Houston, we have a problem (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The conversation with manager Ray went well. Yesterday I called and made an appointment at the local Lexus dealer to look at the 4 low, CDL and the seat, in the hopes that manager Ray would take care of these things. He said he would but it would require us paying the local dealer for the repair and then getting reimbursed. He also said he would pay to have it detailed because it looks like the driver and passenger were murdered. The back seat had obvious signs of destructive short people, including brown stains and sticky and dried puddles of soda pop. There are crumbs in the cup holder soda spilled on the side of the front seat ect. I expect this from an individual but not from a dealer and definitely not from a Lexus dealer. These are all items I asked to the salesman multiple times check and let me know if they were not working.

@grinchy
I did try turning it off and on again after putting it in neutral, ahc high and shifting it to 4 low. The dash light just endlessly flashed.
The seat connectors all seem to be secure and connected. I have misplaced my plastic tab pry tool so I will check the fuse in a bit.

The paint is rougher than I expected. The rear quarter by the gas fill has a scratch/dent that was poorly repaired at best. the driver side has a pretty good set of pin stripes down the whole side. There are also the normal " I wash my car with a sandy beach towel" swirl marks. I enjoy paint correction so none of that is a deal breaker. This is a 14 year old vehicle after all.
I have been shopping for an LX for 9 months now. This is the most perfectly maintained 08-11 example I have found in all that time. No wrecks and one owner. It was serviced at the same dealer. It has had every single service done and done on-time with the exception of the transmission. It has new AHC shocks, a new steering rack, new control arms and the rear main seal was replaced. The 120k services were all just completed. It has been a rough entry into 200 ownership but hopefully this is the home stretch.

1669488087675.png

Last edited:
Also try driving alittle bit and try the 4lo and diff lock again. Funny I have to get things warmed up before they will engage. Shouldn't have too but it will work then

Honest question...but why did you buy this particular vehicle? With all the crap going on with it, too numerous to count, was there a reason (cost, miles, maintenance records) that compelled you to go through with the deal? Sorry if I'm being harsh but it sounds like a cluster-f if you ask me and who knows what other problems will come up down the road. I would have either walked or at least ask them to fix ALL the problems before driving it home. It's yours now and there is no guarantee "Manager Ray" will cover you after the fact. All used vehicles are sold as-is and its your liability after you drive it off the lot. I know it's hard to travel all the way from Arkansas to Houston for a vehicle and you probably feel obligated to buy it at that point but sometimes it's better to just walk away and take your lumps than come home with a dud. I hope it turns out okay for you but damn, this is one I would have left without.

My man someone told you they were selling you a race horse and then gave you a donkey. This truck is going to be a nightmare the entirety of your ownership. It's having unprecedented issues that all indicate it was not taken care of very well and it had the hell beaten out of it.

Get the truck to operating temp then put it in park and shut it off and put it in 4 low. Wait 15 mins then go try to start the truck see if that works, if not go under the truck and give the acuator the tractor method with a small rubber mallet.

Also try putting it in 4 low turn off disconnect the battery for 15 and try see if that helps do a hard reset on everything.

If the vehicle was 100% dealer serviced, then don't forget to check the air recirc door in the glove compartment - it is almost 100% likely broken.

On the seat issue. Does the knob on the dashboard have the green light when you turn either heat or cooling on? When i received my 2010 LX. The driver seat must have been taken apart for the crappy leather respray they did, and they did not connect any of the harnesses going between the seat bottom and the seat back. This made it so the switch did not light up when turning on.

This would be a good time to look at getting Techstream. There is an entire info-module in Techstream just for the seats. On mine, it showed a failed temp sensor and the seat ECU basically shut itself off. Sadly, there is also a fairly common occurrence that the seat control ECU fails. Techstream would probably uncover that as well. On the positive side, most of the ECU fail threads were affecting the passenger side. My issue was on the driver's side.

I'll take the other side of this argument. Unless you paid top dollar for this LX assuming an extra clean paint/interior was being sold to you, I wouldn't be too worried yet. Both of your issues with the truck are not uncommon. There are full breakdowns on this site for the CDL/4WD locks if you can't get them going. But i suspect if you get the transfer case warm and continue to attempt to engage, these will eventually move for you. I've also heard of people tapping the CDL/4WD lock housing on the side of the transfer case to get it to free up.

On the seat issue. Does the knob on the dashboard have the green light when you turn either heat or cooling on? When i received my 2010 LX. The driver seat must have been taken apart for the crappy leather respray they did, and they did not connect any of the harnesses going between the seat bottom and the seat back. This made it so the switch did not light up when turning on.

This would be a good time to look at getting Techstream. There is an entire info-module in Techstream just for the seats. On mine, it showed a failed temp sensor and the seat ECU basically shut itself off. Sadly, there is also a fairly common occurrence that the seat control ECU fails. Techstream would probably uncover that as well. On the positive side, most of the ECU fail threads were affecting the passenger side. My issue was on the driver's side.

I'll take the other side of this argument. Unless you paid top dollar for this LX assuming an extra clean paint/interior was being sold to you, I wouldn't be too worried yet. Both of your issues with the truck are not uncommon. There are full breakdowns on this site for the CDL/4WD locks if you can't get them going. But i suspect if you get the transfer case warm and continue to attempt to engage, these will eventually move for you. I've also heard of people tapping the CDL/4WD lock housing on the side of the transfer case to get it to free up.

I would listen to this guy here.
No such thing as a perfect used car, and the question would come down to price.

The CDL is notorious and the carpets are resilient. Paint and bodywork are different issue though, but again depending on price i could live with it.

The maintenance part is the no. 1 item i would weigh in this equation.

But again, price…

Or.....as the case with ours a "corroded" connector inside the kick panel. Took for ever to diagnose it - the thought was sunroof channels clogged and got the assy wet. Even though long dried out the connectors presented higher resistance - seat would work fine then stop (no light illuminated in either heat or "cool").

I did check the fuse on the drivers seat circuit and it checked good.
The light does light up under the control knob.

I have not gone down the techstream rabbit hole. I will get that done. I test drove one with a broken passenger seat so I have been on the look out for the issue ever since.

I did pay a fair price for this LX. At least it is fair with all the major systems functioning. I have some highway driving to do tomorrow to get it to the dealer. I will attempt to put it in 4 low again when I get there.

Tomorrow is the last day to send this back, but I hope to keep it.

Honest question...but why did you buy this particular vehicle?
I have been shopping for an LX for 9 months now.
  • This is the most perfectly maintained 08-11 example I have found in all that time.
  • No wrecks
  • one owner.
  • It was sold, serviced and sold at the same dealer.
  • It has new AHC shocks, and multiple AHC flushes over the years
  • a new steering rack,
  • new control arms
  • The 120k services were all just completed.

Man, I would put in the work to bring closure to all of your issues quickly. Decide if you can deal with them for the $$ you paid.

Dealer servicing means sh!t all if these issues are evident on upon receipt.

Dealers actually have no clue how to "service" much less maintain these vehicles. If the price was good enough, I'd consider keeping based on the new rack/control arms but unless you verify, I'd put my $$ on the fact that the 120k service was NOT done. Dealers have NO incentive to do the servicing properly unless the owner is up their A#$ about what is done and how, and chances are the prior owner had no clue how a vehicle should be maintained (most people who purchase these new are clueless, but that is another thread worth of vitriol i do not think needs to be spewed here).

I honestly hope you got it for a killer deal, make things right, and keep it. Update????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom