SOLD Looking for FJ60 3.70 carriers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for stock 3.70 carriers preferably local (northern IN or west MI).

I need to verify, but I believe I currently have 4.88 gears in my FJ60. (Maybe somone can weigh in, I run right around 2500 rpm at 70 mph in 5th gear on an H55 trans). I would be open to a trade for my current carriers, if someone is interested.

Let me know if you have any questions or need additional info. I plan to confirm my current ratio sometime next week and will update this thread.

Last edited:
if the diffs are open, not locked, jack up one side of the rear axle, truck in neutral, no park brake, front wheel chocked, place a mark on the driveshaft and count the revolution of the driveshaft to 1 revolution of the tire.
that will get you close to the diff ratio

I need to verify, but I believe I currently have 4.88 gears in my FJ60. (Maybe somone can weigh in, I run right around 2500 rpm at 70 mph in 5th gear on an H55 trans). I would be open to a trade for my current carriers, if someone is interested.

Let me know if you have any questions or need additional info. I plan to confirm my current ratio sometime next week and will update this thread.

if the diffs are open, not locked, jack up one side of the rear axle, truck in neutral, no park brake, front wheel chocked, place a mark on the driveshaft and count the revolution of the driveshaft to 1 revolution of the tire.
that will get you close to the diff ratio

listen to exactly what @3_puppies is saying here ........

you Can't just
WAG this topic ......

also , review this TECH Video twice , its SOLID info and TOYOTA Specoific too .........

then report back what gear ratios you have going on , i bet your surprised what you find out

2500 rpm with an H55 and 33’s almost certainly means 4.11 gears.

We can set you up with whatever ratio you need, ring/pinions, lockers, bearings, etc

www.cruisermatts.com

@cruisermatt / the Staff @ Cruisermatt's off road just Hand Built me to my Exacting Spec's , HJ61 SNOW VERSION Rear Factory Limited SLIP Differential ......

i was impressed by the step by steps use of the Correct OEM TOYOTA SST's in the regular progress photos i requested and indeed received .....

i will be installing it this coming week ......... :)

download (5) - Copy.jpg

Thanks, 3_puppies and Matt for the useful info.

I just checked it and it turns out that I have the stock 3.70 gears in it. The PO thought that it may have been regeared at some point, but apparently not.

Are there standard options out there that are lower ratio than the 3.70, like a 3.30 or 3.40? My primary goal is better road drivability as this is my part-time DD.

You already have an H55. If you’re not satisfied, a different vehicle might be your answer.

Thanks, 3_puppies and Matt for the useful info.

I just checked it and it turns out that I have the stock 3.70 gears in it. The PO thought that it may have been regeared at some point, but apparently not.

Are there standard options out there that are lower ratio than the 3.70, like a 3.30 or 3.40? My primary goal is better road drivability as this is my part-time DD.

Mark’s Australia has 3.54 gears but they are absurdly expensive for almost no gain. If you have a 38mm T-case you can put 10% OD High range gears in it if you still want more top-end gearing.

Thanks, cruisermatt, for the helpful reply. I will look into the T-case gears. I do have a 38 mm, so that's a plus.

you could always do some rubber overdrive and get some larger diameter tires

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom