Cabin filter got downgraded (not related to recirc door) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have always locked my glove box for fear of a new or rushed technician busting the recirculation door open while changing the cabin filter and at 40000 miles I thought I should replace it. I purchased the filter at my local dealership while the cruiser was in for it's oil change.

Perhaps this is a result of the times but the new filter looks very cheap (see pic), kinda like something you would see on a china version of ebay. Fewer pleats, no support between the ribs and super flimsy.

Is this the future for Toyota parts and would the Lexus version fit or be of a higher quality?

PXL_20221126_002037551.jpg

I have always locked my glove box for fear of a new or rushed technician busting the recirculation door open while changing the cabin filter and at 40000 miles I thought I should replace it. I purchased the filter at my local dealership while the cruiser was in for it's oil change.

Perhaps this is a result of the times but the new filter looks very cheap (see pic), kinda like something you would see on a china version of ebay. Fewer pleats, no support between the ribs and super flimsy.

Is this the future for Toyota parts and would the Lexus version fit or be of a higher quality?

View attachment 3177851
Please post a picture of the box and part number label

Try 87139-30040

There are multiple filters that fit. As for the wrong filter sold that is somewhat gray area. Is it wrong if it is not the same that came with the car but still a part number that fits your truck? Or is it wrong if the filter is higher grade and more expensive than the original one, but still matches part numbers? You see, you can go either way and I think in both scenarios Toyota will say that dealer sold you the "right" filter.

BTW there are aftermarket filters just as good as the premium charcoal Toyota filter much cheaper. I like Kootek Premium Cabin Air Filter charcoal PN:KCF005; very good quality, perfect fit, $13 for 2.

@Noracenumber I double checked the number because I'm aware of the dealer-parts-counter-sightline-wipers-branded-as-toyota scam.. yes some parts are sold at dealers that technically fit but aren't original quality.

I personally avoid letter-soup brands from amazon on principle. As infrequently as I need a cabin filter I can pay the discount site prices for genuine toyota.

I replaced my cabin air filter with a K&N reusable cabin air filter, Part#VF2000. It is built solid, fits in the plastic frame perfectly and works like a charm. Plus, it includes the "K&N Stop" decal so, assuming that the shop monkeys can read, they will leave it alone and save the recirc flap from damage. I put the decal right on the access door in plain sight of God and everybody.

OEM Toyota selection. None are YZZ82 Change in 2016 to a different part number?
C63F8B3B-57AC-4FB5-BB22-FFF571F25EB2.png

Any chance the LX version fits?

I use the lexus GX filters on the 4runner and they seem to be better made (plus its charcoal activated)

I change the filter every year so it is not infrequent for me. After all it filters the air I breath. The charcoal filter is the one to get no matter where you chose to get it.

The economy filter is a joke. I had it on my truck when I got it, installed by a Lexus dealer. It is the worse air filter I ever seen.

I got a Bosch brand on Amazon and it was like one pleat too small. And branded as a HEPA filter….with quarter inch gaps….

I went Toyota and was offered basic and charcoal. And was charged basically 30 each for the charcoal. Ridiculous. But I was in a rush.

Good to know about a specific good cheap option

I tried that Bosh HEPA filter and did not like. I do not recommend. I returned it.

K&N mentioned above is a good one to. Although you have to clean and reuse to get your money.

Other filters I tired are WIX, FRAM, Mahle but not particularly impressed.

Last edited:
I change the filter every year so it is not infrequent for me. After all it filters the air I breath. The charcoal filter is the one to get no matter where you chose to get it.

This. Always charcoal.

Also, If anyone doesn’t know what that dotted flow button does in the menu:

It closes the full time external 20% mix damper and forces full 100% recirc filtering and cleans the cabin air for 3 minutes.

Great for allergies or driving through livestock fields.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I returned the economy version and went with the 87139-50100. It is the charcoal version and although it has lost the support between the ribs it has a better fit.

View attachment 3178271
Thanks for the information/education, and part #.
I used 87139-07020, I'm pretty sure it's not charcoal activated. I'll be going with the 50100 from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom