Unbranded rear bumper - 100 Series ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone bought one of these unbranded rear bumpers off ebay ?

This seems to be the most cost-effective option I have found that included a swingout.

But as always, I am dubious of the quality.

1669421724772.png
1669421756256.png

I looked at those when I stumbled on them on Amazon. I couldn't help but notice the tow hitch looks like a bog standard Curtis or some other type rather than a receiver built into the bumper. It made me wonder if the whole bumper isn't just welded onto a $200 hitch. The swingout retainer pins looked really cheap and noisy. I also wasn't a fan of how far down the quarterpanel it hangs. Lastly? All the pics on ebay or Amazon are small and fuzzy or taken with crazy Dutch angles. Good products usually have good pictures. I know you asked if anyone bought one, but those were just my observations when I looked. For a 'budget' rear bumper, the Dobinsons is probably worth the few hundred more.

The culmination of ugly, poor design, and bad quality.... the trifecta!

Don't bother. If you are after budget, get a kit from 4x4labs

Or the DIY rear bumper kit from Coastal Off Road.

Keep the stock one. I don’t ge why people are obsessed with a tire swing out. Buy good tires and keep spare under the truck.

4x4 labs makes a great bumper for $300 more

Keep the stock one. I don’t ge why people are obsessed with a tire swing out. Buy good tires and keep spare under the truck.
Kinda about space.

Relocate 5/10g water tank to swing our = more internal space, relocate x# propane tank to swing out = more internal space/safety, carry 2nd spare for way out there runs (read Baja) = peace of mind, mount mtb to swing out = more internal space.

There ya go. Obsession warranted (in my world).

NB: working hard to keep weight in spec.

Also another option.. if you are into fab stuff or have a good shop to do it.. and don’t need the protection / weight of a full rear bumper.

Kinda about space.

Relocate 5/10g water tank to swing our = more internal space, relocate x# propane tank to swing out = more internal space/safety, carry 2nd spare for way out there runs (read Baja) = peace of mind, mount mtb to swing out = more internal space.

x2 but most importantly, it's where I store the used wag bags until they can be thrown away. :rofl:

I've been looking at this same one. It seems cheap, cheap, cheap and ugly. But my factory bumper cover fell off a few weeks ago and no bumper doesn't look great either. But for 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of a loaded out alternative, I'm seriously considering it. The seller sent me additional pictures of it. The welds don't look bad; weight is 55kgs, so it's not terribly off par with others. Dobinson is the second closest in $, but they won't ship to my door. I wouldn't tow with that hitch. The lights are probably junk, but in exchange for saving that much, I can source alternative / better options and re-wire it.

Ehhhhhh.... Should I take one for the team here and try it out?

Just saw this thread. I actually have this bumper, I bought it off craigslist for $850, it was brand new. You really can’t beat that price, it’s about a third of what any other dual swing out bumper would cost including the spare tire carrier and dual jerrycan holder. It’s not great, but it’s not that bad. The main thing I hate about it is how far down those side panels hang. Why why why?!?! There’s nothing there, why didn’t they just wrap them under? It would look better and I wouldn’t have to worry about catching a rock there. Aside from that complaint, the install was fairly straightforward, no frame modification. The led lights aren’t that bad. The swing outs are smooth and cinch down securely, although there was no dust seal on the hinges, so I suspect they will require regular grease. The pins on the swing outs seem a bit subpar but they function reasonably well for now. The welds seem decent enough. That tow hitch though, don’t think I’d trust it. But I don’t tow.

5EE883C7-A354-4C0D-A10A-C2B1001D5D85.jpeg

Kinda about space.

why not a legit roof rack for that price? instead of 2nd spare, have a tire repair kit unless you're that hardcore with your 100. I drove through parts of the Baja 1000, and never had any issues with my tires.

I wouldn't trust that ebay bumper with my MTB. If you're like me, your MTB is worth much more than that bumper.

Plus unless the dual swings have shocks to assist with the opening, it can be a pain to open if you're at some unleveled trail.

592559d1bd77333bc7b32b63b0c3a2629963f852-1.jpg

Roof rack: roofs are only rated for relatively light loads.

I would not like too much weight up that high as it changes rig center of gravity. Especially in conjunction with the usual lifts (mainly suspension but also body).

I have first hand experience in this. Took a trip w. Copilot (wife) on the alpine loop in Colorado. We were headed down a shelf road and encountered some side-by-sides heading up. Up hill has right of way. Being that there were no pull outs behind us, I found an area where I could pull over on the uphill side. Basically, uphill rear tire started "unloading" (lifting?). Luckily I pulled forward w. Stearing wheel point down hill, thus minutely shifting center a gravity in a benificial way. Reason: recently added suspension lift (approx 2") in conjunction with lack of experience in that mode (been "overlanding" for 30 yrs). Wife almost divorced me due to experience of hanging in mid-air because of seatbelt.

Any weight on roof (like roof rack) would have resulted in a roll...long roll.

I was lucky.

I would have no qualms at all about putting a mountain bike on that bumper. I’d just hesitate to tow with it. It’s fine, it does it’s job well, it just lacks some elegance that the more expensive bumpers have. I use the vehicle to camp and to do some moderate four wheeling, I suppose I go “overlanding” but I really hate that word. Since I’m parking on level ground at camp, I don’t need shocks on the swing outs. I find the rack an inconvenient place to store things, and I like to keep the wind noise and center of gravity low. This bumper is fine if you aren’t towing and doing hard core rock crawling.

I would have no qualms at all about putting a mountain bike on that bumper. I’d just hesitate to tow with it. It’s fine, it does it’s job well, it just lacks some elegance that the more expensive bumpers have. I use the vehicle to camp and to do some moderate four wheeling, I suppose I go “overlanding” but I really hate that word. Since I’m parking on level ground at camp, I don’t need shocks on the swing outs. I find the rack an inconvenient place to store things, and I like to keep the wind noise and center of gravity low. This bumper is fine if you aren’t towing and doing hard core rock crawling.

I mean, a tire in the factory spot is lower... and a 33" tire fits under there fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom