Hitch mount bike rack and slee bumper w/ swingout (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just checked the specs on the hitch and it's rated at 200lbs....which is fine for a bike rack, but with it cantilevered out and bouncing, I think all of you are right, there's a high risk of this breaking. I tried plates but don't have the clearance. I think I might actually fab up a bottom plate that flanges up on the sides to accommodate the bottom nuts to work around the clearance issue.
I very rarely open the swingout loaded with bikes. This would cause a lot of stress on the spindle.

NSR bike rack - Canadian made and rugged
Models available for 2, 4 & 6 bikes
Typically we only load two bikes, but it is capable of holding four and swings out with very little stress on the bumper/swing out and folds flat when not in use.

LC1 Soo Valley - June 2020.jpg

NSR bike rack.jpg

I wanted to give an update based on all the awesome feedback you all gave me. I did decide to weld the hitch receiver onto the swing out arm after all. I also left the u-bolts for added security. To give it more support I also welded some angle steel on the bottom of the front and back. I'm feeling pretty good about the rigidity at this point. I'm really loving how high it gets the bikes off the ground. I still need to swing by Slee and see what Cristo has to say about the extra strain on the spindle when opening the arm with bikes on.

IMG_20210816_085806914.jpg
IMG_20210816_085813865.jpg
IMG_20210814_140048038.jpg

Last edited:
Would something like this Yakima rack work? I have an earlier version that holds four bikes, and it has significant clearance between the receiver and the vertical.

Would something like this Yakima rack work? I have an earlier version that holds four bikes, and it has significant clearance between the receiver and the vertical.

Post in thread 'Hitch mount bike rack and slee bumper w/ swingout'
Hitch mount bike rack and slee bumper w/ swingout - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hitch-mount-bike-rack-and-slee-bumper-w-swingout.306795/post-11846022

you mean something like this?

Has anyone tried the VelociRAX with a swing-out yet?

My current setup works for a 2 bike Küat rack but I need to carry at least 3 mountain bikes now (29”, 27.5+ & 20 kids).

To be fair I had to insert the Küat swing attachment upside down in order for the Slee swing outs yo clear it.

D2FAFD08-669C-4BD9-886E-0EF2B2926261.jpeg

DB7448DD-ADCE-4BD2-B975-CC0A2B50E793.jpeg

decided to take the plunge on the wilco... after much scratching around and trying almost every other option. ordered on Amazon, per advise herein, so looking forward to seeing it in the next few days. will update with photos once it's here!

decided to take the plunge on the wilco... after much scratching around and trying almost every other option. ordered on Amazon, per advise herein, so looking forward to seeing it in the next few days. will update with photos once it's here!
despite all the trying, flipping and ultimately calling Wilco to discuss, i have to say this isn't a viable option on a slee bumper with dual swing outs.

The good news is after meeting with the gang from 1up at Expo East a few weeks ago and getting a real-life test-fitting the new design of the rack attach, i think i will finally have a winning combo. It just arrived today, so I'll be able to post some updates shortly. I hope this puts an end to the years-long drama of trying to have it all with bikes, swing outs and overland load outs.

SOLVED! Swingout support on a Slee Bumper using the standard hitch receiver.

This was all in the In the pursuit of "carry all the things" while having the flexibility to bring the bikes along on a trip, yet still gain access to the rear of the vehicle for lunch stops or overnight camps without taking the bikes down. I have a unique jerry can and maxtrax setup (sometimes 2 water/ 1 fuel or 2 fuel/1 water) on my left swing out that I have spent a year or two dialing in.

Additionally, while I could do something like others have done to weld a receiver on one of the arms, I just didn't feel like that was the option for me. I want the flexibility and reliability to use the standard hitch receiver and not modify any of the swing outs, or even change the layout of my accessories.

I have analyzed, theorized, demo'd a number of other solutions and even bought a Wilco thinking it would work. Nope - but good news is the RackAttach2.0 *does* work. I worked with the folks at 1up during Expo East to try out their new RackAttach2.0 - since I didn't have my bikes or rack with me, all we could do was play with what they had at the show. They had enough stuff there to figure out that we could make it work, along with the patience to let me drag the stuff over to my truck and even do some field consulting. The swing out can be used in either direction simply by flipping it over, so can work with other vehicles, where as others have to be ordered a specific swing direction. Helps that it's cheaper than the other options on the market too! Thanks Kurt and team!

Here are some photos with my configuration to show it in action. No funny extensions or anything else was required. Only real recommendation is to use a rack-mounted turn-signal/brake-light setup (i built my own) to ensure visibility since the bikes and swings do obscure the lower brake/turn signals. I will also move the plate to the rack for longer trips outside my state where having the plate partially blocked would cause trouble. I bought the 1up license plate holder for that, which is not shown.

RackAttach2.0 with the HD Single and one extra tray attached:
IMG_6350.jpeg

With all the swing outs and doors open:
IMG_6351.jpeg

It's not even a knee-knocker (looking down at tailgate and hitch mount):
IMG_6354.jpeg

Camp mode with the aux table and stove deployed:
IMG_6353.jpeg

Folded up:

IMG_6362.jpeg

That departure angle makes me nervious....

Been thinking on how to a) limit side mounted (1up etc) wheel protrusion beyond vehicle side profile (think in fork mount) b) limit bike fork/tire protrusion w/r roof profile.

Perfection always gets in the way of done in my world:-(

That departure angle makes me nervious....
I’m not planning for extreme departure angle needs when the bikes are on. More of a “touring” configuration for this mission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom