Inside of a 200 Series Transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Video is posted by Rocket Rod in Australia. He also provides very good information on how to prevent burning clutches (at 26 minute)

Great video!

Another that helps us understand what all of that stuff does:

Video is posted by Rocket Rod in Australia. He also provides very good information on how to prevent burning clutches (at 26 minute)

Great video. Takeaway is to use more low range when off-road, and don't rely on the torque converter to do all the hard work and overheating things.

I've tripped the thermal thresholds towing in high gear on steep grades. There, the ECU can lock up the torque converter in both 2nd, 3rd, and up to manage heat.

Ive been there........ twice. They dont like 1000nm of torque and shed skids (it was Xmas, it was required). Burnt the TC out once, Ripped the flex plate apart (made a billet one from a flywheel), New clutches and valve body, new cast pan

77121419_1254373114743120_2121208562796462080_o.jpg

79382420_1254373001409798_2247647632577003520_o.jpg

84716930_1321613238019107_1904899690348937216_o.jpg

IMG_0022(2).JPEG

77265467_1418102971693886_4221851890171772928_n.jpg

Interesting thread. I never really think about the trans on these rigs, probably because we don't drive in the sand as much as the Australians. The video seems to imply the AB60 has a habit of overheating in certain environments. Going down the rabbit hole I found this B&M high capacity pan kit.

Wonder if internal parts are available for these things?

Wonder if internal parts are available for these things?
Years ago I disassembled the manual transmission in my Tacoma to replace a bad bearing. The parts counter guy looked at me like I was an alien life form, clearly not believing anyone but a pro tech would be messing around inside a transmission. He came up with the bearing and that truck ran forever, including long after I sold it.

Years ago I disassembled the manual transmission in my Tacoma to replace a bad bearing. The parts counter guy looked at me like I was an alien life form, clearly not believing anyone but a pro tech would be messing around inside a transmission. He came up with the bearing and that truck ran forever, including long after I sold it.

Probably one of those W5x trannies Toyota fitted to everything? I tore down a W58 steel and allow sandwich plate to swap an internal part. It's like swimming in gear oil and garage stunk for months. Those were solid and great transmissions transmissions. I've never torn into an auto and from the looks above, they've got quite a few more parts.

Probably one of those W5x trannies Toyota fitted to everything? I tore down a W58 steel and allow sandwich plate to swap an internal part. It's like swimming in gear oil and garage stunk for months. Those were solid and great transmissions transmissions. I've never torn into an auto and from the looks above, they've got quite a few more parts.

There are differences but I did all new steels/frictions/pistons/some other parts in the 6L80 from my 80-series vortec swap and was actually surprised how easily everything came apart and went together. Changing the pistons required a little trickery in the press, but that was totally manageable in a home garage. If you are going to change bearings it's actually a bit easier to rebuild much of one of these (than many manuals) since you don't need to measure and shim for bearing end play. Just, as they said, get things like sprags installed in the correct orientation.

There is MUCH more to inspect for wear/damage, however. The video doesn't show them opening the valve body but that takes it to another level, if you aren't prepared.

I was impressed by the documentation that is available. Made things like getting the springs and check balls into the correct spots of the valve body super easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom