daughter is driving the 80 while I rebuild her 55. I've got a few more along with a '60 Jeep FJ150 and a '72 Suburban. I'll grab a picture and post it. Here is a link to a thread from when it was rescued, I purchased it from TLC years ago. It's been stored inside or under a carport for years now. 1967 FJ45 LPB Barn Find - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1967-fj45-lpb-barn-find.233600/

Thanks for all the opinions

Last edited:
Can you post some pictures?
1669739404026.png

Anything other than those tincup masters on this rig isn’t an upgrade 😝.

yeah, I know….

@DieselFJ I'm a buyer for those master cylinders if you decide to "upgrade"
That's something I'll be upgrading for sure. When I start the build I'll post up the original parts I don't need or want.

All I know is please keep the patina! Some of us would kill to have a original patina truck running or not. I’d happily trade my ‘67 45 for a patina truck.

All I know is please keep the patina! Some of us would kill to have a original patina truck running or not. I’d happily trade my ‘67 45 for a patina truck.
My goal was new paint factory color, although I do appreciate a good patina.

124E41B9-E2DD-4FB1-9FB2-6AEF1C018F7A.jpeg

Last edited:
After years of mind numbing work on exact matching number parts and dates on muscle cars to retain their value, I have found the breath of fresh air in Cruisers. I believe that any sort of tasteful upgrade - especially factory based upgrade, only seems to help the value of old Cruisers. Things like swapping 1f/3 speed for a 2f/h55 (if that is your thing) or say 70 series axles or 60 series disc brake swaps. Done right, I think it adds to the appeal. As far as aftermarket items, we are very fortunate to have a lot of really high quality items available that won't hurt value either (unlike some of the garbage being shoveled in the J**P world) Keep whatcha got and make it yours. Sweet truck btw.

That's something I'll be upgrading for sure. When I start the build I'll post up the original parts I don't need or want.

It's your's to do what you want with it, but wow that baby looks pretty original and complete. Perfect for a barn find refresh. Also my favorite color. I would do things I'm not proud of to have that sitting next to my FJ40 haha!

thumbnail_IMG_8727.jpg

Looking forward to your build post.

It's your's to do what you want with it, but wow that baby looks pretty original and complete. Perfect for a barn find refresh. Also my favorite color. I would do things I'm not proud of to have that sitting next to my FJ40 haha!

View attachment 3234378

Looking forward to your build post.
That’s a good looking 40!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom