LOCAL Resources for Service, Parts, Tools, Supplies, Services Etc. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any recommended shops that have experience with auxiliary fuel tank installs? I'm thinking of getting an LRA 40 gal aux tank for my Hundy since they're on sale right now but don't have the space/time/tools/experience to do it on my own.

They won't. :) We're not installing LRA tanks anymore. The quality just isn't there.
Damn, that's disappointing to hear. Mind if I ask what the quality issues are? Do you still install aux tanks from other manufacturers?

I have a '99 so I'm not too concerned about the post-04 evap issues.

Damn, that's disappointing to hear. Mind if I ask what the quality issues are? Do you still install aux tanks from other manufacturers?

I have a '99 so I'm not too concerned about the post-04 evap issues.
We only did one auxiliary tank on a 100. Got the tank all installed and the filler wouldn't line up. Called LRA and they said they'd send us another. Waited on that and it still didn't fit. There response was oh yeah we changed the tank but forgot to make a redesigned filler. You do fab work, just make a filler. I lost a ton of money on that job. The fit and finish overall isn't great. I've seen issues with them rusting out. The install parts are low quality. And the best, on the 200 series there's a bulletin that if the vent filter clogs slap a tube sock over it. We don't install any aftermarket tanks anymore. They just aren't worth the headache.

Sorry guys - feel like this was partially answered earlier between 80 series tech and suggestion for Windshield City. Seeking some final advice before I commit to yanking front and rear glass. I have a rust spot starting to show below the gasket on the rear hatch of my '97 80 series, and looking closer, I found initial signs of a spot forming under the front windshield gasket as well I want to get ahead of.

Question if anyone has tackled this recently. Any local service you would recommend to do it all? Or suggest Windshield city handle both the glass pull and replacement and I do the rust repair myself? Or should I try to pull glass myself, repair myself and just have Windshield City professionally replace the glass?

Ps - can move to tech section if better suited but trying to do this locally if I can!

Last edited:
I would take it over to Windshield City and talk to Mike, the owner, about your specific situation. When he did my windshield he found a bit of rust and he wire brushed and primed it before installing the new glass. However, if it's real body work type of rust he may have you take it elsewhere for that.

I would take it over to Windshield City and talk to Mike, the owner, about your specific situation. When he did my windshield he found a bit of rust and he wire brushed and primed it before installing the new glass. However, if it's real body work type of rust he may have you take it elsewhere for that.
Will do -- thank you iptman!

Has anyone visited Metal Supermarkets in Alexandria?

Only been to the one in Beltsville. They were pretty fast on the order I had. Metal everywhere seems expensive at this point however.

I've used Winchester Metals for a couple of small needs.
They have a pretty big selection and a lot of machinery if you need sizing, shaping or welding.

Hola strangers! Anyone recommend someone who could do the timing chain guides on a
22RE? Adjusted the valves today and sure enough, the ticking is a broken plastic guide. Everything else is great on the 86 runner but I don’t have time to get into the timing chain as I am working mandatory overtime all the time now at work, am in school remotely, and taking care of some family. I may have to do it myself anyway, but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations. I know it’s too old for most shops…. Any advice? Thanks for any input. Sorry I’m so intermittent. I just need some help.

Powder Coating

Had a very good experience with NV Coatings in Chantilly.

Brought them a set of 5 cosmetically-unpleasant wheels picked up from a breaker yard. Plus a set of new Nokian Outpost ATs. One week later, I am pleased with the results. They sanded out all the gouges on faces and smoothed out any rash on the lips. No metal or filler added.

Good communication. Fair-ish pricing. Excellent finish. Haven't run the setup yet to see how the balance is.

I had always used Asco in Manassas. But didnt care for the work they did on the last two sets a few years back. Plus they won't do much prep work beyond stripping. And they don't deal with tires.

20221208_140930.jpg

Does anyone in the club have a recommendation for a place that fixes vintage audio equipment? @emorth do you or do you know anyone?

I have a 1978 Pioneer SX-780 and the left channel died. It was quiet but now seems to be out completely. Cleaning the controls with deoxit did not help.

Merry Christmas!

Pics for the other nerds out there.

8CF5C450-B765-45D4-94B2-5965D6CEBB97.jpeg

4C33EC58-BD17-46F3-84D9-72BC15F5938B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom