ONSC Chat (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

70 series Land Cruiser. So much want.

Was always curious about Toyota Gibraltar.

Pretty decent outfit. They used to have an office outside DC for our special needs.

Setting trusses alone with the help of Ferg

316806851_481397810639489_5462345308070161752_n.jpg

316419623_481397693972834_3585271738072340003_n.jpg

I drive by Road Scholars quite frequently, the thing I am most amazed by is that they drive these 1 of 5 porsches made in 1957 in Durham (around Durham drivers)

Genuinely surprised that they have not had a car totaled by a "regular" Durham driver

They also have an F40 in inventory, wonder if they would let me breathe near it
🤔

The father of the road scholar founder had his collection in the warehouse in Durham that blew up. He had 1 of 1 models in there. More than one model. A purple 918. At least 40 P-cars with irreplaceable pedigree and stories. A few early 60s models with barn find garage dust still present. The rarest of the rare. Incredible artwork and trophies. All gone. Sickening.

The father of the road scholar founder had his collection in the warehouse in Durham that blew up. He had 1 of 1 models in there. More than one model. A purple 918. At least 40 P-cars with irreplaceable pedigree and stories. A few early 60s models with barn find garage dust still present. The rarest of the rare. Incredible artwork and trophies. All gone. Sickening.

Bob’s collection is fantastic. He only kept a small portion of it in that warehouse so only some were lost for good. One they restored and trophied at pebble the next year. Bob is also a really nice/good guy. If you ever visit the porsche museum that travels around the country, you’ll see a large portion of the museum is lent out from Bob.

I’ve been fortunate to have Rory give me a few private tours over the years and have been able to see most of it and sit in some cool stuff like his Carrera GT.

Yea...I attended 2 events at the downtown warehouse a few years before the explosion and talked with Bob. For sure a passionate guy. I knew he didn't have everything there, but what was there was the best/rarest in the world. 25+ of the rarest/best/nicest P-cars in the entire world, in one place that blows up, is heart breaking. He has 1 of 1s, 3 of 3s. Stuff with the dirt still on the tires from the Europe countryside 50 years ago. You can't replicate that. Even 'restored', you can't replicate the smell, the documents, the pictures, the trophies, the artwork, the patina. Not all can be replaced.
But yea....seeing a Carrera GT (Didn't he get the first one that was imported?) next to a 918 is amazing.

I sure hope he took the negligent parties to the bank and made them pay for destroying lives, priceless pieces, and things that no one will ever see/experience again.

Garrett finished basic training, off to advanced training (15Y) now. We're proud of him.

IMG_20221130_172706.jpg

Last edited:
All the best to him. I hope he enjoys his time in and can't wait to hear what he is doing.

Hello ONSC! I am stationed at Ft Bragg and have been tracking this club for a while. Unfortunately my FZJ80 V8 swap is going on 2 years at this point, lots of time away from post, and I've never been able to come to a meet.

I am selling the pulled trans and engine for $720 obo at my mechanic's shop up in Lexington, VA. I bought the 1997 cruiser from a guy in New Bern with a rod knock and pulled the engine not long after. Transmission shifted smooth and functioned properly before removal. The engine will need a rebuild but the mains were clean and the head was not warped. Since shipping is so expensive I thought I would see if anyone from NC would like to purchase them since VA is pretty close. I have more pictures and info if anyone is interested. Thanks!

IMG_2109.JPG

IMG_2107.JPG

IMG_2108.JPG

@Shepherd4x4 I am always a sucker for a $500 deal. I am an hour away from Lexington and that engine is screaming for me to pick it up and love on it. Does the mechanic also have the computers and accessories not needed for the swap? That’s where the enticement would be for me. PM or answer on the thread, I am available. Have trailer and will travel.

@Shepherd4x4 I am always a sucker for a $500 deal. I am an hour away from Lexington and that engine is screaming for me to pick it up and love on it. Does the mechanic also have the computers and accessories not needed for the swap? That’s where the enticement would be for me. PM or answer on the thread, I am available. Have trailer and will travel.
DM sent. Thanks!

"he didn't have a lot of formal education, so as a result he didn't say a whole lot"

my oh my, if only that was the way of the world today

I find it strange that people are so quick to speak out and 'remove all doubt' these days
Brother, I work in a public high school. The smart ones are the ones that usually say the least.

Waaaaant

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s a nice little truck and priced right.

It doesn’t look rusty in the photos but I’m sure there is some.

Must resist
Must resist
Have to resist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom