Server updates (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
And, if you are reading this, the cutover is completed. Search and other server processes are already being worked on.

-----------------

FINAL CUTOVER is between 3p and 3:30p Central TODAY (like, right about now....)

Search needs to be rebuilt, so patience please. Other tweaks will be happening over the next week, so patience please.

-----------------

I mean, if your going to migrate to newer faster hardware, why not do it on a holiday weekend?

The majority of the work is done, but a number of things will be occurring early this week. Newer, better, faster, stronger, etc...

Simply, the new setup has....
Double the RAM
Double the Drive Space
Double the Network Speed
Double the Multi-Core Performance Benchmark

Specs for the geeky folks...
1 x AMD EPYC 7502P (32/64)
---> 32 cores @ 2.5 GHz (64 Hyper-Threaded)
2 x 240 GB SSD (480GB total)
2 x 3.8 TB NVMe (7.6TB Total)
256 GB RAM
2 x 25 Gbps Network Connection

And FYI, I learned a LONG time ago that there are people far smarter than me for this stuff....

Last edited:
I knew there was a reason photos have been downloading so-o-o slow o_O

I've never noted any issues....4G, 5G, ATT, Verizon, Starlink, fiber....that's likely on your end. And I can't help solve issues if no one reports them :)

Dunno, Woody - I just clicked open a few threads that have been putting me to sleep waiting for the pics, and I'm seeing an improvement now by 200-300 %. Whatever, it's greatly appreciated!

Dunno, Woody - I just clicked open a few threads that have been putting me to sleep waiting for the pics, and I'm seeing an improvement now by 200-300 %. Whatever, it's greatly appreciated!
which is weird, since most of the forum is still on the old server for another day/three (only the database relocated). Obviously, a vastly improved db speed helps however. Just wait until it's ALL moved :)

Either way, glad it's improved.

PFA...holiday traffic...

20221123_131244.jpg

Thanks for making the needed updates and upgrades on a Sunday evening Woody , best possible time window for everyone to deal for a hour while needed maintenance is completed .......

happy holiday :santa:

matt

Hope it helps with the image downloads
I don’t think slow page loads on some threads is a server issue. What I think is happening is some threads are chock full of hi resolution images - like the one linked below - and as Woody stated, its a download speed issue on the user’s end, not a server issue.

This thread below is super cool with great images, but it’s all hi resolution images and sometimes it takes a loooong time to load the page:

Not related to the hardware of the server. That's mostly due to the forum running external images through its built-in proxy service, which is, to put it gently... idiotic... for a million reasons.

Source: 20+ years of web development experience.

Gangster.

@woody Are you self hosting or using a cloud provider? I'm looking for a good provider if you have one I could include in my search. Feel free to PM me with any recs. Nice work on the specs of the new setup. Should be bomber.

@woody Are you self hosting or using a cloud provider? I'm looking for a good provider if you have one I could include in my search. Feel free to PM me with any recs. Nice work on the specs of the new setup. Should be bomber.
Managed hosting (been working with a guy since 2009). He's the server expert, I know better :) My yearly costs are pushing $30k.

first post updated, cutover completed :)

Thanks woody!

Thanks woody, Great job. 🥃 🥃

Appreciate the work you do.

Reactions: r2m
first post updated, cutover completed :)
I don't care which end caused the slow downloads, THIS IS THE FASTEST PICS HAVE DOWNLOADED FOR ME IN MONTHS - THANK YOU!!!

I don't care which end caused the slow downloads, THIS IS THE FASTEST PICS HAVE DOWNLOADED FOR ME IN MONTHS - THANK YOU!!!
Stupid fast, I agree....and I'm looking at a few image optimization programs that work with the server/software as well. Need to let the dust settle from this upgrade first :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom