Builds 79 Aussie BJ55 build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got out on Sunday to Swanston Track for a day wheel.. Had the dog and 2 kids with me and went with one other car (dual cab hilux)...
i.php

I tried the go pro again but only turned it on at the start of the track - forgot to press record!

i.php

Stopped here for lunch
i.php

Then figured out the go pro by pressing the button..

i.php

i.php

Spent about $30 at the car wash trying to clean it... I really don't enjoy mud but its hard to avoid down here..

Did a bit of pottering about yesterday afternoon. I had this 6 way fuse panel with bus'ed +ve and -ve.. so added that to the rear to tidy up the wiring back there.. Switched my outlets too so it's not on all the time when not in use..

i.php

I still need to make a proper trim panel to house the sockets and more switches but that was more work than I was up for yesterday arvo, so zipties would do as a temp solution..
i.php

Cabin lights are wired in and on all the time now (i.e. when its dark enough and detects motion = lights come on).. it would be good to have a switched override but I haven't figured that out yet. I also wired the 2nd battery into the redarc dual voltmeter so for the first time in over a year thats not showing an alarm!

Been a while since an update...

Had a mate call for help when we tried to leave his in-laws block after a weekend of rain.. took a highligt to get maxtrax under his front end and a winch to get him out..
i.php

Some goodies from Ace Overland turned up in the mail!
i.php

Got some adjustable lower arms to better adjust the rear wheels in the wheel arch..
PSRLAN-015.jpg

Not long after installing these I developed a sound in the rear end... which turned out to be a munched pinion bearing! I first thought that bashing the exhaust with the pinion flange did it, but when i went to reinstall the rear driveshaft I found i couldn't compress it past the static length. It seems that the power of the 15BFT was enough to twist the rear drive shaft and stop it compressing. Combined with pulling the rear diff forward on the control arms it put too much pressure on the outer pinion bearing which flogged out the seal and caused diff oil to go everywhere. I also found the driveshaft yoke had cracked.
i.php

I got a bloke in the club to dial in the rear center after I'd replaced the pinion bearing for a carton of beers:
i.php

nearly $600 for a new drive shaft spline and yoke I got this back...
i.php

needless to say they ended up lengthing it again for no cost..

Ordered and received some Superior Engineering 3" Castor Correction Radius arms. After installing the 2" lift I'd been rolling around on -1deg castor.. once these were installed it was immediately noticable and now such a pleasure to drive..
20221124220047-1920424a-me.jpg
20221124215959-12b2dcc1-me.jpg
20221124215928-04ed5f9b-me.jpg

Everything clears with extended swaybar links.. also built some 80mm rear bump stop extensions to limit up travel in the rear

Cracked 310000kms! 20k kms since registration!
20221124220016-ba3e1dd1-me.jpg

Ordered but yet to receive superior engineering HD drag link and tie rods..

Finally got my rear bar and quarter panel protection installed..
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php

Got the swingouts fabbed just need to finish them off with a spare wheel carrier and other bits and pieces.
i.php
i.php

oh and my family is so rough on the gear.. passenger door handle nearly ripped out.. not sure where I'll find a replacement..
i.php

There were plans to go camping this weekend but looks like that might have fallen through..

Last edited:
Big update!

Some great progress and some repairs I’m sure you’d rather have not had to do.

Big update!

Some great progress and some repairs I’m sure you’d rather have not had to do.
All part and parcel of a custom build such as this.. bound to be things like that... oh well.. just gotta ease up on the right foot and treat my driveline with a bit more sympathy!

picked up my steering bits today! yay

i.php

also got time to weld out the spare wheel swing out although need a few more tweaks. I want to add hi lift mount to it somehow but its a tight squeeze.. It also needs a stopper to hold it open too.. bit of weight there!
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php

Been a while since an update...

Had a mate call for help when we tried to leave his in-laws block after a weekend of rain.. took a highligt to get maxtrax under his front end and a winch to get him out..
i.php

Some goodies from Ace Overland turned up in the mail!
i.php

Got some adjustable lower arms to better adjust the rear wheels in the wheel arch..
PSRLAN-015.jpg

Not long after installing these I developed a sound in the rear end... which turned out to be a munched pinion bearing! I first thought that bashing the exhaust with the pinion flange did it, but when i went to reinstall the rear driveshaft I found i couldn't compress it past the static length. It seems that the power of the 15BFT was enough to twist the rear drive shaft and stop it compressing. Combined with pulling the rear diff forward on the control arms it put too much pressure on the outer pinion bearing which flogged out the seal and caused diff oil to go everywhere. I also found the driveshaft yoke had cracked.
i.php

I got a bloke in the club to dial in the rear center after I'd replaced the pinion bearing for a carton of beers:
i.php

nearly $600 for a new drive shaft spline and yoke I got this back...
i.php

needless to say they ended up lengthing it again for no cost..

Ordered and received some Superior Engineering 3" Castor Correction Radius arms. After installing the 2" lift I'd been rolling around on -1deg castor.. once these were installed it was immediately noticable and now such a pleasure to drive..
20221124220047-1920424a-me.jpg
20221124215959-12b2dcc1-me.jpg
20221124215928-04ed5f9b-me.jpg

Everything clears with extended swaybar links.. also built some 80mm rear bump stop extensions to limit up travel in the rear

Cracked 310000kms! 20k kms since registration!
20221124220016-ba3e1dd1-me.jpg

Ordered but yet to receive superior engineering HD drag link and tie rods..

Finally got my rear bar and quarter panel protection installed..
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php

Got the swingouts fabbed just need to finish them off with a spare wheel carrier and other bits and pieces.
i.php
i.php

oh and my family is so rough on the gear.. passenger door handle nearly ripped out.. not sure where I'll find a replacement..
i.php

There were plans to go camping this weekend but looks like that might have fallen through..
There is a lot going on in this post!
Torn up pastures, cool Pig shirts, adjustable rod ends, twisted drive shafts, new swing outs - lots of winning here!

Rear bar done.. just need to bolt on an Ammo box for recovery gear...

i.php
i.php

The hi-lift is close on the door and the bolt has a handle on it so I can undo it without tools.. The spare wheel receiver can slid in/out for different width wheels too..
i.php
i.php

Both swingouts lock open..
i.php

i.php

Last edited:
Love the Stickers in the window. Be nice if you could make it for 1!! Way to $$% ,costly though. Love the Spirit 😉
Represent Pig parties down under! I'd love to go over too but not sure it'll be in my rig. I might have to see if I can manage another work trip to the US with a side of pork for kicks! I reckon getting on the cans with you folks is right up my alley!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom