Seeking advice on selling a 1997 LX450 - where, how much, etc. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So interesting - will have to look up what common scams there are with people wanting vehicles shipped to them. I assume it has something to do with some of the funds not coming through or something like that, yet the vehicle is shipped off? Or somehow the funds are "recalled." Will definitely have to be vigilant - thanks for the heads-up!
The biggest scam is using fast cash/Venmo/whathaveyou and "Paying" for (insert item here), receiving it, and then the buyer disputing the sale...as in, it not being delivered, or something like that. The dispute normally goes in their favor and they get their money back.

Leaving you with no cash, and no vehicle.

All in all...if it were me and someone WASN'T coming out to take a look, we'd have multiple zoom and phone calls and even then, I'd require that buyer to make a hefty deposit / full purchase price via cashiers check at my credit union...once it cleared, I'd ship.

In lieu of that...best to either have someone travel with cash in hand (or both of you make a trip to your financial institution for a transfer), or just sell locally.

If you're selling here on MUD...I haven't come across a bad buyer/seller yet but there is a section of people to stay away from (bad buyers/sellers)

Here's some scam info you might want to look at...

For one of my 80's I paid cash face-to-face at the seller's home, the other we both drove to the bank and I paid cash face-to-face in the bank. In both cases they had the title in hand which I checked before handing over the cash.

FWIW

For one of my 80's I paid cash face-to-face at the seller's home, the other we both drove to the bank and I paid cash face-to-face in the bank. In both cases they had the title in hand which I checked before handing over the cash.

FWIW
For mine, I met the dude and his girlfriend, in a parking lot, on a rainy day in Portland...Both looked...super sketchy. The ad listed $5k for the rig and I figured I might be able to get it for $4k - I immediately found several things that I'd have to update ASAP, like tires (One was a 265 while the others were 275)...I offered $2300 to begin the negotiations thinking he'd scoff and throw me what I was hoping for at $4K but the dude JUMPED on my initial offer (this was January 2015). Completely surprised and taken aback, I said "Ok," and asked to see the title...it was clean...he signed it, we shook hands, I gave him the cash, and that was that. I had a pre-written receipt for both of us that I filled in the price and VIN...they declined a ride back to wherever they needed because I hadn't noticed a lack of a second vehicle waiting for them until that moment. They hopped on a bus and disappeared.

it was probably the sketchiest appearing sale of -anything- I've ever bought but it was on the up and up.

But, I ran a car report on it later...It was all super clean and correct and it turns out I'm the 3rd owner...the guy I bought it from only had it for about a month and barely drove it, so either he fell on super hard times and just needed the cash or he was a flipper and bought the Cruiser when the market for them was a lot more depressed than now.

Last edited:
Yes, also true on intent. If someone if traveling they are showing some good faith. I'll definitely keep all of this in mind. Thanks!
So.... How much you want for it?

The biggest scam is using fast cash/Venmo/whathaveyou and "Paying" for (insert item here), receiving it, and then the buyer disputing the sale...as in, it not being delivered, or something like that. The dispute normally goes in their favor and they get their money back.

Leaving you with no cash, and no vehicle.

All in all...if it were me and someone WASN'T coming out to take a look, we'd have multiple zoom and phone calls and even then, I'd require that buyer to make a hefty deposit / full purchase price via cashiers check at my credit union...once it cleared, I'd ship.

In lieu of that...best to either have someone travel with cash in hand (or both of you make a trip to your financial institution for a transfer), or just sell locally.

If you're selling here on MUD...I haven't come across a bad buyer/seller yet but there is a section of people to stay away from (bad buyers/sellers)

Here's some scam info you might want to look at...

Yes, I have heard of the payment dispute thing - basically gaming the system that favors the buyer. This is a good reminder that it's a real thing. Good tips on the remote purchase situation as well. And it's good to know that there is a community here on MUD that is looking out for others. Really appreciate all of this info!

FWIW
Great ideas - "cash is king," and it would be great if I can have a transaction like that. The bank seems to be a really good idea since you can deposit it directly into your account when you receive payment, and any counterfeit checks would also be occurring there at the time of deposit I assume. We shall see how all this goes down in the near future. Thanks!

Hey BigGrizzly, check your private messages when you get a chance (little envelope at top right of screen). :)

This is all great information - many thanks! This list is exactly what I was hoping to see on this forum - to understand what y'all seek in a 80. To answer as many questions as possible, this is what I know: No attempt to determine why the SRS/Airbag light is on (this is very recent - it was not on until the day I drove it to the mechanic), BAT never gave a reason why it wouldn't list it except for a generic message that the vehicle didn't meet their expectations. It's a "clean title" (not a salvage, no liens), as far as I know/remember it has not been in an accident and has its original paint. If the antenna is supposed to extend automatically then it does not work (the radio however works fine - stations come in clear). Front seats move forward and back, door locks and windows including the rear operate as expected. I do not know if the front axle has been serviced, and do not know if the head gasket has been replaced - however, there appears to be some oil seep from that area. There are no oil or coolant leaks or drips. This vehicle has been garage parked for most of its life here in the Houston area, so no ocean or salted roads. Again, many thanks and I welcome and appreciate any additional questions or advice the group has!
So a new development here. The diagnosis code for the SRS/airbag is "code 31 air bag control unit assembly." So how does this affect what y'all think of the vehicle? Is this something that I should fixed (replace the control unit - per the shop, Lexus has this part in-stock), or is this something to just disclose on any postings/auctions and let the buyer address it as they choose? I saw that there are a couple of older forums on the "code 31" - links below. Thoughts on this development? Always appreciate the great feedback!

Hi everyone - thanks again for all of your assistance a few months ago! The decision was made to put this vehicle up on Cars and Bids - the auction is live as of a few hours ago is anyone may be interested: 1997 Lexus LX 450 - 1-Family-Owned, 4WD, Locking Center Differential, Unmodified - https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3ojzmR0a/1997-lexus-lx-450 Again, many thanks!
Funny, I randomly thought about Cars and Bids this evening, prompting me to visit. Of course I searched for LCs and saw your rig and thought, "that's a nice looking LX!" Now, I find this thread....

Great rig. Would buy.

Funny, I randomly thought about Cars and Bids this evening, prompting me to visit. Of course I searched for LCs and saw your rig and thought, "that's a nice looking LX!" Now, I find this thread....

Great rig. Would buy.
That is an interesting coincidence! Thanks for the look and the compliments! I can see the passion that the LC/LX community has for these vehicles and we know that this vehicle will be in the hands of someone that will fully appreciate it. Have a good one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom